TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 24, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: HBO: Archive through November 24, 2022 users admin

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I heard it is going which is a bummer because I get it free with my AT&T account

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, August 22, 2022 - 2:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
That sucks. I have full-blown cable which is why the only streaming service I pay for is Paramount+. I have Amazon Prime but that's technically "free" from my Amazon account. I refuse to pay for a second streaming service. I don't watch enough HBOMax to justify paying for it when it merges with Discovery+. Amazon Prime and Paramount+ will do me just fine.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, August 22, 2022 - 3:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I was enjoying HBO Max through my AT&T account too.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, August 23, 2022 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I'm watching what is probably an older show On HBO, Spymasters, about the CIA. Fascinating stuff

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, August 29, 2022 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I finally got around to watching My Brilliant Friend. It is like a book I can't put down. I'm on the second season of 3. There is supposed to be a 4th coming since there are 4 novels by the author.

"An epic about female friendship and rivalry against a backdrop of social change, political turbulence and mob-fueled instability, “My Brilliant Friend" is a series of rare sweep and extraordinary accomplishment"

There are so many layers. Some subtle and only hinted at. It is in Italian with subtitles. This limited series is well worth your time.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, September 24, 2022 - 4:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
So, I was watching the Emmys and was thinking there are a couple of shows that won multiple Emmys that I haven't watched. I decided to start watching The White Lotus. There were a few actors from other things that I knew I liked.

I'm only on the second episode....but I have to say, I really don't know how this got 5 Emmys. Maybe the second season is better.

I love dark humour. But this is just....I don't know. Even my favorite actors are insufferable. The two teenage girls and brother are so antipatico. Everybody seems to be.,.overacting almost. I don't feel invested in any of the characters.

I did find some reviews that thought the same as I did. But I'm still bewildered how it is so highly thought of and won awards....

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, September 24, 2022 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, it's just an odd little show. I'm not sure how it won so much. I mean I enjoyed it, but I wasn't blown away.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, September 24, 2022 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Well I don't feel so crazy now lol

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, September 26, 2022 - 4:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Same! I found it interesting to watch but not Emmy worthy.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 26, 2022 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Agree with you all on The White Lotus. And as much as I love Jennifer Coolidge, I felt she just once again played herself. I stuck with the series last year because of the cast and did enjoy it more at the end but not enough to recommend it to anyone.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, September 26, 2022 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I also watched a couple of episodes of The White Lotus, but found it silly (sometimes downright juvenile) and irritating. I quit watching after a couple of episodes. I was shocked when it won so many Emmys. Sometimes you have to chalk that up to multiple people getting nominated from the same show, splitting the vote. I just didn't get it at all.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, September 26, 2022 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I agree the The White Lotus was overrated. Very overrated, I only watched 2 or 3 episodes and could not endure another episode, it was tacky, trite and poorly written and acted. Bizarrely, it won Emmys for acting and writing.

Sadly, the Emmys have had quite a few missteps over the last few years. If Emmy isn't careful she will be as much of a joke award as the Golden Globes have devolved into over time, I won't watch the Globes anymore.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, September 26, 2022 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think shows that are non traditional and a bit quirky are rewarded for being innovative. I do appreciate when people try to do something different. But not sure it deserved so many awards. Sometimes the nomination should be enough. LOL.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, September 27, 2022 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
100% agree with you, Sugar. "Overrated, tacky, trite and poorly written and acted." I was shocked and grossed out when they showed that guy's junk in the first episode. Nobody wants to see that! (I did hear it was a prosthetic and not real, but still. Yuck!)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, October 31, 2022 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
HBOmax and Discovery+

La Pitchoune: Cooking in France

"Four friends teach recipe-free cooking to students in Julia Child's former vacation home in France, the place where she cooked and wrote some of her most famous recipes"

This is the first season, second episode. La Peetch is not your regular cooking school. This is the cooking I was brought up on. No recipes, no rules. You walk in the kitchen and throw together whatever you have handy. You go to the market and formulate the dish as you see the offerings of the day.

I never met a recipe I didn't completely alter. I don't even measure…I taste. I only use them as ideas for creating something of my own. My husband laughs. Why do I buy cookbooks if I never use the recipes? I told him I like the photos….they inspire me.

La Peetch's cooking classes are a 6 day, 5 night stay. They do so much more than cooking. I would love to go….but it's 8k! 2k extra if you want your own room. So 20k for hubby and me….and he can't even boil water. I'm sure he would be the comic relief though. Maybe we could get a discount for providing entertainment? But then you must pay for travel, house sitting/pet sitting….and the extra suitcase filled with things I bought in France. So…not happening in this lifetime lol….guess I'll just watch the series from the comfort of my home and dream….

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Sunday, November 20, 2022 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Is anyone watching S2 of The White Lotus? I'm recording it and was going to binge but I keep reading mixed reviews on other sites and wonder if I should just delete the season pass and episodes.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, November 20, 2022 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I couldn't get thu the 1st season, try as I might. Was amazed it was renewed for 3rd season. It won an Emmy and got renewed for 3rd season...so it must have a following. I most certainly am in the minority lol

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, November 21, 2022 - 3:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
The first season was very entertaining. I'm recording S2 to binge-watch but I keep reading mixed reviews so I don't know if it is DVR-worthy.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, November 22, 2022 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I have not tried season 2 yet. I will eventually.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, November 22, 2022 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Sincebb1, I'm with you re: "The White Lotus." I think it was just too much comedy for me. I don't like sitcoms and such, cause I despise "comedy" when you can see what's coming a mile away. I thought TWL was crude. When they showed the guys junk (the one who thought he had cancer), I was immediately turned off. Gross! Did not find that funny at all. I didn't make it very far into the season either.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, November 22, 2022 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"When they showed the guys junk (the one who thought he had cancer), I was immediately turned off. Gross! Did not find that funny at all."

I did...because that prosthetic looked so obviously fake to me (I did LOL)...and I read in a Justin Bateman interview admitted that it was. No real genitals were harmed (or even made an appearance) in The White Lotus.

:-)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, November 23, 2022 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I usually like dark comedies. Language and nudity or "prosthetics" don't deter my enjoyment of the show. Heck, I loved Minx! But Lotus just wasn't that funny or entertaining to me, personally

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, November 24, 2022 - 3:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
So no one has really given me their opinion on S2 of The White Lotus... LOL

Chieko

11-20-2003

Thursday, November 24, 2022 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chieko a private message Print Post    
Sorry, Lexie_girl. I read your question, formed my opinion in my mind and then didn't put it down I guess. I am watching. It is unique just like the first season. Quirky characters, quirky situations, and as BJM mentioned, crude. It keeps me guessing and I guess I'm a visual person because I love the scenery. Beautiful settings on the seaside and the White Lotus itself is glorious. I'm wondering where it was filmed. I can't imagine what a room like that would cost for even one night. All in all, I'm enjoying it. It doesn't stay in my playlist. I watch it right away.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, November 24, 2022 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Thanks Chieko. The online reviews are very mixed