TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 25, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: It is Oscar time!: Archive through February 25, 2011 users admin

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 5:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I am a huge movie buff and there are some great films nominated this year. I have seen most of the nominated films. I obviously have my opinion as to who should win but would like to hear from others.

So............

What should win best film? Best foreign film? Why? What struck you about the film that would make it better than any other?

Was there a person or a film that you think was left out?

Who will win for best actor and sctress? Do they really deserve it or are they just getting a nod because the academy thinks they are due?

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 5:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Nominations.....

Academy Award Nominations for Best Picture 2011
•"Black Swan," Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver and Scott Franklin, Producers
•"The Fighter" David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Mark Wahlberg, Producers
•"Inception," Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan,
Producers
•"The Kids Are All Right," Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Celine Rattray, Producers
•"The King's Speech," Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers
•"127 Hours," Christian Colson, Danny Boyle and John Smithson, Producers
•"The Social Network," Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca and Ceán, Producers
•"Toy Story 3" Darla K. Anderson, Producer
•"True Grit" Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
•"Winter's Bone" Anne Rosellini and Alix Madigan-Yorkin, Producers

Academy Award Nominations for Best Actor in a Leading Role 2011
•Javier Bardem in "Biutiful"
•Jeff Bridges in "True Grit"
•Jesse Eisenberg in "The Social Network"
•Colin Firth in "The King's Speech"
•James Franco in "127 Hours"

Academy Award Nominations for Best Actor in a Supporting Role 2011
•Christian Bale in "The Fighter"
•John Hawkes in "Winter's Bone"
•Jeremy Renner in "The Town"
•Mark Ruffalo in "The Kids Are All Right"
•Geoffrey Rush in "The King's Speech"

Academy Award Nominations for Best Actress in a Leading Role 2011
•Annette Bening in "The Kids Are All Right"
•Nicole Kidman in "Rabbit Hole"
•Jennifer Lawrence in "Winter's Bone"
•Natalie Portman in "Black Swan"
•Michelle Williams in "Blue Valentine"

Academy Award Nominations for Best Actress in a Supporting Role 2011
•Amy Adams in "The Fighter"
•Helena Bonham Carter in "The King's Speech"
•Melissa Leo in "The Fighter"
•Hailee Steinfeld in "True Grit"
•Jacki Weaver in "Animal Kingdom"

Academy Award Nominations for Best Animated Feature Film 2011
•"How to Train Your Dragon" Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois
•"The Illusionist" Sylvain Chomet
•"Toy Story 3" Lee Unkrich

Academy Award Nominations for Best Art Direction 2011
•"Alice in Wonderland"
•"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1"
•"Inception"
•"The King's Speech"
•"True Grit"

Academy Award Nominations for Best Cinematography 2011
•"Black Swan," Matthew Libatique
•"Inception," Wally Pfister
•"The King's Speech," Danny Cohen
•"The Social Network," Jeff Cronenweth
•"True Grit," Roger Deakins

Academy Award Nominations for Best Costume Design 2011
•"Alice in Wonderland," Colleen Atwood
•"I Am Love," Antonella Cannarozzi
•"The King's Speech," Jenny Beavan
•"The Tempest," Sandy Powell
•"True Grit" Mary Zophres

Academy Award Nominations for Best Directing 2011
•"Black Swan," Darren Aronofsky
•"The Fighter," David O. Russell
•"The King's Speech," Tom Hooper
•"The Social Network," David Fincher
•"True Grit," Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

Academy Award Nominations for Best Documentary (Feature) 2011
•"Exit through the Gift Shop," Banksy and Jaimie D'Cruz
•"Gasland," Josh Fox and Trish Adlesic
•"Inside Job," Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs
•"Restrepo," Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger
•"Waste Land," Lucy Walker and Angus Aynsley

Academy Award Nominations for Best Documentary (Short Subject) 2011
•"Killing in the Name"
•"Poster Girl"
•"Strangers No More"
•"Sun Come Up"
•"The Warriors of Qiugang"

Academy Award Nominations for Best Film Editing 2011
•"Black Swan"
•"The Fighter"
•"The King's Speech"
•"127 Hours"
•"The Social Network"

Academy Award Nominations for Best Foreign Language Film 2011
•"Biutiful," Mexico
•"Dogtooth," Greece
•"In a Better World," Denmark
•"Incendies," Canada
•"Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi)," Algeria

Academy Award Nominations for Best Makeup 2011
•"Barney's Version," Adrien Morot
•"The Way Back," Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng
•"The Wolfman," Rick Baker and Dave Elsey

Academy Award Nominations for Best Music (Original Score) 2011
•"How to Train Your Dragon," John Powell
•"Inception," Hans Zimmer
•"The King's Speech," Alexandre Desplat
•"127 Hours," A.R. Rahman
•"The Social Network," Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Academy Award Nominations for Best Music (Original Song) 2011
•"Coming Home" from "Country Strong," Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey
•"I See the Light" from "Tangled," Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater
•"If I Rise" from "127 Hours," Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong
•"We Belong Together" from "Toy Story 3," Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

Academy Award Nominations for Best Short Film (Animated) 2011
•"Day & Night," Teddy Newton
•"The Gruffalo," Jakob Schuh and Max Lang
•"Let's Pollute," Geefwee Boedoe
•"The Lost Thing," Shaun Tan and Andrew Ruhemann
•"Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary)" Bastien Dubois

Academy Award Nominations for Best Short Film (Live Action) 2011
•"The Confession," Tanel Toom
•"The Crush," Michael Creagh
•"God of Love," Luke Matheny
•"Na Wewe," Ivan Goldschmidt
•"Wish 143," Ian Barnes and Samantha Waite

Academy Award Nominations for Best Sound Editing 2011
•"Inception," Richard King
•"Toy Story 3," Tom Myers and Michael Silvers
•"Tron: Legacy," Gwendolyn Yates Whittle and Addison Teague
•"True Grit," Skip Lievsay and Craig Berkey
•"Unstoppable," Mark P. Stoeckinger

Academy Award Nominations for Best Sound Mixing 2011
•"Inception," Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick
•"The King's Speech," Paul Hamblin, Martin Jensen and John Midgley
•"Salt," Jeffrey J. Haboush, Greg P. Russell, Scott Millan and William Sarokin
•"The Social Network," Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick and Mark Weingarten
•"True Grit," Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland

Academy Award Nominations for Best Visual Effects 2011
•"Alice in Wonderland," Ken Ralston, David Schaub, Carey Villegas and Sean Phillips
•"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1," Tim Burke, John Richardson, Christian Manz and Nicolas Aithadi
•"Hereafter," Michael Owens, Bryan Grill, Stephan Trojanski and Joe Farrell
•"Inception," Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb
•"Iron Man 2," Janek Sirrs, Ben Snow, Ged Wright and Daniel Sudick

Academy Award Nominations for Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay) 2011
•"127 Hours," Screenplay by Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy
•"The Social Network," Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin
•"Toy Story 3," Screenplay by Michael Arndt; Story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich
•"True Grit," Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
•"Winter's Bone," Adapted for the screen by Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini

Academy Award Nominations for Best Writing (Original Screenplay) 2011
•"Another Year," Written by Mike Leigh
•"The Fighter," Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson; Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson
•"Inception," Written by Christopher Nolan
•"The Kids Are All Right," Written by Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg
•"The King's Speech," Screenplay by David Seidler

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 6:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Yay!! I'm already planning my outfit.

Unfortunately I've only seen three or four of the nominated movies. I'm really rooting for Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush, as well as "The King's Speech" for best picture.

Natalie Portman gave a terrific performance in "The Black Swan," but she's historically been so wooden in many of her past performances that I can't really root for her for Best Actress. I just don't think she's a great actress. I think the director who pulled that performance out of her should get an award, though.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I love the Oscars!

The Kings Speech was a great movie and I hope it wins.

Natalie Portman is not my favorite and I did not like her in the film but I am sure she will win. She just does not thrill me as an actress.

I was sorry to see the Barney's Version was passed over. It was a great film and Paul Giamatti was amazing.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Best Picture: My guess is Social Network. It's the one I'd choose and it has, by far, the best screenplay of the nominated films.

Best Actress: I'd love to see Annette Benning win just because I love her, but Ms Portman deserves it.

Best Actor: Colin Firth.

Documentary: Exit Through the Gift Shop. See it if you haven't. Gasland is also great and I'm very happy to see that Waiting for Superman, with its re-creations, is not nominated. Documentaries don't do re-creations.

Best Original Screenplay: Mike Leigh deserves to win, but won't. It goes to King's Speech.

Foreign Film: I've only seen a couple of these, so I choose one I have seen, Hors la loi.

Supporting: Bale will win Actor. Actress? None are that great, really, but I doubt it will be Melissa Leo, so I'm going to go with Amy Adams. She's always strong and the Academy might feel like it's finally time to reward her for a decade of very good performances.

That's all I got.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Amy Adams is always excellent in her roles. I'd hate to see Bale get an award just because of his off-camera assery. But for all I know they're all just as bad and Bale just tends to get caught when others don't. I refuse to believe Geoffrey Rush is a jerk, though.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I think Bale's assery is more common than we might think. Remember the famous Lily Tomlin freakouts from I Huckabees? clip one clip two.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
One of my favorite nights of the year!
I’ve actually seen all 10 best pic nominees! Some years that wasn’t easy to do, even when there were only 5. I had to rent Winter’s Bone, not a film I would have otherwise watched.

Black Swan – not sure I caught all the nuances after reading other theories online, but I appreciated the wild ride. Portman is amazing. Have always loved her.
The Fighter – I’ve been around people like this and I still watch in amazement that people live this way. What do those girls do all day? Jobs anyone? LOL. I think Whalberg did great in this film, not sure why Bale is getting all the praise. Melissa Leo nailed her role.
Inception – I love all things DiCaprio and this did not disappoint. A great mind-*&$*! Loved it.
The Kids Are All Right – Finally saw this on home video and just loved the Bening character. I had a bit of difficulty with the ending, but enjoyed the film overall.
The King's Speech – I think this is the feel good film of the year. How can you not feel all warm and get a tear in your eye after this movie? And the MPAA got the R rating so wrong. This is not a deserved R. Teens would be just fine seeing this movie. It gets the R because of the Fword being said several times over in a humorous therapy session. Shame on you MPAA.
127 Hours – gritty and engaging, like a huge adrenaline rush. Even though we know the outcome, we are sucked in. Great filmmaking. And Franco holds the screen for the entire picture.
The Social Network – Just a fascinating story. I found myself rooting for an unlikable, socially awkward genius. Timberlake played a fascinating character too.
Toy Story 3 – my sentimental favorite for sure. Just so happy to see it nominated here, as well as for animation.
True Grit – I’ve been trying to watch the original and am about half way through. Glen Cambell is a terrible actor! I liked that this Coen Bros version was gritty. But not a favorite film of theirs.
Winter's Bone – more "do people really live like this" moments for me. I feel so lucky to have been born where I was. Just so bleak. Honestly I’d have given this spot to The Town, a movie I really liked. I think it’s probably here because there just doesn’t seem to be a false note in it and I’m sure it was really intense in a darkened theater.

I have no idea who I think will win. Front runners? Probably The Fighter, Social Network, and King’s Speech. I’d jump off the couch and dance if 127 Hours won.

Best Actor – I’d love, love, love to see James Franco win it, but I’m sure Colin Firth will.
Best Actress – I think Natalie Portman deserves it and will win it, but Annette Bening is overdue.
Supporting Actor – I think Bale will win and probably deserves to, but I’d vote for Geoffrey Rush
Supporting Actress – I thought Melissa Leo was a shoe in until I heard she paid for her own Oscar ads. Not sure if that will sour voters. I’d like to see Hailee win for True Grit.

Animated Film – Toy Story 3 should win by a landslide.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
OK, we're going to watch "The Social Network" tonight so I have at least one more contender under my belt.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Brenda, it is funny you mentioned the girls in The Fighter. I sat in the theater and all I could think was OMG it is my cousins. I made my brother and sister see it and they said the same thing. I cannot believe I admitted that.

I want to see Winter's Bone but it is playing at the 1.00 cinema. That is a scarey place to go. I am waiting for it to come out on dvd here.

I have not seen 127 Hours. Nobody will see it with me. They do not want to see the ending.

Goddess I hope you enjoy it!

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Tish I would also be happy with any of the documentaries and agree about Waiting for Superman.

I would like to see Wasteland win and see some of the subjects of the art come on stage.

For the foreign films I am rooting for Incendies, It is a local film so I am slightly biased. However I do think Biutiful will win. It was very good buit not fantastic. I was sorry to see Mao's Last Dancer not win. If you have not seen it, it is a must see.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Cousins for me too Pippin! That's how I knew Melissa Leo was spot on. LOL.

The "scene" in 127 hours is only a minute or two long and not exploitive. Tell them they are whimps! Actually, I found watching the whole movie somewhat exhausting, but in a good way. It *is* very intense. But it's so well done.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I have not seen any of the documenataries or foreign films. Those categories are always a complete mystery to me.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
We watched "The Social Network" and neither of us thought it was of "Best Picture of the Year" caliber. The story is compelling but much of the dialogue was lost through rapid delivery and background noise. It was kind of stressful to try and decipher what they were talking about. Plus I have never liked movies that revolve around legal proceedings. I spend most of my time shaking my head at the inaccuracies or marveling that they actually had decent legal advisors who vetted the movie. My vote is definitely for "The King's Speech" among those pictures I've seen.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
I thought all performances in The King's Speech were great. Thought Geoffrey Rush was especially good. Like Natalie Portman for best actress, though.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
GAL, I loved Social Network (but I also love Facebook). The "undisclosed" amount that Zuckerberg settled with the twins for is said to be around $60-$65 million.

I liked The King's Speech. The only problem I had with it was the first 30 minutes was pretty slow and I had a hard time staying awake in the theater. But I do think Colin Firth deserves an Oscar for his performance.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
And the twins are still trying to get more out of Zuckerberg. I saw a bit of them on the Peirs (Larry king replacement) show. I was not finding much sympathy for them in my heart. LOL.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
After all the promos, I'm looking forward to James Franco(Mr. he can do anything) and Anne Hathaway as the hosts. The promos show the chemistry of the 2 and I think Anne Hathaway has some natural comedic chops that may shine through.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
All Franco has to do is smile and I'm won over! The promos were very amusing.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Read the Wiki on the Winklevii - they are sue-happy. If it moves they sue it. They tend to get sued a lot, also. Strange way to live for a pair of bright, educated, talented men.

Cameron Winkevoss Wiki

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I thought they came across as a couple of spoiled brats on Piers, but I didn't catch the whole show.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Watching "Inception" tonight. Hope it is better than it sounds.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I liked Inception better the second time I saw it. It was less confusing.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Pippin - you haven't put up your picks! Have you seen all of the major nominees?

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, February 25, 2011 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Mom suggested I should wear my gownless evening strap for the Oscars Sunday night. LOL.