TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 17, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: HBO: Archive through January 17, 2023 users admin

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, January 04, 2023 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I thought it was such a great premise and could have been awesome and it fizzled. I was so irritated. They started character development and then it was for no reason, no impact on the story and the ending was so stupid!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, January 04, 2023 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I thought it might have been better as a series rather than a movie for that reason. Some of the characters get lost.

I usually read all the reviews before I watch something. Probably because it was about "food", I just went with it...imagine my surprise lol

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, January 04, 2023 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I was tempted to see The Menu in the theater but I don't like horror. Glad to hear its on HBO -- I can check it out and turn it off if I don't like it. I'm lowering my expectations.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, January 04, 2023 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
it's not really gory. I agree it would have been a good series and then they could have elaborated and really developed the middle and ending

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, January 04, 2023 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Maybe "horror" is too strong of an adjective? Maybe macabre would be more appropriate.

Most of it is more...deliberate psychological manipulation. I personally, didn't find the more "aggressive" scenes that disturbing. When they are sort of abstract it doesn't bother me so much.

The disappointment was, as Pamy said, it could have been so much more. But it was a decent movie that at the end we just said, well...that was weird.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, January 04, 2023 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I liked The Menu. As I said in the movie thread, it both is and isn't what you think it will be.
It is offbeat, odd and some funny bits. Absurd, comedy satire.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, January 09, 2023 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I watched The Menu yesterday and what a weird, crazy movie!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, January 09, 2023 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed The Menu also. If you like unpredictable plots, this one certainly fits the bill.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, January 09, 2023 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I DO like the wacky and weird. Especially when the actors are good. I did enjoy the fact it was about a chef... Because of my background. Some chefs I know are just short of homicidal lol The "clap" made me burst out laughing. The descriptions of the food so elaborate it was lost on non foodie guests. But the people that were special guests were there to be able to brag they were there...not to experience the food. The food critic...spot on.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, January 09, 2023 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I want to watch The Menu, but not if it involves cannibalism (which is what the previews make it seem)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, January 09, 2023 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It was a bit too much for me, gave me bad dreams.

Lexie, no humans are eaten! They show a menu with each dish and I kept thinking one of them was going to say "Sous Chef Smith" or something, but they never did.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, January 09, 2023 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
it's twisted, but I don't recall that being on the menu.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, January 09, 2023 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Thanks ya'll... maybe I will watch it.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, January 09, 2023 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I thought it was going to go that way...but it doesn't

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 10, 2023 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I recorded The Chef and started watching and wasn't paying adequate attention, I think, but wasn't really drawn in to any character. Then I might have either nodded off or wandered off, not sure but then saw a scene where someone passed a note saying HELP US and realized that I had either missed some key elements or they had.. anyway at that point I was tired and I just deleted the whole thing.

I did record The Banshees of Inisherin, as I had seen promos or reviews.. and so I did watch the whole of that and appreciated the acting and the gloomy Irish island setting but was just sort of puzzled as to why.. and all it said to me was that living in such a place with those people was not as appealing as I might have once thought.. the isolation seemed to not create as much mutual support but did create a mutual nosiness and gossip network.