TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 16, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: Sister Wives: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 16, 2011 users admin

Lurkin

02-15-2002

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lurkin a private message Print Post    
I have a feeling the other wives arent going to be all fuzzy over a new baby right now.'
It seems to me that if they would have moved to 4 seperate houses in the old home town they would not have had to flee like that did.

agree, I can not turn away from this train wreck

Rhondalee

05-10-2011

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rhondalee a private message Print Post    
I hope that living in different houses will cause these women to THINK. Wouldnt it be great to see them move on without oh whats his name.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Since all the kids involved seem to love their father (or step father in the case of Robyn's kids) I don't think it would be great at all. He's actively involved and I'm quite sure none of the kids wants to lose their other mothers if they were to move on.. or their half (or step) siblings.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Because this sort of experinece is so far out of my peronal frame of reference, I guess I am more inclined to "cut them some slack" in how they choose to live their lives -

Happymom

01-20-2003

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Rachael Ray had a woman on her show today who used to be a sister wife. She has written book called Favorite Wife, Escape from Polygamy. She was very interesting to watch and Rachael did a good interview with her.

http://susanrayschmidt.com/

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
I've got UTBOH and 19th Wife both from my local library this past week. I didn't realize Krakaur wrote UTBOH (must've missed the reference to him above). I just finished "Into the Wild" and wasn't too keen on his writing style, but dove into UTBOH anyway. So far it's not as bad as "Wild", but he definitely has a specific writing style, doesn't he?
So far, UTBOH is pretty informative re: the polygamy lifestyle of the FLDS. Actually got a chuckle when he was describing one woman's family tree-she was her own step-grandmother-reminded me of the old song "I'm My Own Grandpa"...lol
Sorry to get in such depth in this thread about this book-kind of felt like I should be in the Library thread.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
No indeed, BJR. After struggling through that book - UTBOH - I was so thankful to find someone else who found this book a bit dense. I don't read much nonfiction so I feel better to find someone who didn't find it a page-turner!

"19th Wife" and "Shattered Dreams" are much more readable -

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well of course they are, but Krakaur isn't the most readable non fiction writer for sure.. but if you want to learn a bit more general stuff he's reporting and not writing a personal memoir.. lol.. since he cannot be a sister wife.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I'm with you, Tnt, I much prefer reading fiction. I get bogged down with non-fiction. UTBOH is very informative and interesting, but I have to take it in chunks. Not exactly a page-turner. I've been forcing myself to read more non-fiction, since we have a son with some special needs and I've been trying to educate myself, but non-fiction is not my preference.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I know I'm strange. I've gone years at times only reading non fiction when I was really passionate to learn about some subject or area but I tend to mix them quite a bit and of course while memoirs are NF, in the right hands they can be quite literate and entertaining, moreso that straight nonfiction stuff.

But I also never want to stop learning new stuff, so I read the paper, blogs and other actual hard news (along with more tabloid crap of course!!).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think what I was trying to say is keep that in mind when I recommend a book I like because it might be non-fiction

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" about the catastrophic Mt. Everest season where eight climbers were killed is a terrific read (he was there when it happened BTW). I disliked "Into the Wild," less because of his writing style and more because I found the protagonist to be a) a completely unsympathetic character and b) a righteous casualty of his own dumbassery.

UTBOH is somewhere between those two books as far as triggering and keeping my interest. As I said before, the story he tells is different than the one I expected. I won't read his book on Tillman because the subject matter too painful, but for the most part I like the stories Krakauer finds to tell. He would benefit from a top notch editor, however. Clean up his organization so the stories are less difficult to follow.

ETA I'm with Seamonkey, I only read non-fiction so any recommendations from me are necessarily in that genre.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Into Thin Air was terrific though he was pretty harsh on certain people and kind of light on himself and a few others in that horrible timeframe. I did read the book by Andrei Boukareev (I'm totally not spelling it right) who was one of those maligned by Krakauer and his take on that time was quite different. (He died a few years later so cannot speak now but at least he published his version) and then later the son of the head Sherpa wrote a book about it all from a different point of view and that was quite a book. I have quite a library of books on the mountain climbing theme. Fascinating.

Totally agree on Into the Wild and thought Krakaur came off biased as all heck in the Tillman book!!! It is painful.

GAL.. a non fiction writer who I just adore is Tracy Kidder, starting with The Soul of a New Machine and on forward.. each subject he chooses is unique, he immerses himself completely.. and he's a good writer.

I guess for me real life is so often stranger and more interesting that so much fiction.

But you might like The Help, even though it is fiction :-)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am a Southerner and "The Help" rocks. I know ALL of the white folks in it! The movie is coming out this summer, and I don't know how well it reflects the booK. The book reads quickly and well - Try it before you see the movie!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, I will look for the Boukareev and "sherpa son" books on the Everest debacle. I'd like to see some other points of view on what happened that day.

Topic? To each his own, but the lifestyle they're leading doesn't appeal to me in the least. I guess I don't share so good.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
GAL, you hit it on the head-his organization is probably what makes him a harder read for me.
I read both non-fiction and fiction. While most of the non-fiction I read are "true crime" stories (Ann Rule for example) and the subject matter can be rough, they are much easier for me to read than Krakauer's. I'm only up to Part II in UTBOH, and have learned quite a bit I didn't know about polygamy. From what I've seen of this show, and I'm not a regular watcher, it seems that Kody's family is very different than the FLDS families represented in the book.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 7:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
You might also want to read "The Climb" by Anatoli Bourkeev. Oops, I just saw that it had already been recommended. It was a great book (and yes, he died on Annapurna).

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Tntitanfan, I read The Help several months ago. Loved it! Very quick and interesting read. I do like fictionalized history/historical novels, but have a tough time with non-fiction. I get sleepy. I need a good story to keep me going. Why I had to major in English Lit to get thru college. I like to learn things, too, just have a hard time sticking with a subject matter if it's too dense and doesn't read easily. Just the way my brain works.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Roxip, but you supplied the title.. I definitely recommend The Climb.. with you all lived down the street.. you could visit my little library of mountain climbing type books. All hardbacks..

Some nonfiction can be written so well that it slides right down like the best of fiction.

I particularly love memoirs written by writers.. Amy Tan, Stephen King, Anne Lamott and many others. Danielle Steel, however, ACK.. I had stopped reading her years ago after a couple or three novels just because the plots were from the same formula. But she CAN write, so I figured her memoir about her bipolar son and his struggles and death would be well written. NOT. I was gobsmacked at the terrible structure and apparent lack of editing.

GAL.. think the son is son of Tenzing Norgay.. I'll try to remember to get off my butt later (well, after I get home from my drive today.. longish day for her chemo) and look at my collection of climbing books.

ETA: Here is the book by the son (Jamling T Norgay) of the Sherpa (Tenzing Norgay) who climbed with Sir Edmund Hillary:

Touching My Fathers Soul

And here is Bookreev's book:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_14?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=tenzing+norgay&sprefix=tenzing+norgay#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+climb&sprefix=the+climb&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Athe+climb

LOVED "The Help" and at least the previews of the movie look good. Hope it is of the quality of the movie of "The Secret Life of Bees" which was another excellent book.

+++++++++

But! Came here to report, from Good Morning America, which I recorded or am recording still, for the Jaycee Dugard segment,

The Browns are suing the State of Utah over their anti polygamy law. They all look good in the video clips they are showing. They just want to be able live without harrassment, not expecting it to be legalized.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Not to beat a dead horse (okay, maybe a little), but I just don't see that they're doing anything actually illegal. He's only legally married to the first wife, he's not "sealing" himself to anyone underage (they're all consenting adults), nobody seems to be collecting welfare and the kids seem happy and healthy. I would think the investigation by the SoU would conclude all of that. I understand why they have to investigate polygamy. A lot of times there is some kind of abuse going on, but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

Sea, I've always loved memoirs as well as biographies. I read a lot of Danielle Steel back in the early 80's when she was really popular (we passed them all around in the office where I was working at the time--remember "The Ring" or "The Promise"?), but gave up on her years ago for the same reason as you. Woman has made a pile of money by writing the same story over and over and over. I used to love Stephen King, too (such a great writer!), but he got a little too dark for me after a while and I had to give him up. I still think about some of his books to this day, though ("Salem's Lot" haunts me, as well as "The Stand," "Pet Sematary" and "Dreamcatcher").

The new "Game of Thrones" book comes out today! Woo hoo!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Under the Dome was really good.. kind of vintage King.. and I have his new one on order for whenever it is released for Kindle.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I read somewhere today that they are going to challenge the polygamy law in Utah.

Here is what the lawyer says..(from a Reuters article)

The family, in a lawsuit to be filed on Wednesday, will challenge Utah's bigamy statute. It is not trying to get the government to recognize plural marriage, just to stay out of the intimate affairs of consenting adults.

"We are only challenging the right of the state to prosecute people for their private relations and demanding equal treatment with other citizens in living their lives according to their own beliefs," family attorney Jonathan Turley said in a statement.

To me this is just a blatant attempt for more publicity. Utah apparently has not filed charges and has no plans to do so...

Utah law enforcement officials conducted an investigation into the family but no charges have been filed, and their lawyer has previously praised prosecutors for their "commendable discretion and judgment" in the case.

He (the lawyer) has said that in the past, Utah officials had made it clear to polygamous families that they would not pursue them absent evidence of another crime, such as child abuse.

So basically isn't the state already doing what the Browns' lawyer is challenging them with?

Of course, we all know how much Kody loves publicity.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
they've got to stay in the news.........keep folks interested if you will........THIS IS their source of income afterall.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I'm tending to think the whole "flight to Las Vegas" was just a big show for publicity. They'll be back in their big house in Utah by the end of next season. I still enjoy this train wreck. I've gotten attached to all of them. Well, all except Kody.

Sammi

03-31-2008

Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sammi a private message Print Post    
I don't understand all the hoopla. He is legally only married to one. If she is okay with him shacking up with three other women why doesn't the state just leave them alone. Let them be, if there happy with it. Just my two cents.