TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 16, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: Sister Wives: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 16, 2011 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I love to goggle!

Thanks, Marameko. I'll look into that one. I wonder if it's on Kindle?

ETA: It is on Kindle. Sounds more like the Hendersons (Big Love family) than the FLDS. I might enjoy reading this one. Thanks!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Yes it is on Kindle, I read the sample very quickly so I will probably buy.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Friday, September 30, 2011 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Wow, those are some old pictures in that article.

I think Kody did say he was raised Mormon.

I know some of the wives were saying that "they" aren't all child brides or subservient women or something like that. To me that implied that whatever their religion is, that it is, or is similar to, the religion that does have child/teen brides and subservient women. I don't know, maybe they are saying that they, as polygamists, aren't all child brides etc.

It is interesting to watch this family. It seems they may become more like 4 separate families now though. Other than sharing a husband, they all seem pretty normal and like anyone else. I just don't see what those wives see in Kody though. But he seems like a good dad anyway. And I guess a good husband to each wife as much as he can be.

It really seems like such a bizarre arrangement.

Kellirippa

07-10-2002

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellirippa a private message Print Post    
I don't remember Kody ever claiming to be mormon, it was just that I, in my ignorance, assumed that all practicing Polygamists were Fundamentalist Mormon's.. I didn't realize that there were other religious groups that also believed in the same practice.. So thank you JenJack, I learned something new today!
Don't think I'm gonna be joinin' up any time soon.. but still.. knowledge I didn't have before

Beangirl

07-06-2011

Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beangirl a private message Print Post    
I thought the same thing Kellie. I can't imagine my husband finding 3 other women to be willing to watch him nap on the couch…….

Lorib

05-18-2011

Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 6:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lorib a private message Print Post    
Beangirl...BAHAHAHAHAHA

I too thought it was all Mormon /Fundamentalist stuff...Interesting
This stuff is like a train wreck,and I gotta say,I was watching documentaries about it way before Sister Wives.It's fascinating..And Don't shoot me for saying this,I would NEVER live that way,never could. But in these days and times,there are people living that way,without marriage certificates,So I don't see why they are "crucified"..I do not condone the groups with uncles marrying (RAPING) their 13 yr old nieces and etc..But if noone is being harmed,I don't get where the Law has to be involved..Just sayin

Sammi

03-31-2008

Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sammi a private message Print Post    
He's only legally married to the first one. If the other three don't care if he is out screwing around and they are happy with that lifestyle I can't see why they just can't be left alone. Why does the law have to get involved. I am just saying my thoughts on the subject. I know I sure wouldn't want to live that way but if there happy, leave them the HE__ alone.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I don't think any charges will be pressed against them. The law is just investigating to make sure no one is being harmed (children or spouses) and that no welfare fraud is taking place. They would certainly not split up a family that seems to be self-sufficient and happy. I think the laws were made to protect against child brides, abuse and welfare fraud, which are the biggest problems with most of the polygamist communities.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
I wonder what happens in these families when the man dies. Mari is married, so she could collect Social Security from Kody's earnings. Not all of the wives work outside of the home, so would all the other wives take care of them? Seems like sooner or later, they could be out of luck. What if Kody died, and Mari remarried outside of this household? There sure are a lot of kids and wives to support! Just wondering!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
One would hope he'd have a huge life insurance policy.

I think with Janelle's two mothers they are still together and support each other, after the husband died.. but they are older, too.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I still can't help but feel that the addition of wife #4 has disrupted this family in a not so good way. They added Robyn & her 3 (now 4) kids & no income. At least one of the "older" wives are feeling insecure. The older kids do not seem happy. Even Cody is feeling stressed out some.

Watching2

07-07-2001

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Watching2 a private message Print Post    
She does seem to have "upset the apple cart" so to speak.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I agree TD-it seems like the wives are trying to convince "us" the audience that the addition of Robyn is A-Ok with everyone and Im not buying it. Also it seems like Robyn and Cody always seem to have a secret between the two of them that they are holding back from the wives-from when they first started dating,from their marriage,from the marriage plans-the Sister Wives had every thing planned then Cody and Robin changed everything,to Robyn being pregnant,to the gender of the baby.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I don't "buy" it either that everything is A-OK. Even though Christine is the only one to verbalize it to us, I read it on Meri & Janelle's faces. Cody is clearly in love with Robyn as well as she with him. It's hard to hide from us through the TV cameras so how hard must it be for those 3 other wives to deal with.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I'm pretty new to watching this reality TV show. My take on Robyn is that she's younger and newer to Kody's life as a sister wife. They are still in the honeymoon stage and will be for some time if Kody's spending every 4th day with Robyn. I think what I'm seeing in the other 3 sister wives are pangs of jealousy, which I don't blame them, it's an honest human emotional feeling. Also, if I understand this correctly, Meri, Janelle, Christine and their children all lived together in one huge house and Robyn had never lived with them. Add this factor to the mix and I can see through the TV lens lots of unsettled emotions. They all have to do something soon to be together or Kody's going to have a cardiac arrest at a young age.

Suzyq52

09-07-2009

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 6:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suzyq52 a private message Print Post    
Hi everyone! I've been reading your posts (especially in the "reality tv" area) for years and finally decided to join the fun! I think there is something that just doesn't add up with the Brown family, but just can't put my finger on it.. maybe there's "stuff" they don't want us to know about???

I found this video - not sure about the accuracy of what she is saying; but it is interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PEYpW2q4Jg

Bombaycat

07-21-2007

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bombaycat a private message Print Post    
Syzyq52 thanks for the video link. All I can say is "Wow!". Very enlightening if true. I agree something has never added up. Kody, Meri & Jannelle quit there jobs when they moved to Nevada. None of them are yet employed so how can they afford to lease 4 separate homes.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Hi Suzyq! I could have sworn I've seen you post before, maybe just not in the reality TV threads? Yes, very telling video and I tend to believe everything the woman said. Something has smelled fishy all along with this family as far as I'm concerned. I want to like them, but Kody makes me cringe.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Actually, Meri was laid off, due to the publicity, from her job with at risk youth. So she didn't have a job when they moved. Kody had a job but his clients were avoiding him or he was avoided or requested less, I gather. Janelle was the one who had to leave a job she loved, but I think she had also lived through having her father taken away and her family divided up, so she may have been one of them feeling they should leave Utah.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Robyn is what Nikki from Big Love called "the new, shiny wife."

Just finished reading "Love Times Three," the book Marameko recommended above. It was a very interesting story about another polygamous family. They mentioned the Browns in their book. This family has been "out" since 2003 and have appeared on a few TV shows (including Oprah and Larry King Live) and been interviewed for print articles. They're kind of similar to the Brown family, only with three wives. The husband married the first two wives on the same day. Interesting, but still the ick factor for me.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Wow! Just watched that video. Who is that woman and why is she so upset with the Browns? How does she know all this stuff she's spouting as fact? I believe that the Browns are being paid for allowing their family to be filmed. TLC probably paid for Kody and Meri's trip to Mexico and for Kody and Robyn's wedding reception and honeymoon. As for what that woman says about polygamy being a whole lot more ugly than what we're seeing, I don't believe in painting all polygamists with the same brush. There are some of the fundamentalists (Warren Jeffs) who abuse underage girls and some who abuse the welfare system, etc. I don't see that with the Browns. I don't see that what they're doing is so awful. Personally distasteful to me, but their children seem healthy and happy and provided for, so why should I care?

I just didn't like the self-righteous way this woman has gone on YouTube to say awful things about the Brown family. Why does she care so much about their financial difficulties, unless maybe she's the wife of the doctor who didn't get paid? She just seems like another busybody who needs to mind her own damn business. Who cares?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Interesting video.. and of course it raises many questions.

The trips shown could be freebies from TLC, just like the Roloffs got trips and the Gosselins, but that wouldn't make it okay to shaft doctors and other creditors in my book.

They need a blast from Suze Orman.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
It's youtubes like these (see above post/link) that make Sister Wives even more appealing to watch on TV. Negative and/or positive publicity is free publicity. I have no inkling of how the Browns are paid by TLC, but I would hope they are being paid to showcase their lifestyle for you and me as we all watch Sister Wives TV. Heck, I'm trying to think up a reality show for me and my family so I can get to live in a large nice home like the wives do...lol.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well that woman making that youtube didn't impress me in a positive way.. seems to have axes to grind..

As for the houses in Henderson.. makes me wonder if they were vacant so they made deals for renting and part of that is that they will work for the real estate agent for free while they are training for their licenses?? Maybe that was why she was expecting Meri and Robyn to be there as well as Kody, Janelle and Christine? Of course they aren't sharing all the details, but just wonder if deals aren't cut that make it easier to have those four houses.

Eggie.. maybe something involving Egbob out hunting for his tumbleweeds, while a small dog watches from her perch in the tree??

Suzyq52

09-07-2009

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suzyq52 a private message Print Post    
I am sure they have hit the gravy train financially with their show. I don't know if it is true about the bankruptcies prior to the show (but think they are public record). Yeah, I don't know the motivation of the woman on the video.

I still wonder if they could have/would have added four new members to their family, quit their jobs and moved to a new city, if there was no TLC.