TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 27, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: Sister Wives: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 27, 2011 users admin

Redpen

07-24-2003

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
Tonight at 10 on OWN, Lisa Ling has a documentary about polygamy. They will repeat it a few times.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh, thanks, Redpen! That should be interesting!

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Yes, thanks Redpen!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Lisa has the Oprah attitude of just buying what they are selling and then tending to extrapolate that to all polygamists..

She was on I think Dr Drew and they included others who had left various sects, like Flora Jessop and you could see how much this pained those trying to explain the depths of the problem.

Of course Lisa's documentary was funded by Oprah,so it figures.

But it is certainly an interesting documentary.

Flora tried to point out that it isn't simple to just make it legal.. that there are many issues that would have to be ironed out.

I personally wonder about things like social security.. a system already stressed.. so if a man who is married to a bunch of wives passes, does each now-legitimate wife get benefits, all those kids? I mean I know the Duggar and other similar families have managed to create as many children from one two person marriage, but some of the polygamist fathers have created scores of children. The system isn't set up for that.

What about health care. One man, gets one job and has a gazillion dependents..

So it isn't simply a case of live and let live.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Exactly, Sea!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I liked seeing the four wives get into working out.. and the theologian who came to visit them came to a logical conclusion.. she observed much love but didn't think she could say that for all polygamists, just this family.

Sammi

03-31-2008

Monday, October 24, 2011 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sammi a private message Print Post    
If they are putting on an act for the camera's they are doing a real good job. They do truly seem all happy and get along great. Has anyone noticed that when they are all sitting around with Kody that Robin is almost always sitting right next to him? Just my observation.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, October 24, 2011 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Robin and Kody are newlyweds, so it makes sense they'd be sitting nearer each other at this point in time. When the bloom is off the rose, she'll probably have to shove over and give up her spot for the NEXT wife. ;)

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, October 24, 2011 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I know this is silly-but MAN I wish Kody would get a hair cut.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Monday, October 24, 2011 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
His hair has receded back pretty far, so I think he's using the length to pretend he has a full head of hair. It was really obvious on the episode when they went back to his home town and the wind was blowing.

Watching2

07-07-2001

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 1:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Watching2 a private message Print Post    
Somehow I missed an episode. I watched two of them last night but neither were the one showing them woring out that I had seen the previews for.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 6:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
If he would cut his hair it would look like he had more...but he's a modern day Sampson (in his own mind) and I'm sure he feels like his power would go away if he cut his mane...LOL!

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Just finished watching seasons 1 thru 3 on Netflix streaming. I agree with everyone who finds Kody strange, creepy, etc. He actually reminds me of Jake Pavelka -- very rehearsed, very fake happy. I'm definitely not buying what he's selling.

The wives seem pretty cool, and I can even understand and relate to some of what they are saying about the big family and the built in support system. But there's a lot that doesn't add up as well.

I'm intrigued, but not buying everything they are selling.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Correction, in my post above, I should have said I just finished watching seasons 1 and 2, not 1 thru 3. I guess season 3 is on the air now? Or will be soon?

One thing that bothers me a bit about the Browns is... it's common knowledge that polygamy is illegal. Whether one agrees or not with the legality of polygamy, right now it's illegal and that's just the way it is. Knowing that, the Browns decided to "come out" on national TV and expose the details of their lives for all to see. When law enforcement perks up and decides to investigate, the Browns seem surprised; they become paranoid and decide to flee the state in dramatic fashion.

First, I don't understand why they would be surprised. Second, I wonder whether they consulted an attorney or spoke directly with law enforcement. I realize the show is TV and who knows what the realities are with editing involved, but we don't ever see or hear the Browns discussing whether they received legal advice or if they simply decided to run for the border.

Either way, if you're doing something that you know to be illegal, and then you come out and publicly acknowledge said illegal acts, you shouldn't be surprise when law enforcement decides to take a closer look.

I can't help feeling the whole Vegas relocation was something of a publicity stunt.

Anyone watching season 3 who can share details of what's happened since the move to Vegas?

Has Robyn had her baby? I think she said at the end of season 2 that it was due in October, which I assume is now, unless it was last October.

How did Robyn and Kody's "secret" about the baby go over with everyone else?

Someone upthread posted a link to a youtube video that I see was being discussed. The video has been removed, so I'm wondering if anyone can provide a few more details of who made the video and what exactly she said. I get the general vibe is she is sort of angry and there may have been some accusations of unpaid bills by the Browns, but that's all I could really get from the comments above. Would love if someone can tell more about the video.

Thanks!

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
The video was a rundown of the bankruptcies that they've each filed and what the bills were. One accusation was rebutted and that was that Robyn had filed bankruptcy in Mexico. There was a second video taking that back and saying that the source wasn't backing up that allegation. My guess is that she took the video down because it contained unproven information and she knew that they could sue her for slander.

For those who asked earlier, the way to remember slander and libel is that slander and spoken both start with s and libel and letter both start with l.

Jezzedout

09-07-2006

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jezzedout a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the addt'l info on the video Jenjackso

Snee

06-26-2001

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snee a private message Print Post    
great way to remember the difference, jen!

Gldnlvr

08-03-2007

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gldnlvr a private message Print Post    
Robyn had her baby today. 9 lbs 10.5 oz. YOWZA thats a big baby!! Baby Solomon was born at home, I assume with the help of the midwife they were seeing on the show.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yowza is right! Yikes! She's pretty small, too! Ouch!!!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Was she under pre-natal care? A baby that big is usually born to a diabetic or pre-diabetic mother nowadays, isn't it?

Speak up, Konamouse!

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
It could have been many things...would be interesting to find out what size some of the baby's siblings were or it could be macrosomia (increased size due to diabetes).

I know she was seeing a midwife. A home birth is not what I would like to see for an older mom with such a large baby.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Gosh, I was just thinking she had a big healthy baby.

Watching2

07-07-2001

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Watching2 a private message Print Post    
I know that's what most of us think of when we hear of a baby that size, but my own grand-daughter was 10 lb. 5 oz. My daughter is 5'2" and she normally runs between 115 - 125 lbs. She had prenatal care by physicians and while she did have swelling, she never had high blood pressure or diabetes. She DID end up needing a C-section. I still can't get over how big of a baby she had! She's way ahead on the charts at 5 mo. old,, too.

So yes, you can have a really big baby without any other complications. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 10:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I hear a lot more babies being born over 9 pounds. Both mine were over 9 pounds and I wasn't diabetic or pre-diabetic.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think maybe babies are getting bigger because people are just getting bigger in general. Better nutrition. Better pre-natal care. If a woman wants to have her baby at home, I see nothing wrong with it. Looking back, I would have loved to have been able to have my son at home (except for the c-section part!). The hospital was a miserable experience. It was crowded and noisy. I didn't get any rest till I went home.