TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 03, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Apple TV+ streaming: Archive through October 03, 2022 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, June 06, 2022 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Just finished Shining Girls

It's an excellent show starring Elizabeth Moss (star of "The Handmaid's Tale") and Jamie Bell (star of "Billy Elliot" (2000). I've been a fan of Moss since Mad Men and fan of Bell since 2000. They each just get better with time..

The title, "Shining Girls" sounds a bit light hearted to me, especially for such a dark serial killer versus detective story with major inexplicable things going on. They do have one scene where we learn the meaning of this title.

I was glued to my chair for all 8 eps.....excellent writing and excellent casting and lots of suspense all wrapped up in a world where reality is not as stable as we assume it is.

Season 1 has 8 episodes. S01 does a decent wrap up of the story...one that could easily lead into a second season if they choose to do that, but it does end when the book does...) It was excellent as a mini-series and it would also be an excellent start to an ongoing series.

Based on a novel by Lauren Beukes.

Official trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiNCIA4kszw

Exclusively on Apple TV+ (I think you can get a free month to try it out.)

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, June 06, 2022 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That sounds very good. I was thinking of watching this and I certainty will now.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, June 06, 2022 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Good decision, Jimmer!

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, June 08, 2022 - 11:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Want to know how to make a confusing tv show like Shining Girls even more confusing? Accidentally watch episode 3 before episode 2, but don't realize it until the end of ep 2. I barely understand what's going on.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, June 09, 2022 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Naja, it all comes together nicely. I had the same issue...it was making little sense and I had several theories about it, but it ultimately turned out to be a great story and it made sense....but it did leave me with a question, but not a cliffhanger question.

I did the same thing with that other show I liked so much - "Night Sky", starring Sissy Spacek and JK Simmons. An older retired couple have something special on their property....it allows them a great way to watch the stars. You learn what it is in ep 1. I accidentally watched ep 2 first wondering why they never gave the viewer any hint what was going on.

When I discovered my error, it was good news/bad news. Bad because I saw stuff that wasn't meant to be seen until after the premiere episode. Good because I realized I still had 7 more episodes to watch, not just 6 :-) Also, stuff I didn't understand in ep 2wwas suddenly made more clear after seeing ep 1. Doh! :-)

"Night Sky" is on AMZ Prime.....it's like a typical drama but there's a sci-fi element that these people are living with.

Hmmmmmm....I just realized that Night Sky description sounds a lot like the description of "Outer Range" starring Josh Brolin (normal drama with a weird sci-fi element). That's another good one....also on AMZ Prime.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 09, 2022 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I LOVED Night Sky! I want to know what happened to Byron.

I didn't like Outer Range as much, but I still liked it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, August 05, 2022 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Kicking this up because others don't know Apple TV has it's own thread.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, August 05, 2022 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Trying is a sweet little show. I almost stopped after the first tacky scene but am glad I have kept with it. I am wondering if season 3 has a new show runner as it seems a bit off/different. Not bad, just boot quite the same.

Maris

03-27-2002

Saturday, August 06, 2022 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Thanks Naja. Anyone watching Loot? I am really enjoying this show.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, August 07, 2022 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
If you belong to Costco, they have a sale going with Apple TV for $44.99 for an entire year (that's $3.75 a month!). We bought it, but I'm having issues signing into it. I think the web site is overwhelmed cause it just keeps spinning and spinning!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I watched Surface and it kept me guessing but I have to say the ending was a letdown.

I watched the first episode of Bad Sisters which seems like it is going to be a fun one.

Five Days at Memorial is hard to watch but so good.

I have to say that Apple has not let me down with it's selection of shows.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I watched the first 2 episodes of Bad Sisters last night and look forward to the rest of the series.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I think the season 3 finale of Trying airs tomorrow. I wish the Brits would do more than 6 or so episodes per series/season. I want more to watch.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, September 17, 2022 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
We just finished The Essex Serpent and I thought it was very good.

It's about a new widow (Claire Danes) who travels to Essex with her son and housekeeper to seek out a legendary serpent.

https://tv.apple.com/us/show/the-essex-serpent/umc.cmc.1vyhx06lta7a21tshl8qitota

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, September 17, 2022 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
^^I forgot to say it takes place in 1890.^^

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Saturday, September 17, 2022 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I have such mixed feelings on Five Days at Memorial. So many more questions…but stellar cast.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, September 22, 2022 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I was not going to watch Five Days At Memorial due to the sadness of it all but did and it was excellent.

I also wasn't going to watch Severance but after 2 episodes, I was hooked. Great acting and such a different type of story! Bravo to Ben Stiller for his directing some of the episodes. I went from not knowing if I would even finish the series after the first episode to finishing the finale and wanting the next season to be here NOW, lol. Stick with it because each episode draws you in even more.

Maris

03-27-2002

Friday, September 23, 2022 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Sydney premieres tonight. I am watching. I absolutely adored Sydney Poitier and he was one of my first Hollywood Crushes in To Sir with Love.

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, September 25, 2022 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
If you have apple TV watch the documentary on Sidney Poitier, it was incredible. I cant say enough about it.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, September 26, 2022 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have theory regarding Bad Sisters and look forward to seeing if I'm correct. Personally, I think it is the only way for it to resolve, ony a few episodes left.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, September 26, 2022 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have never wanted to see a character bite the dust as much as JP. He is so awful! I have a theory too, Sugar. Wonder if it's the same.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, September 27, 2022 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
JP is vile and evil. Interesting that the same 4 letters make those 2 words.

Mamie316, I do wonder if we are thinking the same thing?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, October 01, 2022 - 8:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
If we didn't think JP was bad enough before this last episode....

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, October 02, 2022 - 11:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
The Garvey sisters super suck at murder. At least murdering their intended victim.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, October 03, 2022 - 8:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
And Sugar, Becca didn't even open the door to see if he was dead or not! What if it was his mom stumbling downstairs?