TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Time Traveler's Wife

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Time Traveler's Wife users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 27, 2022Sanfranjoshfan25 06-27-22  7:07 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, June 27, 2022 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Ya know, there's something that Henry said and I can't wait to (hopefully) see it play out.

I don't know what episode it was but I think he was talking to 12-14 year old Clare in their special place past the meadow. She asked if he could go into the future for something or other. His reply was (paraphrased): No, I can't do that. When I time travel I stay within the span of my own lifetime almost every time.

Wait...what? "Almost"?

I remember this because it introduced the possibility of Henry traveling to a time before he was born or a time after he dies. I think they made it a point for him to say "almost" because at some point in time he must have visited a time that was outside the scope of his lifetime at least once. I hope the show returns because I want to know what he was referring to!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, June 27, 2022 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Just after that in the show, they showed him visiting his parents after they'd met, but before they were pregnant (i.e. outside his lifetime, unless you count his lifetime as an unfertilised egg). That same episode (I think) he went to when his mother was pregnant with him. But I think it will be used later too, so he can visit Clare after he dies (which seems like it will be soon, as the very sick looking Henry was only 43).

I don't think there is any free will for Henry in his own time. I would say that only the oldest Henry has free will, but he's one and the same Henry as the original Henry so that doesn't make sense. I think it has to be that everything is already happened (i.e. no free will) and will happen again, and again and again, as each version of the same Henry experiences it.

It's like everything happened before it even happened. Like at its conception the universe had already experienced all of its existence. Actually that's so mind boggling I can actually accept it as a theory as it's so inexplicable there's no need to try to understand it, so I can just let it go.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2022 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"It's like everything happened before it even happened."

That's how I see it, too. I also like it because it's different than most other time travel stories. Also, I like time travel in TTTW here, but I don't want to see it become the main "rule" for most other time travel shows. I love seeing the changes that happen when someone changes something in the past! In this show, they do the same thing, but they just don't realize it already happened whether TT was involved or not.

Of course, if that's true, Henry can't ever visit Clare and get her pregnant at an earlier time because every time he tried to do that it would be a memory of older Henry.

I think the only way around that would be if young Henry knew of a time when older Henry hit his head and temporarily lost his memory or ended up in a coma, or got stupified drunk....in those cases, a younger Henry could show up, knock up Clare, and be gone before older Henry ever woke up. Well, I guess if Henry is dead that could happen.

Of course, I don't think he controls his traveling that precisely, or maybe not at all.

Duh. I suddenly realized that older Henry would even know they planned to do it. I forgot that older Henry has ALL the memories of ALL of the younger ones because I'm talking about a single individual, not different people.

"Just after that in the show, they showed him visiting his parents after they'd met"

I totally forgot that! Yes he went back to just before his life span. Of course, that makes me realize that it was possible, so now I'd like to see him meet a great grandfather or something.

Just typing that last sentence made me wonder if he was able to go back to his mother before he was conceived is because of DNA. Maybe he can only go back to a time when that particular DNA sequence that he inherited exists. His mom could've been carrying that DNA sequence....and who knows, maybe his father was, too. Heck maybe the whole branch of his family tree!

If my theory is true, Henry could possibly have the ability to travel back many generations. It also means that it could be quite possible that there are a lot of others that also have the gene.

I can imagine story lines like, for EXAMPLE: Henry goes back to tell his mom about the tape, but someone else goes back to destroy the tape. That would make for a fun plot twist....but this is ultimately a love story, not sci-fi.

I think it's probably best to follow the Outlander model. Time travel happens and a love story starts. TT is the MacGuffin that got them together, but aside from having a gemstone and going to rocks, it isn't really important in every single episode like TT is on TTTW.

LOL I gotta laugh. The possibilities in a TV show with TT means there are a million things that could could turn a simple love story into a simple love story that takes place over a span of hundreds or thousands of years. It's just the love story part that's simple, but the two individuals finding one another and dealing with the complications of unpredictable TT is the hook that can make it a great adventure that takes place over eons.

Gee, I'm exhausted after all this thinking. Brain needs break and second cup of coffee. :-)

Btw, thanks for the convo about this show. The best part about a compelling show is being able to share it. Streaming is great and gives more people more access to shows, but it also isolates people. Even if you watch a show that your friends also watch, there is no longer what used to called "watercooler moments". I'd bet a lot of millennials don't know what that means. :-) My best friend watches shows that I like. He lives an hour away so watching a whole series "together" (as in "simultaneously") isn't really practical. I'll start a show like TT and call him and try to persuade him to watch it. 99 times out of hundred, I watch it and if he watches it at all, it's a month or even year later. when I've forgotten most of the details. Technology has made life weird. LOL yes that sounds like something an old man would say but my "defense" is that I'll be 72 this year!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2022 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I can't get something straight about the vasectomy. If Henry-42 (38? I mean the one who had the vasectomy) decided he needed a vasectomy, he must have wanted to make sure he (in his native time) couldn't get Clare pregnant. Does that mean he hasn't been visited by older Henrys who reassured him that she hadn't been pregnant by their native time? E.g. if that was Henry-38, and he'd seen Henry-42 and 42 had never spoken about a baby, then wouldn't Henry-38 know he's not going to get Clare pregnant? Or hadn't he jumped into Henry-42's time in the last 30 years and not seen baby stuff?

Similarly (but opposite), Henry-38 must know Henry-20 sleeps with his Clare - if he does - and could get her pregnant. And if Henry-20 (or any other Henry) tried to get Clare pregnant in Henry-38's native time, wouldn't they check if it worked when they next visited her in a later time period (which as we know, has already happened as everything happens before it happens)?

So really the vasectomy is either unnecesssary (as they know she doesn't get pregnant in any timeline) or irrelevant (as an earlier un-vasectomied Henry could impregnate her at any time).

I think the upcoming death of Henry (not a spoiler - but they've shown him looking very ill and without his feet) might act as some sort of barrier or singularity (???) to information for the Henrys, because the older Henry gets, the less time, and therefore fewer jumps, older Henrys can make. And also the less space time for younger Henrys to jump into. So the Henry who didn't want to get Clare pregnant didn't have enough information from his future self to trust that he wouldn't get her pregnant.

And yes, that's exactly the problem with streaming! You have to be very lucky to find someone who just saw the episode you want to talk about! Thanks to you too!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 28, 2022 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Once again, thanks to the lively discussions at TVCH, I binged a show. This one. Even though I saw the original film and didn't care for it much, & not a Rachel McAdams fan. Anyhow I streamed this series this weekend. It was riveting! Parts were confusing, but I just bobbed along like a canoe on the rapids, letting the story take me for an engrossing ride.

The only major thing I completely missed, perhaps because I am not particularly observant... What's this about him losing his feet??? When did they show it or mention it??? I know it happened from googling it on the weekend, but thought that while it was in the book, I haven't read, they omitted it (so far) from the show. Oh, wait a minute, just remembered I couldn't find episode 1 on Demand, just 2-6. So is it explained there, and I missed it?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2022 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
One of the early episodes, probably ep1 or ep2, had one of the time travelling Henrys hear the sound of a Henry landing, but when he got to the site there were just a pair of feet and lower legs there. Like they'd been chopped off mid-calf. So at some point I guess they get chopped off, and then travel in time by themselves??? Or maybe there was an accident mid-jump.

Then in one of the last episodes we saw a sick looking Henry visit young Clare in the meadow, and tell her he didn't need the shoes now, so presumably the footless Henry still time-travels, at least until he arrives in a situation he can't get out of without feet .

We've also seen that Henry-43 had a wheelchair.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2022 - 10:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It was episode 1
https://www.thereviewgeek.com/thetimetravelerswife-s1e1review/

That's also when we saw him return and see an image of his bathroom with blood all over the floor. That's never explained in detail but I think at one point they mentioned him being shot.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 12:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks so much Kitt. The video is labelled PRIVATE. But the detailed review below it covers the ep and explains what I missed.

I saw the wheelchair but didn't realize it was because he had no feet. Figured it was because he was frail and sick, coughing etc.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I would guess that older Henry knows he doesn't get Claire pregnant as younger Henry so he doesn't do anything about it.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
But he still gets the vasectomy, which suggests he doesn't know whether there is or isn't a child in the future, which is something he should know, as he's the time traveller.

If he knows there is a child in the future, even if he had the vasectomy he'd know it wouldn't work, as the future child exists. If he knows there isn't a child in the future, there's no need for him to have the vasectomy, as he wouldn't get pregnant either way.

Unless he doesn't have enough information about the future for some reason.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Kitt, I would guess that older Henry knows he doesn't get Claire pregnant as younger Henry so he doesn't do anything about it."

That's something I have to keep in mind. The oldest Henry has already experienced EVERYTHING that has happened in his life to date, and that includes any TT trip he made. Of course, Henry did say that sometimes his memory is somewhat foggy. I get it.

In comparison, I am 72 and I have experienced EVERYTHING and EVERY DAY in my life since 1950 but don't ask me who I spoke to or saw on any particular day in 2005, 1986, most of the 70s or even what I had for lunch any day last month, for that matter. But I was there every single day. Of course I wasn't taking daily notes every day like Henry was.

I remember seeing the feet...they looked like they were cleanly sliced off. My first thought was "Don't let that be Henry!" And then I figured those feet had missed the TT train when a Henry left that spot. Then I started ep 2 and forgot all about it. [See previous paragraph]

SO MANY options for story lines....this really needs to be renewed for at least a half dozen more seasons.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Well yippeedoodah! Just watched ep 1 which a friend uploaded to me via TeamViewer. 😀 And eww, eww, eww, about the severed feet. Shudder.

What is MOST IMPRESSIVE to me is that BOTH leads are British, yet with FLAWLESS American accents. (Going to hunt up interviews on YouTube, to hear what they REALLY sound like.)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Check this out. Great fun interview of Rose and Theo, by Desmin, the actor who plays his best friend in the show. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/LV7ZBCgAMM0

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Unless he doesn't have enough information about the future for some reason."

SO many options on this show.

If Henry time traveled after Clare got pregnant but before she knows it, he could have traveled to somewhere and been stuck there for a year (illness? TT glitch?)...and Clare could have carried the baby to term and given birth before he returns.

Waitaminute.... Henry would still know whatever happened in his life/past even if he was stuck in time 50 years away somewhere. He'd still have the memories of what his younger selves did while he was 50 years away but if no Henry visits Clare for that whole year, he'd have no knowledge of it.

I give up...there are options...but there are so many it just confuses me.

Waitaminute...Henry could've just gotten a vasectomy reversal....if he already knows he has a daughter in his future he'd know it was a successful procedure beforehand.

Every time I think I figured something out I realize it has a loophole. I should stop theorizing and join Mameblanche on the rapids and enjoy the ride. Wheeeeeee......

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
🛶 😁 😉 Welcome aboard!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The question is, are we, team TVCH, smarter than the writer or creator of the show, and could these loopholes be things they've got wrong, not problems with our thinking? ;) ;) ;)

I know what side I'm on!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Heh heh, ditto Kitt!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Pulling no punches, eh? Hmmmm... I like it.

We should start a business:

Ratings dropping?
Getting bad reviews?
Feeling Lost?

Never Fear...Call PLOT FIXERS!

"We fix your plots when you don't know how to!"

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Snicker!!!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 01, 2022 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Well it's been CANCELLED by HBO! So we will never know whether and when she got pregnant!!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, July 02, 2022 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Kitt, read the book. It was better. Loved the cast in this show, but it was a little confusing at times.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2022 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I can't believe they cancelled it.

I was about to start watching. Is it still worth watching the one season?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2022 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'll put in on my list, Babyjax.

It's fascinating and thought provoking, Jimmer, but it's kind of only half a story. Might be worth still watching.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, July 02, 2022 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Definitely worth watching. IMHO

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2022 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh no! Kind of surprised, considering what shows do not get cancelled.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2022 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recommendations. I watched the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fascinating concept and one that has been theorized by many physicists.

Aside from the concept, I also liked the characters, the acting and the writing. Maybe some viewers found the concept too challenging?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2022 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
There seems to have been a lot of hate online for the female actress, saying she only has one expression. Plus the character is a bit crazy in episode 1. I didn't love her in this, but she was great in The Good Wife, so it isn't her fault.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, July 03, 2022 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I like her a lot. Loved her in Game of Thrones. I liked her character and acting here as well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: