TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 26, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 26, 2017 users admin

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Scotchbright. I forgot that Jack was 36 when the triplets were born.

I guess we don't know how old Rebecca is.

I can relate to this show since I am 73 and some of the show is about Pittsburgh.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Jack was born in 1944. He was 36 when the kids were born and they turned 36 in 2016. For some reason I thought Rebecca was younger but don't recall why.

As for "somebody" being home with the kids that "somebody" can easily be Jack. If the majority of the household and parenting has been left to Rebecca whilst Jack is "working his ass off" outside the home one could surmise Rebecca's ass has been working pretty dang hard as well. Jack, a parent, would be there, in the house with them. The kids aren't being lead into the forest with nary a breadcrumb to lead them back home. Mom would just be out of town for a very short period of time. While Dad is not. If his "working ass" is not at home, why do we see so many parenting moments with Jack? It was Jack teaching Randall that it was a good thing to be smart and to calm his anxiety. It was Jack comforting Kate when the mean girls at the pool were cruel (and also Jack who thought the swimsuit Kate wore wouldn't be a potential teasing problem ignoring Rebecca's opinion) or trying to make Kate feel better when her "friends" abandoned her birthday party. It was Jack who promised Kevin he would watch and be there when Kevin told him he was always making sure Randall didn't feel too adopted and Kate didn't eat too much and that Kevin needed to be seen. It was Jack who chastised the boys when they went after each other during the football game. So Jack isn't working too much to be involved. So Rebecca can go out of town.

Jack kinda bullied Rebecca into getting pregnant. He leased an apartment and bought a run down house without even consulting her. Maybe he would not have had to sell his car if he talked to her and they worked together on a plan. Jack has done of lot of jerk things and admirable things as well. He is human. And he can watch those kids for a few weeks without their mother being there.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
He was obviously active with the kids when they were younger.

I think he was clear before they got married that he wanted kids. She thought about it and agreed. Her choice in order to keep him in her life..

I have already pointed out his many failings, as in not talking to her about big decisions.

But as you advance in your career it is often more difficult to get flexible hours.

And the real point wasn't her being gone for entire evenings, when he was with the kids after a day at work, but that she withheld key information about the guy she was spending time with and later let Jack know that he wasn't cutting it in the wife fulfillment department and instead of talking to him, she went for the tour away from all of them.

Both are flawed. She is just more shrill about it and he went for booze. Neither being great strategies.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
My point was that Jack can be the full time parent while Rebecca is on tour. Just that.

In other news, I don't think Rebecca had in iota of interest in the band guy and it never occurred to her that he might be interested in her. Maybe she should have let Jack know they dated briefly years ago. Seems like water under a very old bridge to me. Maybe he could put on his big boy pants and not get drunk and trust his wife. He could still drive to see her and talk although he should remember appropriate time and place. Jack did know they used to work together. If he didn't like the way the guy looked at her, he could have said so to both of them. If Rebecca is unhappy with Jack again, she should tell him. Maybe she has been telling him and he isn't listening, future episodes may let us know. My point about Jack caring for the kids had nothing to do with the argument we saw after he got drunk.

Am looking forward to next season.

Starr

07-09-2005

Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 6:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
In my opinion, it's clear that a lack of communication is the underlying key. We see it all the time on tv, where secrets are kept from spouses. In this case, TO ME, it's assumptions, instead of secrets.

Rebecca assumed (and said in the argument) that her kids were at an age that they didn't need her anymore. It was talked about here, that, yes, they do.

Jack assumed Rebecca & Ben's dating history meant more than it did. But to Rebecca, she said it was "just 2 months when I was 18" (or 19, I forget which number she said) and didn't mean anything. To her, Ben was just a bandmate now. Jack assumed it was more. When Ben told Jack he he'd crossed the line, I assume (LOL) that Jack assumed it was worse than just an attempt at a kiss.

I suppose I can even say with Rebecca looking to Ben on stage during the song, he assumed was more, and that she had feelings for him... Talk, people! ugh! ☺

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Looks like NBC is going to air season 1 over the summer starting next Wednesday at 9:00 Central.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Mandy Moore was on The Talk today. She said something BIG is going to be revealed during the first episode of the new season. Something everyone wants to know? Didn't / couldn't say what of course. Something to do with Jack's death or Kate's weight? Or what?

Wrennez

11-03-2009

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wrennez a private message Print Post    
How Jack dies of course

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, June 16, 2017 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I don't think they'll tell us how Jack dies for a long time. I've seen in previous interviews that they want to keep stringing us along for as long as possible. Like they told us there would be a "big reveal" on the season finale and we all thought it was Jack's death--but it wasn't!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Season 2 starts Tuesday, September 26, 10:00 PM Eastern.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
I just binged on this show. And now I don't know what to do til Sept. 26. I have to say the last ep left me less than satisfied. Guess maybe because I was expecting Jack to die in virtually every scene. But all the rest of the episodes and mostly the last one were really really good.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hey, Julie!! Good to see you!

I look forward to the next season, for sure..

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I am rewatching the whole season, I'm picking up on things I missed the first go round. I tried to get DH to watch, he lasted 2 eps and said it was too slow. sigh

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm just finishing bingeing both seasons...LOVE IT!! I do NOT like that it is on during the school year, though. I'll be bingeing S3 at Thanksgiving! LOL

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
This Is Us has only been on television for 1 season, it started fall of 2016.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
I put it on my direcTV DVR so I will watch the reruns as they happen. Hopefully that can get me into a "once a week" feel for it, instead of the "feed my addiction" as I want to go kind of thing!!
I don't watch all that much TV these days but am so glad I decided to check out what so many people were talking about!
Initially I was like what is wrong with the writers that within the first few episodes they had conflicting ages for the three, but I soon got over it and it did seem that the correct answer was they were born on Aug. 31, 1980. (Which will make remembering their current age easy for me as my own brother was born was 2 days after them--Sept. 2, 1980.)

Conflict being:
Choice 1 of their age: Pilot opens with Kevin talking about how he was 8 and in 2nd grade when the Challenger exploded. (Jan of 1986 would have had them being born in 1978.)
Choice 2 of their age: They are celebrating their 36th bday in pilot in Sept of 2016. Would have them being born in Sept of 1980.
Choice 3 of there age: In a close up of a report card, Randall's birthday is listed as June 27, 1981.
But that was just the nit picky me that got a little confused.
Now I am in love and the nits won't be picked too hard by me!!

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
this is more just a test to see if I can still remember how to post an image here!! A screen cap of Randall's report card:

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Hey Hey, I remembered!! But I guess you cant click on it to make it bigger, so the type may be too small to read. Oh well.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
interesting!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Julie I can expand the image with two fingers on my tablet.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I can enlarge it using two fingers on the track pad on my MacBook Pro.

I'm trying not to buy so many DVDs, but I've got this season 1 pre-ordered. No release date for it yet.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Did they split the first season? My DVR had 8 eps from when it first appeared, and then it was a good while before the other 8 or 9 eps recorded. I honestly didn't pay much attention, but I was seeing winter weather warnings in the last eps.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I think they went on winter break...ended in November and started back up in January

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Tex. That makes sense. I didn't watch at all during the school year, but it really wasn't that long of a break at all. Had I been paying attention, I'd have noticed the dates. ***Shrugs***

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!

Season 2 begins tonight! :-)

I have missed this family so much.