TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 14, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: Sister Wives: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 14, 2011 users admin

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
What upsets me the most is invoking a religious aspect to these unions. These are all adults & I personally believe that a family is a family & people have the right to choose but teaching that this is the only path to enter heaven to their children bothers me.

They always retort that what's the difference in a man cheating on his wife & having multiple wives but I would think a pious man wouldn't be encouraged to cheat on their wives - not all men cheat - many do, I won't deny that but when they brainwash the women to believe that it's their only pathway to enter heaven (to justify/rationalize their cheating), that's where I've got to draw the line.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've never heard them say once that plural marriage is the only way to enter heaven.. (fundamentalist polygamists, perhaps, but not this family).

In fact they seem to make it pretty clear that each of their kids will have a choice of lifestyle.

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
You are right Sea, they haven't spelled out their beliefs, but Janelle did say that (I hope I'm quoting this correctly) Of course we teach our children our beliefs, they wouldn't be our beliefs otherwise.

I don't believe they would force polygamy on their children, but I do think they believe this union is tied into their religious beliefs and not just an alternative living arrangement.

Cyclope

09-13-2005

Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cyclope a private message Print Post    
Hi, I came to this thread a while ago and saw a book recommendation for "The 16th wife". I really enjoyed the reading and wanted to say thank you to the poster (sorry I don't remember who it was).

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
It sounds good Cyclope.

Cyclope

09-13-2005

Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cyclope a private message Print Post    
shoot... just got back home, started my e-reader and I made a typo, it was "the 19th wife" lol!

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
It's ok. I'll look for it.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, June 10, 2011 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
It might have been me, Cyclope! I read that book (Th 19th Wife). They also made a movie of it. It was a TV movie, so probably gets repeated every now and then (movie wasn't as good as the book, but it had Matt Czuchry who I love!).

There were a couple of other books recommended here. One was Shattered Dreams, which was also a fasincating, but sad, read (think that was Goddessatlaw's call). Seamonkey also brought up "Under the Banner of Heaven," which I started, but had to take a break from. It was *very* intense!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, June 10, 2011 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have "Under . . . Heaven" checked out of the library, but I too have to take it in small doses!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 10, 2011 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I can understand that, TNT.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, June 10, 2011 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
So r the sister wives just renting their individual homes? I thought they bought them. They speak like they will all be together under one roof ASAP.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 10, 2011 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
They are renting right now.

When Kody came over earlier, and they found the four homes on one block, they were talking rent to buy, but this time I only heard rent.

I think the original goal, and HIS goal is one big home.

I wonder.. where I live we have four side by side two story townhomes in a row, per building. If they could find such a building as mine, all available at once, it might work for them. my building has four units, thus four kitchens at least 8 bathrooms and 12 bedrooms, plus four garages in a row that would hold 8 vehicles, each garage has a 400 square foot room above it, too. and four patios but those could be made into one long patio just by taking down three internal fences and then people could go back and forth easily, even if no major walls were broken. Good schools, there is a play area and lots of greenbelt and a half basketball court, community pool..

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 6:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
That sounds like a good plan, Sea, except I think they might need a new build to have four units available simultaneously. They would probably want to do some interior re-configuration as well to have large enough cooking and dining areas for that many people.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well, they could convert and who knows there could be a whole building available somewhere. And prices are down..

Or.. they could buy an apartment building with enough space. But of course the house they already had, with some addition, whold have been perfect.. though it seems a couple of wives are sort of enjoying having individual dwellings..

Pirate

06-12-2011

Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pirate a private message Print Post    
I have absolutely no sympathy or empathy for these people. They are so concerned about finances and then Kody and Robin choose to get pregnant. That's so irresponsible or either they have a lot more money than they are actually admitting to. Renting four large houses in Nevada can't be cheap. I think Jannell said they cashed in their retirement savings and were going to start a family business but as far as I know there hasn't been any details about that yet.

Their older kids are still suffering from being jerked out of their home and taken away from their friends. And now they have to hear about a new kid on the way and how happy the Dad and mom are.

I don't care if they all want to live together as one big family. As long as they are not infringing on any one else's rights then I say to each his own.

I watch this show and by the end I'm mostly frustrated at them. Mostly because of the constant references to the financial burden and how the "wives" who wanted this lifestyle still complain and have jealousy issues.

It's like a car wreck, I just can't seem to turn away.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
Interesting that a couple of the wives are enjoying the independence of living in their own homes. That's certainly not what Kody wants.

Cyclope

09-13-2005

Monday, June 13, 2011 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cyclope a private message Print Post    
I'll check "Under the Banner of Heaven", thank you Babyjaxmom and Tnt!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, June 13, 2011 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Cyclope - If you have not read it, "Shattered Dreams" is a much easier - meaning style-wise, not subject matter - read. Of course, every 10 to 12 pages, I was screaming "What were you thinking?!?" at the author!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 13, 2011 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well they are apples vs oranges in terms of books and in terms of learning about a whole organization vs a personal story, though of course the author of the personal story observed others in the same situation and Krakaur obviously went to the subject as a journalist since he's not part of a fundamental group and all.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 13, 2011 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't remember having any problem reading the book (Under the Banner) except for feeling rage at what was documented. I've read any number of Jon Krakauer's books and they were fairly readable but they are nonfiction of course.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, June 13, 2011 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I skipped past the vivid descriptions of the crime. I've seen enough of that in real life. As you get older it's tougher to shake the imagery. Never bothered me so much when I was younger.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 13, 2011 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I'm having trouble getting thru UTBOH. I read a couple of chapters and have to switch to something else for a while. It's so depressing and intense!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 13, 2011 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well there is that.. but I feel like I have to learn about stuff, even if it is terrible. And I've had plenty of trauma in earlier life but.. I figure if people have to live it, I can read about it or hear about it. BUT I do know what you are saying and that stuff really sucks!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I feel the same way as you, Sea (needing to know about it). It's just that sometimes I feel like I'm slogging through mud and need to take a break. Plus I'm just obsessed with Game of Thrones right now, too (just finished the 3rd book and the 4th one is sitting in my Kindle, calling to me).

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I think you hit the nail on the head, Sea. I rarely read non-fiction, so I find it hard going at times!