TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 24, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Saturday Night Live (SNL): Archive through September 24, 2022 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, November 08, 2020 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I also like the 'news' they do. Don't remember last night's skits, so it was either forgettable or I was asleep.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 08, 2020 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The news section is my favorite part... esp because they are continually laughing as they do it.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, November 08, 2020 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Mame, we must have watched a different Dave. I don't like him using the N word but I thought his monologue was excellent.

The sketch he did about Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben was classic. Him breaking character and making Townsend laugh so hard he spit out his fangs was gold!

The slow speed footage of Trump leaving (with OJ footage) was perfect

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, November 08, 2020 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
The news recap is always the best part of the show for me. Colin Jost always tries to be serious, but Michael Che cracks him up. And well, throw Kate McKinnon in as Rudy G barely holding it together.... well, I always laugh at them or is that with them.

I don’t know much about Dave Chappell’s, but read that he tries to educate people, then throws in a laugh at the end. Considering they think enough of him to give him 16 minutes at the beginning for the monologue, I think some points hit, some missed and others probably made people uncomfortable.

I like Anything that Keenan Thompson does... his Uncle Ben and the Mario sketch’s were hilarious.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, November 08, 2020 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
HI Kar. Pamy & Kooklie I must admit the Aunt Jemima Uncle Ben skit was very funny.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, November 08, 2020 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I watched SNL last night. I found Dave Chappell's opening monologue entertaining and educational. I really don't know much about Dave other than he's a comedian who is on the edgy side. I asked my son about Dave and he gave me a little background. Dave's reference to Netflix and HBO Max streaming his shows was explained to me by my son. So now I want to google Dave Chappell and learn more about him.

And I agree with those of you who mentioned the skit with Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben and Count Chocula. It was classic comedy.

I was wondering about the songs that the Foo Fighters performed last night. I'll admit, I'm not into the Foo Fighters but last night, I watched them and listened to the words of the songs they performed, wondering if the selected songs represented their feelings about our current events in the US.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, November 09, 2020 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
For quite a few years now, I have only tuned in to enjoy the cold openings and the news section. This year, I'm not even enjoying the cold opens that much.

I fell asleep this week so I can't comment on the show overall. It did feel like Chappelle was not in the best of spirits. And yes, while we as a country had heard a wonderful speech earlier, it's still a heartbreak to think that so many of our fellow Americans are okay with the behavior of one who lies daily and encourages the worst in people especially when it comes to race issues. In that sense, I could understand Chappelle not being in a celebratory mood. Now I will have to go back and watch the rest.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, November 09, 2020 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Egbok, the first song was new from their forthcoming album. The second song, Times Like These, came out in 2003. It really was a fitting anthem for the day.

In case anyone is interested, Dave Grohl has been having a fun battle with the most amazing 10 year old drummer from Ipswich, England. Here is an article the NYT just did...

Dave Grohl, 10-Year-Old Nandi Bushell and One Very Epic Drum Battle

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/arts/music/dave-grohl-nandi-bushell-drums.html

Here is Nandi's Twitter...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nandi_Bushell

I just love her. I love seeing little girls into to rock and roll. She is so talented and has the greatest energy and smile. I was following her prior to the Dave challenge, so I was able to watch all of this unfold from the start. One of my bright spots in a bleak 2020.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, June 19, 2021 - 5:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This may be common knowledge, but I just found out and my mind was blown.

Remember Minnie Riperton? She was beautiful singer who passed away much too soon from cancer in 1979 at the age of 31. I think most of us know her 1974 song "Loving You".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0pwJ5PMDg

Anyway, at then end of the song she starts singing "Maya, Maya..." Which is her daughters name. Maya Rudolph is her daughter! I had no idea!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, June 19, 2021 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Naja....interesting fact, did not know! Thanks for sharing!

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, June 21, 2021 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I actually knew that fact....kinda a first for me, lol.

I was a fan of Minnie Riperton's range (octaves?) to such high notes. Anyway, along the way of my fandom of Minnie, I learned that Maya Rudolph was her daughter.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, June 21, 2021 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I am a huge Teena Marie fan and she was Mya's Godmom :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, October 02, 2021 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
SNL is back tonight! One of my absolute favorite people is hosting. Owen Wilson. Musical guest Kacey Musgraves. Three new members are joining the cast: Aristotle Athari, James Austin Johnson, and Sarah Sherman. That Aristotle is hottie.

https://people.com/tv/meet-the-new-members-joining-the-saturday-night-live-season-47-cast/

I am so sad that Beck Bennet let the show :-(. He was so good. Didn't really get to know the girl that left very well, Lauren Holt. She was the other big brunette that just joined last year.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, October 03, 2021 - 7:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
It was a great show last night. Beck Bennet certainly is a loss. I don't know Lauren Holt that well either.

We did not see Kate McKinnon. Missed her. Maybe she was just having a night off. Hope to see her next week.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 21, 2021 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
My favorite skit yesterday was the Thanksgiving baking show. To a much lesser degree this really happens on those "Greatest" baking shows. haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMdo2thujgU

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, November 21, 2021 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, Naja, that was hysterical, and so true. I missed that one. I did catch a couple of skits that were pretty funny.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
Alex Moffat, Melissa Villaseñor and Aristotle Athari will not return for season 48 of "SNL", according to Deadline. Their departures follow those of marquee cast members Pete Davidson, Kate McKinnon, Aidy Bryant and Kyle Mooney.

Moffat and Villaseño were promoted to the main cast in 2018 after joining in 2016. Athari only linked up with "SNL" last season.

"SNL" creator Lorne Michaels previously described 2022 as a "year of change" for the long-running sketch-comedy series. Head of talent Lindsay Shookus also recently exited the show after two decades with the program.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/tv/other/saturday-night-live-loses-3-more-cast-members/ar-AA11mJvY?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=223ef45aa9024ec69b231956e38f8321

Yikes.. so much talent leaving..

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
At least a few of my favs are staying. New cast are always so hard to get used to.

I took last year's cast photo and put a star above the ones that are staying.

The photo is from here:
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/pete-davidson-leave-saturday-night-live-1235273489/

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, September 02, 2022 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Aside from watching the occasional opening, I stopped SNL years and years ago.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, September 02, 2022 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed Melissa Villasenor And Alex Moffat and will miss them.

Smokey

07-07-2003

Friday, September 23, 2022 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
Kappy, me too. I love both of them. And I really enjoyed Pete Davidson until his love life infiltrated his life. Kate McKennon! She is so talented. Oh well, I am hoping it can keep hopping along. I've watched since it started. I guess I'm die-hard.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, September 23, 2022 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'm a diehard as well, Smokey.

I just checked and season 48 starts October 1.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, September 23, 2022 - 11:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Another diehard here.

ETA Looking at the cast pic makes me sad. So many losses. I loved Kyle Mooney. Reminds me of current BB’s Turner.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, September 24, 2022 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Chris Redd has now announced his exit as well.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, September 24, 2022 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I have watched since day one, people come and go, some go on to great futures, some fail and others die tragically. It is a rollercoaster. I have it turned on for sound, if something grabs my attention - good, otherwise it is just sound.