TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 25, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 25, 2013 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Yes, I loved The Good House! But I do love Ann's writing. Have you read her other two books? I love An Innocent, A Broad. It's about when she and Denis were living abroad and she had her son. Great read.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Vintage Ladybug Farm by Donna Ball. I love this series, it is humorous and heartwarming. Three middle age women leave their lives in the big city, pool their resources and buy a run down farm. In this book they are attempting to start a winery.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Gal, are you reading Clive Davis yet? Several intersting things out there already.. as in him being bisexual and Clive vs Kelly Clarkson argument.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just finished Carol Sheilds' THE STONE DIARIES, after starting it last night. Impressive, engrossing & unique. It won the Canadian Governor General's Award & American Pullitzer Prize in the '90s.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Finished the Ladybug book this morning; now on to A Week in Winter. I have a bittersweet feeling about this. I'm looking forward to reading a new Binchy book but am sad that it will be the last one.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 11:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Anntie, that is hard, to know it is the last book. I'll wait until the Kindle price drops, and then enjoy it.

Have you read any of Rosamunde Pilcher's books? I suppose you have, but if not, then try those.. excellent.. I think I actually liked her a bit more than Binchy (which isn't to say anything bad about Binchy, because I loved her books.)

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, I'm not reading it yet - I'm fourth on the library list to order it, so I'm guessing once it arrives I'll get it immediately. If I love it I'll buy it. I've been following the contretemps with Clarkson; quite frankly, I believe her side of things. Clive isn't exactly known for his gentle encouragement of his artists (more like iron-fisted control of them), and that free-for-all over her "My December" album (I think that was the one) was constantly in the news at that time.

I'd never thought about Clive's sexuality (shudder) but I wasn't surprised to hear he is bi or gay. I don't know how one gets middle aged and all of a sudden starts batting exclusively for your own team, but he says that's what he did. He's had a number of allegedly gay artists under his wing who have been shoved hard into the closet (Barry Manilow, possibly Whitney Houston and Alicia Keys, etc.) Weird that he's so open about that being a fact of his life but had no problem hiding his artists' preferences.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
He's probably open about it because he doesn't feel it will significantly impact his career.

I believe Kelly as well. In fact, I don't generally enjoy autobiographies all that much as I think they are often distorted. I've studied too much history to buy into a lot of what people write about themselves.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
This is true, Jimmer - the difference between Ingrid Bergman's autobiography and her biography is pretty significant. Same with David Nivens'.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, thanks for mentioning Pilcher. I haven't read her in years. I'll get some next library trip.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Gal, I don't have the article, or maybe it was online, but I'm sure he will 'splain it all in the book about his shifting sexuality, but he's in a long term committment, male, now.

I also believe Kelly. I've never seen her as anything but direct. He has, of course countered her statements and claims that at least 5 people corroborate everything in his book.. hmm.. he must have no private life at all.

And really, he's dealt with many many people. I suspect Kelly's memory of her own struggle with him would be clearer than his memory.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Friday, February 22, 2013 - 4:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
MameB, I love Cathy Kelly, too. Haven't read that book, though, so will put it on my list. I have a thing for most Irish authors. I think they write characters well. Also like Rosamunde Pilcher, Seamonkey.

Mamie,I haven't read anything else by Ann Leary. Picked this one off the library shelf randomly. Just found out that she is Denis Leary's wife... interesting. Will put her others on my list, too. Just love it when I find a new author to give me new reading possibilities.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, February 22, 2013 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished With Or Without You, quite the story. It's unbelievable what some people are like as parents.

I am still reading Touch and Go but I also started Love Anthony by Lisa Genova. I have loved her other two books and look forward to reading this one.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 22, 2013 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL, well that cost me.. I also LOVED the first two Lisa Genova books, so I just grabbed the third at full price. There are a few authors like that, and she's one of them. When Beverly Jenkins puts out the next book in the "Blessings" series (she is quite prolific in the african american historical romance genre, but I've only read her Blessings series, all about a town and well.. just a fabulous series.. but the next isn't due until 2014 and all her fans of that series are anxious.

Anyway, looks like Love Anthony could be next, once I get across Africa with my current book.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 6:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am winding up my re-reading orgy of Ngaio Marsh's wonderful books, so was very grateful for title and author suggestions here!

Anntie

09-03-2010

Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Enjoyed A Week in Winter. Now I'm reading "Footprints in the Sand" by Mary Jane Clark. Never read her before and so far it is good as mysteries go.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
That last sentence makes no sense. For a typical mystery it is a good book so far. Is that any better? My brain seems to be scrambled from eating too many Valentine's day truffles.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished Touch & Go. It was a good suspenseful story. I haven't read her other books, Lisa Gardner, but they are following the same detectives. I do have the precursor to this book on my TBR pile.

Besides reading Love Anthony, I am also reading Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler. I like how both books have started out so far.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 8:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Anntie, for what it's worth, I understood what you were saying the first time.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading another mystery; "A Deadly Grind" a vintage Kitchen Mystery by victoria Hamilton.
Set in a small town in Michigan. A vintage cookware and cookbook collector stumbles on a murder.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Crossing the Heart of Africa and enjoyed that.

Now reading Love Anthony and about half way through that and already bought another book because of that..

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
For those who like Irish authors I can recommend Sheila O'Flanagan.

I did finish The Good Father which was okay, reading Lady Sophie's Lover by Lisa Kleypas and listening to Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, I read Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher years ago and I LOVED IT!!! Haven't read any of her other books though. I have them, just haven't gotten around to reading them.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Okay, I've been trying to remember the name of Rosemunde Pilcher's "big" breakout book - The Shell Seekers, righ?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes and there was a movie (tv movie, I think) but as I remember it the book was better.