TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 14, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Oscars 2023 : Archive through March 14, 2023 users admin

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, March 12, 2023 - 9:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Mostly film. Blake did over 70 movies. He started out on TV when he was kid on The Little Rascals. He had several successful TV series such as Baretta.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, March 12, 2023 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Oh and he produced and wrote a few things too

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, March 12, 2023 - 11:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed the show this year. Thought Jimmy did a great job. I'm please with Everything winning nearly Everything. :-) I saw it back in the theater in May and I think this is the kind of film you really need to see in a theater so you are fully immersed, no distractions. I was moved by it. I laughed, I cried.

I'm glad Women Talking won screenplay -- also a really fine film. I saw all of the best pic nominees and TAR bored me to tears. honestly, I'm glad it didn't win a thing. All Quiet was brutal to watch, but so well done. And the score was so intense -- it deserved all its wins.

I guess I need to see The Whale now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 12:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read that Paul Sorvno and Anne Heche were also left out.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 1:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Anne Heche and Paul Sorvino were memorialized on the Oscars Memorandum website...as were others.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed the show. I’m absolutely astonished that Rihanna didn’t win. Unbelievable.

I’m not sure what to think of Everything Everywhere All at Once. I’ve watched about an hour of it and let’s just say that it is well named. I’m on the fence between whether it’s idiotic or brilliant but I’ll reserve judgment until I finish it. Regardless of how I feel about the movie, I loved all the people associated with it. A very feel good Oscars.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Apparently the internet is all abuzz over Angela Bassett not standing up or clapping for Jamie Lee Curtis (best supporting actress)... I get it we still suffer from #Oscarssowhite.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I read that too. Both had won awards leading up to the Oscars, so to me, it was a 50/50 chance of either of them winning. Seems to me, considering the various winners, that this year was not so white.

I was sure Rihanna would be a lock too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I saw clips of Angela Bassett not standing up on I think my browser page.

I started Everything Everywhere twice and just didn't finish.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Since, I forgot about lil Rascals! and I had no idea he did so many films. I just remember him from Barretta.

They also left out Leslie Jordon!

Kar, I dont think she didnt stand because she felt slighted because she is black. I think she really thought this was her year and was salty. She was fantastic in that movie and she wont have another shot with that movie because of the storyline.

I am surprised she never won for Whats Love got to do with it

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
When I went to look at the online Memorandum I noticed many names I recognized that were not on the televised list. Some of the ones that people noticed were Tom Sizemore, Leslie Jordan, Charlbi Dean, Gilbert Gottfried, Estelle Harris, John Aniston, and Lisa Marie Presley. But I did notice some others too. I was especially surprised about Leslie Jordan. He was still actively working at the time of his death after a long career.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But most of those were more recent than Anne Heche.

Not that, as one article pointed out, there isn't the technology available to edit people in until the last minute, but she seem to stick to an old tradition.

And such a big deal all week about a non red carpet.

I need to look up what Jimmy said to Malala, because that apparently raised some eyebrows.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 4:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Sea, a couple on that list actually passed away before Anne Heche. In any case, they all passed away in 2022 except for Presley (1/12/23) and Sizemore (3/3/23). But Raquel Welsh passed on February 12...and they were able to add her to televised Memorandum. That shows that they indeed CAN if they want to. My main disappointment is not including everyone on the Oscars website list, not so much the televised one.

I liked Jamie Curtis' comment, that "The Oscar's carpet now matched her drapes" lol

It wasn't what Jimmy said...so much as he picked the wrong person to do his jokes on. When he initially asked Malala “Your work in human rights and education for women and children is an inspiration. As the youngest Nobel Prize winner in history, I was wondering, do you think Harry Styles spit on Chris Pine?”

She was polite but fended off the stupid question with "I only talk about peace" But a lot people were annoyed with the interaction.

Then he poked fun at her name calling her “Malalaland”. And part of Kimmels bit included Cocaine Bear swatting at Malala before Kimmel called it off. She looked sort of uncomfortable with that....or unprepared for that level of frivolity?

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I'm sorry, but I think people are little too sensitive these days. Nothing was malicious or hateful, it was all in fun.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
India also got upset at Kimmels "cultural flub" referring to RRR as a Bollywood film.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
This is why we should never downplay a person’s reaction to something. https://everydayfeminism.com/2015/12/tone-policing-and-privilege/

We all react in different ways based on our individual backgrounds and I will never call anyone too sensitive even if they react to something I might not take as harmful. It’s how something is received, not the intent that ultimately matters at the end of the day.

I appreciate how Malala handled the night, I for one would never risk jokes or Cocaine Bear etc with a Pakistani female given the degrading treatment as women in that region.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Why was Malala there? Was she involved with a movie production?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I often don't find "comedy" to be fun. (after last year's debacle, several comedians opined that comedy should be cutting edge, push boundaries and if someone feels uncomfortable, too bad, so sad, so maybe I just don't enjoy seeing people made uncomfortable?)

And before I am told not to watch.. I didn't. But it is hard to avoid news about it.

I only saw 3 nominated movies... The Banshees.. which was atmospheric and well done, but frustrating and depressing even while at times amusing, Everything Everywhere, which I tried twice and never finished, and the documentary that Malala was involved in producing, Stranger at the Gate, which is free on YouTube and is a documentary and was worth viewing.

But I am not so interested in who wore what, speeches (though some are touching) and the host so often makes it a show, starring the host.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I loved the speeches this year and particularly the ones form everyone involved in Everything Everywhere All at Once. Very sincere, heartfelt and moving.

Thanks for the comment about why Malala was there. I guess part of being involved in “entertainment” is tolerating silliness, so it just comes with the territory.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Malala was part of a movie short production. I only know this because one of the guys who worked on it was on CBS Sunday Morning. Through the pandemic, he talked with his mother in Florida, who was just adorable. Last Sunday, he talked with her again regarding his Oscar nomination.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/joshs-mom-and-the-oscars/

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, March 13, 2023 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Many are saying what people like in comedy is changing. The "late night" humor...the Saturday Night Live style of making fun of people...is not as popular now.

I never liked The Three Stooges hitting each other...which I didn't find funny. Or Roasts which degrade or make fun of someone. Hurting people's feelings or hurting them physically, I never found entertaining.

Why do they have to have hosts anyway? Presenters are enough. Even Kimmels remarks about Babylon being a box-office loss. They did get 3 nominations. It was disrespectful and in poor taste. And probably super embarrassing to any of the people in the audience representing that film.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Tuesday, March 14, 2023 - 3:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Here is the documentary Malala was an executive producer on "Stranger at the Gate"

https://youtu.be/GPbbl1S6foM

it really is a must watch 30 minutes - and truly represents why Malala says just be kind...

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Tuesday, March 14, 2023 - 7:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I respectfully disagree Legal. While people shouldn't go out of their way, or intentionally say things that they know will hurt the other person, if something is said in fun, and the other person takes it too seriously, then that's on them.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Tuesday, March 14, 2023 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Scooter, you can disagree all you want.. But you are being totally disrespectful and ignorant to not respect how something is received by a person, every time. I am sure the millions of racist, homophobic, sexist, ethnic, ableist, body shaming jokes were all said in fun by the people saying them - none of which would be ok or acceptable and in some cases would go as far as being illegal.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 14, 2023 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Legal, I agree. I hope we are evolving to move beyond such things. I remember as a kid laughing at the "dead baby" jokes... I wouldn't find them funny now. And I still get annoyed at blonde jokes (because I am).

I know it can be difficult to reexamine our views on such things, but it is important. We could all use a lot more empathy.