TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 18, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 18, 2012 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Now that Fifty Shades of Gray is all the rage, Anne Rice has been flogging (pardon the S&M pun) her old S&M 'Beauty Series' on her Facebook page.

The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy is a series of three novels written by American author Anne Rice under the pseudonym of A. N. Roquelaure.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 10:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Anne Rice (Interview with the Vampire, and The Wolf Gift) posted this today on FB:

It seems that The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy is the answer to a question on Jeopardy this evening. Thanks to the many who have posted on this. Jeopardy hasn't come on yet here on the West Coast. I think I'll watch. My, but the times, they are a changing.}

Denecee

09-05-2002

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
might have to read those Ann Rice "Beauty Series"!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Mame, they are S&M?

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Is 50 Shades of Grey lendable on kindle fire? If so, I'd love to borrow it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Escapee it might be B & D. I get that stuff mixed up. LoL.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Hmmm, I am going on a sixteen hour drive and need a good book. I really don't think I'd enjoy 50 Shades of Gray after reading the reviews.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Denecee I recommend her book Exit To Eden. Can't remember if it's under her real name or her pseudonym. Although it's erotica it has a fun plot. A gawdawful comedy movie was made with Dan Acroyd & Rosie Odonell but their characters aren't even in the book. Oy!

Denecee

09-05-2002

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mame for the recommendation. Finished all the "Fifty Shades" books. I already want to read it again!

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
50 Shades is not lendable (was going to borrow from a friend and couldn't.) Finished the series but got confused with the "bonus" stuff at the end. Felt it was unnecessary....but did make me think I would like to read a version from Taylor's point of view.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I loved the "bonus" stuff at the end. I think I am in love with a fictional character!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Just finished listening to the book on cd "The Sisters Who Would be Queen; Mary, Katherine and Lady Jane Grey." Written by Leanda de Lisle, it was an engrossing story and really made time fly on my recent drive to Arkansas. Learned a number of new things about these generally neglected members of the Tudor dynasty (each of whom were in turn heirs to the throne under the wills of Henry VIII and Edward VI). Elizabeth I comes off as quite inhumane and shrewish with regard to her treatment of the two younger sisters. Of course, Elizabeth and Mary I had their own hard times when heirs illegitimate, I guess they both just passed it along to the Grey girls and Mary Queen of Scots. Sort of like a fraternal hazing on steroids.

Also just finished "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock 'N' Roll Generation Saved Hollywood" by Peter Biskind. It is about the death of the major movie studios and the rise of the auteur wanna-be's in the '70's: Lucas, Spielberg, Coppola, Friedkin, Scorcese, etc. Excellent read, very detailed. The bus is run forward and backward over Dennis Hopper. Apparently he was absolutely out of control, and his insanity was fueled a millions times over by drugs and alcohol. Strongly recommend this book for movie fans.

Now on to "Winter King: Henry VII and the Dawn of Tudor England." Henry VII is another Tudor who kind of gets neglected in favor of the sexier Henry VIII and his spawn. Usually what I find on him is swept into books that are more focused on the War of the Roses.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sounds like books you love, Gal!

I'm still reading The Executioner's Song

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 7:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I finished "That Woman" The Life of Wallis Simpson by Anne Seeba. Very interesting.

I've started "Elizabeth the Queen" by Sally Bedell Smith. I am enjoying this one too. I'm learning so many tidbits about the family.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 7:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Is "The Executioner's Song" the story of Gary Gilmore? For some reason that sticks in my brain from many years ago...didn't they make a movie out of it that Tommy Lee Jones starred in?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Yes it was, Roxip.

Just finished a page-turner title 15 Seconds by Andrew Gross. It kept me reading all through the day. I think it comes out in the early part of July.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, what Mamie said. I read it years ago in paperback (a very thick book!!) and then handed the book over to a woman who had read 3/4 of the book, when some dingbat friend of ours threw away a bag she said was trash, but there was this heavy book in it.. so she finished reading mine and I told her to pass it along. I'd been wanting to re-read it on Kindle but took awhile for I guess the estate of Norman Mailer to make it available.

Roseanna Arquette played Nicole in the movie.

So many people wanting to make a buck off them..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I've started Both of Us by Ryan O'Neal. I was hoping my copy of Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn would have been here today but it will be the next book, hopefully.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished The Executioner's Song.. quite a book and so much research for it. I appreciated it 30 years ago and appreciated it again.

Started a short YA book, Saint Training, by Elizabeth Fixmer. Cute book and likeable..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Saint Training was delightful, thoughtful and I was lucky to get it for free back in 2010 and happy to have read it now.

Next will be a freebie I got yesterday, The Pet Psychic Diaries by Jeanne Miller (who it seems is a pet medium..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and absolutely loved it! It's so dark and twisty and just too much fun to read.

Starting The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty now.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, June 18, 2012 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Yesterday - the whole darn day almost! - I read "MWF Seeking BFF." I loved it and recommend it highly - well worth the couple of months I was on the waiting list at the library.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 18, 2012 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Fnished The Psychic Diaries which was short, okay but I kind of hated that she stopped consulting in lost cat cases because a lost cat told her he wasn't lost, but that the husband had been abusive to him, so he was living outside. This pained the psychic but if she could truly get answers for those with UNabused lost pets, I hate that she stopped.

Now starting Cancer on the Brain: One Man's Journey of Baseball, Business and Beating the Odds by Jay Lefevers.

TNT, really nice that you enjoyed it so much and had a day to just read.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, June 18, 2012 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I just finished reading a truly crappy book, I kept hoping it would improve. The Scoop by Fern Michaels. Generally her books are a quick light read, I think she managed to alienate a huge chunk of her readers with this one. Anyone with a weight problem or mental illness would feel insulted by this book. Most of the main characters were truly unlikeable and mean-spirited. And the storyline wasn't really there. Apparently it is the first of a series, I won't be looking for the rest.

Now reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. So far it is a very good read.

Elizabeth116

11-26-2006

Monday, June 18, 2012 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Elizabeth116 a private message Print Post    
I just finished Dark Places, hope you like it. :-)