TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 02, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Deadliest Catch: Archive through June 02, 2011 users admin

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm watching too (but had no power last night)...I think that Jake Harris is still smoking and that the Captain has a right to make sure that he is sober when he's on the boat. Josh is still trying to walk the fine line of doing the right thing and trying to keep his brother under control...he has really grown up a lot in the last few years, hasn't he?

No offense to Phil, but everybody aboard the Cornelia Marie needs to understand that he is no longer there and they need to work with the new Captain, instead of against him. I understand their frustration with the blue crab, and I think they were right to move, but they can't keep dragging their heels and bemoaning him not being Phil...it isn't his job to be Phil...it is his job to go crab fishing. It is an unenviable position for him anyway - to be Captain yet have two co-owners on the boat with him.

Jake Anderson needs to do some growing up too.

I hadn't noticed Matt not being on the boat. Maybe he got in trouble again over the off-season and is having to pay the price.

My only problem with this season is that they are focusing on the new boats and then there is way too much of Keith and the Wizard. I just don't care for Keith. I would much prefer to see the Time Bandit and the Northwestern.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Thanks, BJR.

Roxip, ITA with everything you said (even though I won't watch the show until this weekend).

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
I did some reading up on the Cornelia Marie after watching last night's show. There is a lot we didn't get to see.

There is a new Captain as of January (don't know when this show was filmed), but Josh and Jake are onboard. The new guy worked under Phil Harris for 11 years as a deckhand, so hopefully this will work out.

The CM only fished for blue crab for 8 days, while other boats were out there 30-40 days with similar results, so the crew were being jackasses IMO

The money J&J said they lost during those 8 days was a huge exaggeration. Together, Josh and Jake only own 25% ownership and the money they said they "lost" over those 8 days was the total lost, NOT their percentages. Apparently these boys don't seem to understand that they have to spend money before they make any.

The general consensus of readers on the CM's website are saying really horrible things about Captain Derrik Ray. I pretty much think Phil Harris was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but that crew has not accepted Phil's death and he was in a no-win situation. He was asked to take over the ship by Phil himself.

Here is a VERY interesting interview with Derrick Ray, and he talks about the future of the Cornelia Marie:
http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2011/05/seaside_captain_faces_a_mutiny.html

Here's a picture of the new Captain:
http://dutchharbordirt.blogspot.com/2011/01/deadliest-catch-update-meet-new-captain.html

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I guess they fired (or he chose not to return) Derrik after the king crab season and brought in the new caption for opies. I agree...he was in a no-win situation.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Wow, great job digging up info, Hukd! In the blog from the second link, it mentions Freddie is new to the Wizard. Since it didn't give his last name, I did some searching and found that it is indeed Freddie Maughtai from the CM, and also found out that Steve Ward, the engineer on the CM, is now on the Fierce Allegiance. Ryan, a deckhand, is the only remaining crew member from Phil's crew, other than the two Harris boys.
I agree that they didn't give Derrik a chance-8 days? Really? Like mentioned, even the "stars" like Sig and the Hillstrands have runs of no crab. Also agree with "too much Keith".
The Northwestern website says that Matt is still a crew member. I haven't seen him this season, though.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Hukd, that is a VERY interesting article on the CM. Thanks for posting it.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
You're welcome! I couldn't just wait until next week to see what happened... ha ha ha!

Yankee_in_ca

07-31-2000

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yankee_in_ca a private message Print Post    
Here's one from EW: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/25/deadliest-catch-jake-derrick-cops/

And one where the producer weighs in:
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/05/deadliest-catch-josh-harris-derrick-ray-and-producer-jeff-conroy-talk-near-mutiny-on-the-cornelia-ma.html

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Great links, Yankee.
The producer says "This idea can get lost easily -- I think Derrick's intentions were good. Derrick thought he was doing the best he could for those boys. I don't think it was, but I thought he was doing the best he could do."
Makes me think that what Derrick said about the boys being more about the TV show than fishing is believable. Seems like the producer is hedging re: Jake's drug use and the boys' can't-teach-me-nothin' attitudes.
Agree that no one is going to run the boat like Phil did and the crew needs to understand that. I wonder if Freddie (another crewman I love) and Steve left the boat due to all of the drama. I'm trying to understand Freddie leaving the boat-after Phil's stroke, Freddie sounded like he really loved Josh. Understandable since he more than likely watched these boys grow up.

Grannygirl4

06-06-2007

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grannygirl4 a private message Print Post    
I just came back from a vacation to Alaska and took a tour on the Aleutian Ballad with Derrick Ray. He looks like he's doing well. Loved the tour!

Queenie

07-09-2007

Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Queenie a private message Print Post    
Oh Granny I envy you!! I would LOVE to visit Alaska!
Hummm, if I was Jake and I wanted to make a point of being clean then why not take the test??
It was his chance of showing Derrick that he was wrong.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I liked Mr Ray. He had to do what he did or if drugs were found on the boat, he could have lost his license and Cornelia Marie could have lost her boat. 8 days is not long enough to try and catch blue crab IMO. It sure took the other boats longer than that. On another site they said that the boys and Cornelia got their paper work in too late for the crab and that Keith gave them part of his quota. I happen to like Keith I think he has a temper, but calls his guys in when there is bad weather sooner then any other boat. Big mistake with the tarp, but I bet he learned something.

Ladyw

06-28-2007

Friday, May 27, 2011 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladyw a private message Print Post    
Grannygirl4 -- we are heading up there in august and I already booked that tour on the Aleutian Ballard as well...From what I have heard on my "cruise" board it has become one of the most popular tours up there. (in ketchican correct)

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Friday, May 27, 2011 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I wish that tour had been available when we were in Ketchikan. Sounds wonderful.

Grannygirl4

06-06-2007

Friday, May 27, 2011 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grannygirl4 a private message Print Post    
Ladyw---yes, it was in Ketchikan. We didn't have time to see the town because of the tour on the Aleutian Ballad, but we aren't sad. It's different from others because these guys lived it. They tell personal stories with such emotion. It was actually Derrick's birthday the day we toured. I only have good memories from that trip, and a few good pictures too! I hope you have as good a time as we did.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Just catching up on the season. On the quotas, it sounds like the Cornelia Marie made money on the sale of it's share of the crab quotas without having to even leave the harbor. Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Oh, and I was in total agreement with Derrick Ray's approach. As the one article said, he wanted to fish and it sounded like Jake and Josh wanted to make a tv show.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 7:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Okay, last night...the Time Bandit playing a trick on Sig...that was pretty darned funny. Sig totally freakedout...LOL!

I think Jake definitely wants to make a tv show...I think Josh is straddling the fence between trying to keep his brother and the ship afloat, not to mention the franchise, and knowing that Phil would come down and haunt him forever if they don't get the Cornelia Marie back into fishing again.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
I believe Derrick Ray's statement that the boys just want to make TV and aren't truly fishermen. Captain Phil must be rolling over in his grave about Jake and the drug use, and at the boys firing Derrick after only 8 days of fishing. I guess neither Josh nor Jake is mature enough to be boat owners.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
<<--- Also believes Capt. Derrick Ray.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I believe Captain Ray too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Me too!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Oh, by the way, me too.

On the Cornelia Marie's facebook page, there was a "thing" going around about having Edgar Hanson take over the Cornelia Marie, and of course he quickly said he wouldn't consider it, but if he did he would run it just like Derek Ray...no tolerance means ABSOLUTELY no tolerance. You go Edgar! (Please excuse me if I got his name wrong...he's so gorgeous I can't see through the drool running when he's on my television...LOL!)

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Does Edgar have a Captain's license?

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
When Edgar (again) said that this would be his last king crab season, I wondered why he couldn't be in the wheelhouse with Sig like the Hilstrands do. His knowlege of the engine and how to run a deck would be so hard to replace, and he can still take over the boat when Sig has to sleep (they all seem to take turns at the wheel). Why would he have to do the physical work of a deck hand anymore?

And we would still have our Edgar eye candy to enjoy next season :-)