TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 24, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 24, 2013 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, April 15, 2013 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Finished Amity & Sorrow. It was hard to read at times but very good. I am still reading Debbie's book and I also started From the Kitchen of Half Truth.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, April 15, 2013 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I found Sachi Parker's Lucky Me to be odd and disturbing. Did not enjoy it at all.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
My book club is wanting to select a Hemingway book. I do NOT want to read anything even vaguely connected with war - any suggestions?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Not sure that is possible. Even his posthumously published book (Islands in the Stream) relates to the war in the second section...

The Sun Also Rises as least isn't focused on war (nor is the previous book), but both look at the impact of war.

For Whom the Bell Tolls deals with the Spanish Civil War, so that might be a little more removed and easier to deal with?

Good luck! Have you thought about just looking at some of his collect essays instead?

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 6:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thank you for your thoughtful answer, Teach!

Are you familiar also with "A Moveable Feast?"

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
How about "The Old Man and the Sea"?

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Good thought, Jimmer! I THINK I have read that one and it should be "safe" enough for my tender feelings. I understand that fighting/wars have been going on since the first caveman picked up a stick in one hand and a rock in the other, but I don't choose to spend my leisure time reading/thinking about it!!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Old Man and the Sea bored me to tears!!!! (But our male, fisherman English teacher loved it ... different strokes of the rowboat for different folks! :-) )

I haven't read a Moveable Feast...sorry. :-(

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I have to confess that I'm not much of a Hemingway fan though I haven't read him in years.

I didn't enjoy The Old Man and the Sea all that much either. But it's not about war so it fits that criteria.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
How did they settle on Hemingway?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 6:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished From the Kitchen of Half Truth and loved it. The main character of Meg did get me agitated at times but it was really a lovely, sad story about a mother and a daughter and losing that mother. I cried a few times.

I started The Humanity Project by Jean Thompson.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Sea - We read "The Paris Wife" for the next to last book club (Hemingway's firt wife, Hadley) and watched "Hemingway and Gellhart" - about his third wife - for our last meeting so it seemed like we might want to actually read something HE wrote!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 9:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well I guess that makes sense.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 2:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
"Final Jeopardy" by Linda Fairstein. Fast paced and engaging characters - her debut novel circa 1996.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just bought Nora Robert's WHISKEY BEACH, and a 2012 'quick-read' by Maeve Binchy, FULL HOUSE.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Reading through Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. After hearing so much about it, I thought it was time to read it. Clearly I hadn't paid attention, because I just thought it was about a group of friends going to Greece. Imagine my surprise when they actually got there! About half-way through and expect to finish it within a couple of days, since it's also the weekend for marking period grades and uploading all our "data" evidence to "prove" we're "effective" teachers. Ugh ... I'm definitely enjoying the "escapist" novel! :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I really liked the Traveling Pants series.

I finished The Humanity Project and it was okay for me, not up to all the hype but others might disagree.

I am reading The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. by Nichole Bernier and The Banks of Certain Rivers by Jon Harrison. An author that I wrote a review for sent me an email asking if I would read and write a review of Jon Harrison's book and she sent me a copy for my Kindle. Love the free books!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I liked the Travelling Pants series, too..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am a happy camper today because I received two advance copies from publishers that I really wanted. Sweet Salt Air by Barbara Delinsky and Always Watching by Chevy Stevens. They both come out in June.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Anxious to hear your review of 'Always Watching' by Chevy Stevens. I really enjoyed her first two books.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I have to tell you all-- here I thought I was reading Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, when all along I was reading Sisterhood Everlasting! Evidently there are FIVE books in this series, and I read the LAST one! DUH! I did enjoy it, but now I have very little incentive to read any of the other ones since I already know how it ends!

Won't have time to read anything but Song of Solomon (Morrison) and Their Eyes Were Watching God (Hurston) for the next three weeks as my AP kids are reading one or the other. I'm a bit nervous as this is the first time I've taught Song since the huge fiasco at school when a group of parents not only tried to get the book banned but came to board meetings 7 months in a row and maligned my character.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mamie, lucky you. I luv Delinsky`s books! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Aww, teach, too bad you missed the earlier books. I sort of fought that last book and how things turned out.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 3:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am reading my way through Jane Langton's Homer Kelly series - I love to find an author with a substantial body of work just waiting to be discovered!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 5:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I am reading Stephen King's Under the Dome. This would have been a good one to read on my Kindle due to the large size. It gets heavy on my lap! It is a fascinating concept, lots of interesting characters, too much gore and injustice for my taste, but I am enjoying it otherwise so far. I wanted to read it before the tv movie airs.