TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 08, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: Sister Wives: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 08, 2011 users admin

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am not at all sure that I would be concerned about providing my husband with an 18th child! I hope Mari is happy with her position as first (and only legal) wife -

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 10:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But, TNT, at the time they were trying for their second child.. I think she may have miscarried too. And while I know she'd like to have another child herself, and probably isn't so worried about adding to numbers, I think it is more the heartbreak she's not up for, trying again. Not to mention the money.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 5:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Very good points, Sea!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
And at this point in her life, she didn't seem to have the need to have another biological child. She gets to be a mom to all the other kids, so why should she try to have one of her "own" when all the other kids are "hers" too?

Robin's son has Aspergers, which is on the Autism scale. Kids with Aspergers (James on AI has it, too) are typically very smart, but have social issues. They are usually not very athletic, may have food issues, trouble adjusting to new situations, low tolerance for frustration, but often are very, very focused on whatever they're interested in (with some kids it's dinosaurs, computers, video games). My son is also on the autism scale. He's obsessed with Mario, video games and computers.

I don't think any of the kids are "brats" or spoiled at all. I think Mariah is just used to having her mother's attention, since she is her mother's only child. The younger ones may act up at times, but remember they are under a lot of stress from being in front of the cameras. Every kid has their moments of not behaving so well, and that's probably what they show us since it makes more interesting TV than children on their best behavior. I think they're all remarkably well behaved and loving children. And the teenagers are just teenagers! I understand Mariah not wanting to move away from her friends and her school. That's her whole world at this point in her life. Totally understandable.

Gldnlvr

08-03-2007

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gldnlvr a private message Print Post    
I love Janelle's oldest son also . . he is so mature. I remember them showing a while back him making breakfast every a.m. for the younger kids. I'm sure they have all had to give up a bit of their childhood to help out with family chores.

To me, all of the children look just like their mom's. Maybe thats a good thing!

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I don't like to judge but I didn't see the reason to move. I don't believe that they were in any imminent danger of being broken up as a family. People lived together with mixed families all of the time with kids from this one and that one. They would have tough legal ground to prove any wrongdoing when they aren't taking public aid. If a married couple takes in a girlfriend and they all live together it's no different than what these folks are doing and that is actually something that I've seen many times throughout my life.

I have a strong personal belief about moving children around. I believe in stability with friends and schools to create a strong foundation for kids. I would find a way for a teenager to stay with relatives or someone who is willing to help, to be able to finish a school year.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Meri of course didn't bring up trying to have a child, recently.. that was Kody being flakey and thinking it was a big gift to her in some way.

But it remains that a dozen years ago or more when it was just them and they had one child and wanted more, at that time it probably made sense to try fertility treatments and it was undoubtedly incredibly painful to lose pregnancies or "fail". But now, shouldn't even be a thought and I think for Meri, it really isn't for the reasons posted above.

As for what fears they must have had.. hard for us to really know, but they had past experience to reference, where kids WERE separated when polygamous families were split up and they have gone public AS polygamous, not just a mixed family (where they might be half and step kids but not one person in current relationship with multiple spouses. And they were being investigated without being told the conclusions.

I did feel for the older teen wanting to remain behind and thought they should consider her wishes strongly.

And of course I don't think I'd have chosen the public route if I thought there were major vulnerabilities, which they seem to have thought.. but.. too late now.

I also wonder if Kody simply has a short attention span and thus major change after major change as they add wives and kids and then a major unplanned move.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Friday, June 03, 2011 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I kind of feel that same way about Kody. He says this lifestyle is about religion but he really does seem to jump from one thing to another very quickly. Is he really ever satisfied?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I haven't caught up with this season yet but I, too, wonder the real reason for the change in location. Is Henderson, Nevada, really that much more accepting? I would think remaining around other relatives and friends who already know your situation would have been better.

Kep421

08-11-2001

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
Personally (and I'm no MD, so this all just personal observations based on my life experiences) I think Kody has adult ADD. He reminds me of my son before my son turned 14...someone with a lot of ideas and a hundred and one ways to get them done.

Kody kinda creeps me out too...but I think he has a good heart under there...He tries very hard to be patient and understanding with all his wives and children and even tho I'm not sure there was all that much to be frighted of, Kody certainly felt threatened and did what he thought at that moment as the best way to protect his children.

Kody is a man with a vision, probably several visions actually...and like a person with adult ADD...his plans to create those visions are all over the place and are subject current pressures at any given time.

I like Kody's wives and they all seem to be women of strong opinions and ideas. If Kody was this machismo bully who insisted that everything be his way or the highway, I don't think any of his wives would be with him. I think the wives are a testament to the goodness actually in Kody, and I think this goodness doesn't really come across well on screen.

I too think the kids are normal and well grounded. I haven't seen any bratty behavior...they seem pretty well behaved for all that's going on around them. Love the silliness and playfulness of the younger once...the serious faces of the teens trying to be grownup...and the sense of humor displayed by the family as a whole...

The children are more like the barometer of how well the family is doing. I think the kids' being so well adjusted is a result of ALL the parents, including Kody. If you remove the religious aspects and just think of them as just a family, I think these children have good role models...and all five parents seem to be consistent and support each other in their parenting.

I felt for Robin when she said that this wasn't the America she learned about in school... but having moved quite a bit as a child myself, I think they are making the right choice to move. The children will make new friends and connections and this time in a place where the community will be more accepting of them and they won't have to 'hide' anymore.

I admire the kind of bravery this entire family is projecting...kudos to the Browns!!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
We need to remember that these people grew up in a much different culture than most of us did. Where some of us might think Kody was overreacting to the investigation by the State of Utah, some of his wives grew up in a culture where it wasn't uncommon to see a family split up and a father thrown in jail. If that's what you grew up with, it would be hard to believe that it couldn't also happen to you. They were scared. In my mind, they weren't technically breaking any laws, since he's only legally married to one wife, they don't seem to be drawing illegal support from the government and the kids and wives seem happy and well adjusted (no evidence of any kind of abuse). I would hope the SOU would decide not to persue any action against them. But I didn't grow up with that fear, so I can be more objective than they can. Maybe they'll be able to move back to Utah at some point in time. It's a shame to have to leave that big house that's so fitted to all of them (except for poor Robyn, they need to build an addition for her).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 11:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Interesting episode tonight and I guess the last until fall now.

Each wife in a house, Meri a mile from the others.. Kody being an ass for awhile about Meri's house costing more than one of the other wives with more kids but she wanted room to host the whole family. Plus Meri and Christine seem pretty happy with a separate home and separate time with Kody, while Janelle and Robyn and Kody are wanting to move more toward a big home again.

Kids in school, family attended a block party where two wives live and met people, etc.

Couple of wives went back for more of their stuff and all the pets.

Robyn is pregnant and she went to tell Meri first but the episode ended before she did.

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Monday, June 06, 2011 - 1:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
I thought I read that Janelle (and Kody possibly) were the major breadwinners for the family. I thought I read that she worked for the state & therefore her salary was public knowledge & that she made $60k annually. I have only done a cursory search but am not seeing it posted about her losing her job (only Meri) but she did mention that they all lost their jobs.

I can see Janelle wanting the one house where Christine can be the primary caregiver - allowing Janelle to work & I can see Christine not wanting to raise ALL the children.

I was kind of surprised that Meri (& Robin) didn't double up with one of the other wives. I would imagine Kody's ADD personality would have him flitting between everyone in his flock & leaving no one satisfied (but him)

I would have thought they could have got condos, duplexes, apartments, or quads that would have them closer together.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 06, 2011 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Janelle didn't lose her job, but clearly when they moved to Vegas, in Nevada, she wasn't working for the state of Utah (or wherever) anymore.

But Meri also had a job she loved and she did lose that and Kody was losing clients at work. And Robyn probably planned to work again, but being pregnant, I'm guessing not so much.

Yep, lots of conflicting issues there..

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, June 06, 2011 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
ok, do any of them plan to seek employment (other than being reality "stars")? Just IMO:

Cody: This IS his job now! Isn't he the one who instigated the whole "coming out" with a reality show. I think his "real" job was going down & he knew it so he jumped on the reality TV wagon as a means to support his growing "herrom" & family.

Meri: She may very well BE the brain behind the whole plan. However, she does only have the one child & this child is all but grown up. I could see her taking employment out of boredom.

Janelle: Most definatley I see her seeking employment. She's never been a stay-at-home Mom & has been straight forward about her desire to not be one. She's a professional & she is going to miss the corp. world - that was her individuality.

Christine: Heck no! She has never worked outside of the home & has no desire to. I see her becoming PG again soon because that is what she does.

Robyn: She's not going to work outside of the home & has guaranteed this for at least awhile by becoming PG. I could actually see her working from home though in a paying position. Maybe even doing something with Meri.

As long as this "family" holds our attention (and they do this very well), TLC is the employer to all of them.

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, June 06, 2011 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Where are these people getting their money?????

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 06, 2011 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The show??

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 06, 2011 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh, they did mention wanting a home based business.. but don't know what..

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
They said in the show that they were going to pull some money out of their retirement fund. I was thinking they should get Extreme Home Makeover to come and build them a house that would accomodate their whole family. Come on, say it with me,

"Move! That! Bus!!!"

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I was a bit put off with all the wives saying how they "deserved" these huge houses. What exactly have they done to deserve them anymore than any other person out there who'd like to have a big house? Or for that matter, any house at all.

I think Kody's opened up a big can of worms. Already half the wives prefer the new arrangements. Their insulated little world is completely opened up now. If they wanted to show how great polygamy works, they probably should have stopped with a few specials, because the more episodes they show, the more resentments seem to be surfacing, and it doesn't look nearly as peaceable or workable as it kind of did at the beginning.
And why, if you are trying to keep your family protected from all the "evil" outside influences, would you move to Sin City?

Connies

03-11-2010

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Connies a private message Print Post    
I don't know if I would call this polygamy or just a part-time husband. If you don't have to share a home with multiple wives, seems to be a part-time husband situation. ha. I think that is what I had with my second marriage.

Cricket

08-05-2002

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
Do they all live in one home or do they have separate homes like on Big Love?

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
I'd be writing hate letters to ABC if they were to do an Extreme Home makeover for these people! They aren't in this situation because of some tragedy, they chose it!

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
I don't know if this has been discussed before, the puzzle pieces just dropped into my head...

Kody is Janelle's stepbrother (her mother is married to his father) AND her first husband is Meri's brother.

One of these items, surprised/shocked me, but the combination has my head reeling.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
and........Kody's father is still married to Kody's mother so that makes Kody's Mom & Janelle's Mom "sister wives"......

I tell you, I find this family interesting mostly because I don't understand them!