TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 27, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Time Traveler's Wife: Archive through June 27, 2022 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, June 19, 2022 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
This last episode - finale after only six episodes?! - really stressed me out. I think it was mostly the constant flipping between times, how can anyone live like that but... THE BABY!!!

You might get pregnant once, expecting it to be fine (Henry afterall did not travel until he was eight). When that didn't work you might try a second time. You might even try a third but after that YOU'D STOP TRYING!!!! Surely???? I mean what if the foetus got to somewhere near viable and then disappeared, how could you bear that? Or what if it even got to be born, but then travelled as a baby and landed somewhere inhospitable? Or a toddler who just runs into traffic. Not to mention the suggestion that if a time traveler is in a car when they travel, they arrive in the other time at that speed!!!

How could you even think about doing that to a baby?! The five tries was too much, and then being mad at Henry for the vasectomy, and then what seemed at the end like she wanted to try again with Henry-28, it just didn't make any sense.

Can't she get a sperm donor? Or adopt?! Argggg it was making me so stressed just thinking about it all!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 19, 2022 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Squinching my eyes.. I caught up as of yesterday but there is one more episode today that I haven't seen. I will be back after viewing that.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 20, 2022 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
This was so different than the book! They actually have a son in the book. This last episode was crazy! He time travelled so much it was dizzying.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, June 20, 2022 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I read something yesterday, after the finale and it said they'd followed the book quite well, and they would continue to do so with season 2 if they're renewed! I haven't read it, so can't judge.

I woke up not as stressed as last night (in fact, just having the little rant here about it calmed me down, lol). Dizzying is the word! I really hate unpredictability so I guess this just presses all my buttons.

One thing that bugs me is why Claire thinks Henry-28 is so awful. I know he didn't tell her he had a girlfriend when they first met, but pretty girl tells you she's your wife, and can't take her hands off you the instant she meets you, it's not that unusual for a man to respond! Maybe if she'd gotten to know this Henry for a few minutes before she ripped his clothes off he'd have had a chance to break up with his girlfriend!

Interesting how they highlighted the whole grooming issue and then seemed to blow it (treating it relatively sensitively) by having her unable to stop herself.

I find Claire quite unlikeable in general really. She always seems like she's been wronged, but I feel like she should try to see it from the person who gets instantly switched between times.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 20, 2022 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Haven't watched the last episode yet, but in the book, wasn't their child a little girl, Mamie?

I Googled, and yes, their daughter was named Alba. This is not really a spoiler cause it was from the book, but I'll put it in spoiler mode, in case anyone wants to go and read the book.

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Traveling to the future, Henry meets his daughter-to-be, Alba, as a ten-year-old, confirming that they'll indeed have a child this time. Alba is a time traveler as well, but she has more control over her travels than her father does. She reveals to Henry that he died at the age of 43 when she was only 5.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 20, 2022 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
That's right. I read the book when it first came out so it was a few years ago. I felt like it didn't follow the book that well but hey, my brain is not working right.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 21, 2022 - 12:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It really was a chaotic episode and after all those brutal travels he would be bruised black and blue!

I also am not fond of Claire or her sister or brother for that matter.

Since his parents didn't travel, but not they are implying that it is inherited, they had to be carriers.

I feel like I've seen a movie of this but probably not.

If you want a lovely and gentle movie involving time travel, I love the British film, About Time, which I haven't seen for awhile but have seen any number of times. I also have the CD of the music, which I enjoyed.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 21, 2022 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
There was a movie, it had Rachel McAdams in it, and I also feel like I've seen it, but nothing in the story is familiar to me, so I don't think I did after all.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 21, 2022 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
In the movie I think I saw, I remember the young girl running in the meadow and him asking her for clothing and such.. but that is all I remember.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, June 23, 2022 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"How could you even think about doing that to a baby?! The five tries was too much, and then being mad at Henry for the vasectomy, and then what seemed at the end like she wanted to try again with Henry-28, it just didn't make any sense."

Kitt, I figured that since Henry had been born and survived the gestation and babyhood just like regular people, it was a fact that it was indeed possible, so they kept trying.

Also, I give them some leeway on the questionable implausability of some of their behavior, considering the fact that what was happening was entirely impossible. :-) Sorry, I tend to stay stuck in reality even while letting my mind/emotions go while watching something based on an impossibility. I stay aware that it's all fiction and I rarely cry at movies because of that. (Although I'll admit I did shed a tear or two while watching this show.)

-----

I did get a bit confused in the finale with all that jumping around, although I did appreciate seeing his arrival at a new destination. Every. Single. Time. :-) :-) :-)

I just wanted to see old Clare stop talking and head off to the bed and crawl under the covers with naked, younger Henry. ;)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, June 23, 2022 - 9:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Sea, that sounds like it must have been the right movie, with that specific a detail.

Sanfran, Henry didn't start jumping until he was about eight, so I think it's reasonable to try at first, thinking that might be the rule, but after a couple of tries I don't know how they could cope with the stress and then grief, of what they knew would almost certainly happen at some point before the baby could fend for itself.

"although I did appreciate seeing his arrival at a new destination. Every. Single. Time."
Even when it was just the feet?! ;) ;) ;)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 24, 2022 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
He has pretty feet, too!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 24, 2022 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It was funny/odd that he usually fell face first on a street but on the stairs would fall face up full frontal.. but fast.

All I could think was yikes, he would be so bruised up, which they never showed.

So was this the finale, or a season finale?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 24, 2022 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
This is about the movie version which I do not remember watching. Maybe I saw part of it but certainly not the entire thing)

https://thecinemaholic.com/the-time-travelers-wife-ending-explained/

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 24, 2022 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So it has not been renewed yet, but if it is there are plans for another season

https://tinyurl.com/bdcrzunm

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, June 25, 2022 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
The finale seemed to be wide open for a continuing storyline. So what if Henry in his 40s got a vasectomy? A one week younger Henry could show up for an intimate visit with Clare.

And did you see that moment after the credits started? About 7 seconds after the screen went to black and started rolling the credits, Clare and Henry were suddenly there talking. (It was 28 year old Henry I think and I don't know how old Clare was but it was after older Henry had been "vasectomized".)

He was telling her:

"It's a weird idea me coming to see you now and then. I mean I'm just him. I'm just basically the guy who got the vasectomy."

That's when Clare said:

"Not yet you're not."

Then the credits returned...
------------

I meant to post about that last scene slipped into the credits, but I just forgot.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, June 25, 2022 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, I think that's where they're going with season two (if they get one, which I think they will). She's going to try for a baby with Henry-28, which I suppose is why they've made out that he's so irresponsible.

Oh I don't get some of these time travel rules! Why doesn't Henry-28 go back to Claire-20 and say, "look, you'll really want a child later and won't be able to have one, why don't we start trying now?" I know they couldn't get pregnant - it's the rule that the past can't be changed - but surely they would start trying and Claire-32's story would change.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, June 25, 2022 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Oh I don't get some of these time travel rules! Why doesn't Henry-28 go back to Claire-20 and say, "look, you'll really want a child later and won't be able to have one, why don't we start trying now?" I know they couldn't get pregnant - it's the rule that the past can't be changed - but surely they would start trying and Claire-32's story would change."

I don't think he could do that because we already know that Henry got the vasectomy and he already knows everything that any younger "OH" (Other Henry) knows, and everything he's done or will have done. Old sick Henry may have jumped ahead 20 years and gotten cured by some future miracle drug....he had said something about the fact that he's "aging must faster" now. Remember, Henry holds back a lot...he's afraid to reveal too much to people in his life AND to us TV addicts!

Heck, there could be a dozen different ways to accomplish churning out a baby in this TT universe. They literally have all the time in the world. (Pun intended, obviously) :-)

I like the TT-rules in this show...there's some great leeway. The idea of coming back and having younger versions of oneself helping out and showing up at sad times like his mom's funeral.

This show is fun in that no matter what they do, their actions were part of what's already happened, past or present....even if you changed your mind at the last second to do something different, that decision would result in whatever already happened, past or present. I guess whether they have free will or not, it doesn't matter because the die is already cast. They are free to believe it's free will or not because there's no way to test it to know for sure....every day when you wake up, you're still Schroeder's cat. (I think that applies here, right?)

Sheesh...I'm just going in circles and confusing myself now.

Dang I wish this show already had a season 2 released with at least 18 or so episodes!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 25, 2022 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, apparently there is or will be a sequel book.. It was mentioned in one of the links, though the director said he had not read the book.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 26, 2022 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
That should be interesting. It is such a weird concept that it intrigued me when it came out. Her subsequent book was not as good but still a decent read.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, June 26, 2022 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It's the "all time exists at once" theory, which I've never been able to get my head around. I much prefer the Back to the Future rules!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, June 26, 2022 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"It's the "all time exists at once" theory, "

I never heard of that theory, but if that's true then time travel both backward and forward would work.

Right now, you can only time travel to the future but not the past.....and it's really, really slooooow.... It moves no faster than a clock!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, June 26, 2022 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"It's the "all time exists at once" theory, which I've never been able to get my head around."

Are you referring to the time travel in TTTW?

As I see it, Henry seems to be the only one who experiences it that way. He appears at many places, and at many times and at all different ages. It seems like he's everywhere at once...oops, Correction: anywhen at once!

I kind of like the idea of that...I keep thinking how at the time of his mother's death, suddenly there were a dozen or more Henry's popping up all over the place at the same time. What gets me is that the 42 year old Henry must have the memory(s) of being there a dozen or more times simultaneously but with a different optical perspective every time (the other Henrys were all around him, across the street, and on the sidewalk, etc...) Anything that happens to Henry at any time of his life, and on every time trip of his life ends up in the oldest Henry's brain.

No wonder he's aging faster than he should.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, June 26, 2022 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, in TTTW, and exactly, he's "anywhen" all at once :-). I've read or seen other stories using that, but I prefer the more traditional way where you mustn't change things in the past. Easier for me to follow!

I just find it very hard to take in. That recording for instance, when Henry asked his mother a question that Clare asked him to ask her. The next time he went back in the past and saw his mother, he remembered the question, asked it, and as such it was in the old recording. But until Clare asked the question in her only existence (as she's not a time traveller) it couldn't be on the tape. But it was. I mean, if someone had played the tape a week before Clare had it and asked the question, would the answer have been on there?!

I'm usually quite good at scifi, I can suspend reality pretty well and just accept things as stated as possible, but I just can't get a hold of this one.

Still, the show interests me, but I think that's why it makes me stressed, there's just too much that my lil ol' brain can't handle.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, June 27, 2022 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
" I mean, if someone had played the tape a week before Clare had it and asked the question, would the answer have been on there?! "

Yes, but they didn't find it a week earlier! That's what I meant about free will....it feels like free will to them, but their futures and pasts seem to be written in stone. Even if they are honestly being spontaneous about something in the present, the past is already ready to support whatever was done in the future.

To me, it looks like there is no true free will on this show because when something in the past needs to have been done in order for something in the present to happen, it always turns out to have already been done.

It's as if there are gaps in linear time in this show, and Henry is the little elf that hops back and forth in time to fill in the gaps just in time. We live our lives like our days are a new deck of cards all in order from 2 to the Ace. Henry lives his life day to day like those same cards....but his deck has been shuffled. :-)