TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 26, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 26, 2013 users admin

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 6:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Lol they are intimidating but well worth the ride. There was only one of them that I found a bit draggy but I won't say which. I'm enjoying getting to know Claire and Jamie all over again. Have fun TNT .

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 5:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Jasper - the one that had the never-ending day at the beginning? :-) However, I LOVED that one later when Jamie was "confessing" to the priest about Claire's butter churning! LOL

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I read Outlander and didn't like it. I know I am in the minority here.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, July 22, 2013 - 5:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I think I tried one too Mamie, and felt likewise. Bet we'd like the film version though.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 22, 2013 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mamie & Mame - I'm with you two. Stories about time-travel hold zero appeal for me. (But I thoroughly respect/understand the appeal they have to the masses!)

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, July 22, 2013 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Tnt, once you get through "Outlander" and then "Dragonfly", you'll HAVE to read "Voyager"...it's so good!!

I have all the novels on my Kindle in book and audible form. I really enjoyed "reading" along as I listened to Davina Porter read "Outlander" to me. I loved Davina's English?/Scottish? accent as she read the opening novel about Claire and Jamie to me.

This series is about historical time travel and an awesome romance. An excellent read for those who enjoy history, time travel and romance. I truly hope the mini series presents "Outlander" as closely as it is written by Diana Gabaldon.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 7:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
And I love the humor in it. In Voyager there is a weddding on a beach with a drunk priest, sheep with ribbons in their wool, and a question of anatomy arises. While it has a main romance at the center of it, the historical aspects takes precedent over the "bodice-ripping," and family ties are just as important as well.

The fact that she has a PhD in science (3 degrees actually) and has always loved research helps her write intelligently as well. I love that I can use her books as examples of descriptive narrative, dialogue, AND vocabulary building. :-)

BACK ON TOPIC: I am LOVING The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. I was able to read a good chunk yesterday, and I'm hoping to finish it today. The touch of the unusual (feeling the baker's feelings through food and the disappearance/reappearance of a sibling - physics experiment, possible?) has completely intrigued me.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished Tapestry of Fortunes by Elizabeth Berg. I really liked it. It had such warmth and a joy for life.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The PD James I just finished (A Taste for Murder) was a bit of a workout due to its bloated length, but it was satisfying overall.

I fortunately have a bit of fluff for a change of pace: Man Up! Tales of My Delusional Self-Confidence by Ross Mathews (a.k.a. "Ross The Intern" from the Tonight Show with Jay Leno). He's a laugh riot on the show and the book is basically the same except for all the foul language he's not allowed to say on TV.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Teach - Voyager has to be my favourite if I have to pick one. Slowly reading, Geilles just came in to the picture. And yes the endless day~~~

Finished The Silver Star by Jeanette Walls, I did not like it. My grandpa just read The Glass Castle and loved it and I believe Scout mentioned her other books were better, so I'll still read the others when the opportunity arises.

Listening to Unexpected Blessings by Barbara Taylor Bradford.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I just finished The Innocent Man by John Grisham, a riveting and disturbing true-crime story. Grisham read an obituary, delved into the details, and realized he could never create such a rich, layered story. So, he wrote his first nonfiction book.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
ack I dumped that audio book already. could not get into it. instead listening to Summer Fever by Mary Kay Andrews. see how this one goes.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Wasn't Grisham's first book about a man falsely accused - and possibly on death row? Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction, apparently!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
That is the plot of The Innocent Man. He published it in 2006 and called it his first work of nonfiction.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. It was good.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 3:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
My book club has selected "The Water Is Wide" by Pat Conroy for our next meeting. I am not a Pat Conroy fan, but would like to hear the opinion of others - in gneneral or about this book. Please share -

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
TNT- That`s one of my all-time fave books! Saw the movie starring Jon Voight (Conrack) years ago. Then bought the book and became a HUGE fan of Coroy`s, and have read almost EVERYTHING he`s ever written. Love that man to pieces. And of course seen most of the other films.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thank, Mame! I value your opinon -

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks TNT. I HOPE you enjoy it. Hugz. While googling I discovered that the movie was remade in 2006 with the actual title of the book The Water is Wide. I'll have to check it out. (Conrack came out in 1976)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, July 26, 2013 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I've started The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty and I am reading Forever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Really liking both of them so far.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 26, 2013 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I loved The Water is Wide.. it was made into a movie, "Conrack". The people on the island tended to call Conroy Conrack.

I love autobiographical books anyway and he's an engaging writer to boot.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 26, 2013 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And now I keep hearing The Water is Wide in my head!

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/james+taylor/
the+water+is+wide_20069248.html

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 26, 2013 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Songwriters: CABRIERES, JEAN-PAUL / TRADITIONAL,The water is wide
I can't cross over
And neither have
I wings to fly
Build me a boat
That can carry two
And both shall row
My love and i

There is a ship
And she sails the sea
She's loaded deep
As deep can be
But not so deep
As the love I'm in
I know not how
I sink or swim

Oh love is handsome
And love is fine
The sweetest flower
When first it's new
But love grows old
And waxes cold
And fades away
Like summer dew

Build me a boat
That can carry two
And both shall row
My love and i
And both shall row
My love and i

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, July 26, 2013 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I love Eva Cassidy's version of that song as I am sure you do too Sea (we raved about her in another thread). :-)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, July 26, 2013 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Love the song but had never made the connection - a day when I don't learn something is a day wasted!