TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 17, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: Sister Wives: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 17, 2011 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
That was a fascinating, yet horrific, book! To think that women actually live that way in these modern times! It was really eye-opening.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Chief, nice spoiling!

Kep421

08-11-2001

Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 5:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
I can no longer find Sister Wives on any of my cable channels or on Demand.

Did some companies drop the show?? I have Time Warner...

Bombaycat

07-21-2007

Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bombaycat a private message Print Post    
Not sure about companies dropping it. Comcast shows new episode on TLC Sunday night 9pm eastern time.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We have repeats on 5/8 with two new entries..

Kep421

08-11-2001

Friday, May 06, 2011 - 4:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
Thanks,,,I'll look to see if I can record them on the 8th.

I am taping so many things on Sunday night, Borgias, Game of Thrones, Apprentice, Amazing Race...no wonder I can never find the new episodes of Sister Wives...LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I really felt sad for the older kids who had been told before Christmas that they WERE moving. I thought Janelle made a good point about Kody being excited to pick up stakes and move on, rather than seeing what happened before uprooting everyone.

I wonder if they are kind of sorry they went public since it caused so much turmoil, or if Kody and maybe a wife or two is happier to be on tv and make money in that way?

But I did feel for all of them and honestly, as long as they weren't taking resources not due them or defrauding in any way (and I don't get the idea that they were) then they should be left alone.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
I just this morning watched a video interview of Kody where he said they moved to avoid the bigamy charges. Now I can't find the darn thing! So they didn't leave for bigger and better things, they were running from the possibility of charges.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, that was clearly stated. They had history with Kristine's family where her father was jailed and all the moms split up, not even knowing where the others were... but on the shows last night Kody was very specific that they knew they were being investigated and knew that the results had been turned over to some agency, so they decided or he decided, actually, that they were leaving the state.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
ahh, I haven't seen the show lately. Just like me, a day late and a dollar short

Zgoodgirl

08-22-2003

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zgoodgirl a private message Print Post    
I really don't understand the reason why they would think moving out of state is going to make things go away. Isn't it illegal everywhere? Couldn't any state they move to start an investigation?

I hate the fact they told the kids before Christmas, plus used the scare tactic of splitting everyone up. And this day and age, if you want to be found, you can be found. Unless the kids are handed over to the state, which I doubt that would happen, everyone would be able to find each other.

I guess I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that they will give up their home, their jobs, their friends, and uproot the kids in fear of something that can happen anywhere they go.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm with yah, there, Zgoodgirl ~ Isn't it illegal everywhere?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I suspect that Utah may have more specific laws since Utah was the center of polygamy before it was outlawed by the LDS church.

It could be that Utah won't care as long as someone isn't practicing polygamy in Utah?

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
Anyone know when replays will run of the last cpl shows? I've missed everything starting with the Meri medical ep until now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We have the trip to Lake Las Vegas with one wife and one episode about Meri's colon scare ON Demand and then on the 15th four new episodes.. but the last couple aren't showing for the next 6.5 days, anyway.

Kep421

08-11-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 4:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
I'm not sure bigamy and polygamy are the same thing legally.

Bigamy is when you go through the legal process, getting a license, registering it, etc. to get married to more than one person.

Polygamy is "marrying" more than one person, but only one is done though the legal process. The subsequent marriages are more spiritual and are only recorded in the polygamist church. I'm not sure polygamy is even illegal, I've only heard it was outlawed by the mormon church. I've never heard of a statute against polygamy.

The only way I believe the state could "prove" bigamy in a polygamous marriage would be to consider the subsequent wives as common law. Not all states feel the need to prosecute polygamous marriages as long as the state/federal laws are not being violated as in some of the wives collecting welfare, or minor children being neglected, or young girls being forced into marriage etc.

Personally I think the investigation was for appearances and to drive Kody's family from the state. Some public officials do not want their constituencies to be linked or associated with polygamy in any way.

I say to each his own. If it makes you happy and doesn't break any legal laws, go for it. They certainly seem happy and the kids appear well adjusted. No one is being forced into a life they didn't choose. I've known many monogamous relationships that were no where near the cooperative, loving, happiness that Kody and his family share.

Erniesgirl

06-26-2006

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 7:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Erniesgirl a private message Print Post    
I was quite taken with watching the wives in some of the interviews it is very, very obvious that Janelle has been on a serious crying jag. Poor dear.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
She was looking a little haggard in a couple of the interviews. I actually backed up my DVR a couple of times, cause I noticed that in some interviews she was wearing makeup and in others, her eyes looked swollen, red and devoid of makeup. She did look unhappy.

I do feel bad for them having to uproot all those kids and leave their comfy home, but they kind of brought it on themselves when they decided to go public. I really can't see that they're hurting anyone, though. As long as there's no welfare fraud or abuse/neglect of either the children or the adult wives, I don't see the problem. They seem very happy.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
If you want to see how good these wives have it, I suggest you read "Shattered Dreams!" Now that is a story and a half -

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Ive missed the last 2 episodes.It sort of always looks like Janelle is crying,I just thought she had allegies.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I don't think that anything that they are doing is illegal so I don't understand the move. Like Kep said, they are not getting legal marriage licenses for each wife and none of the non-licensed wives are collecting welfare, so they are no different than people that choose to live together instead of marry except that they had a religious ceremony and have made that same commitment to each other that married folks make.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't think you can equate these wives to those in the books about coerced situations where there are child brides, or wives reassigned or wives who are not allowed to take their children if they leave, or children not allowed to have education, boys kicked out, literally, so they won't be competing with the older men for assignment of the young girls.

The books should be read to know about those situations, absolutely. But I see nothing about this family, no matter how creepy Kody makes me feel as he revels in being the "leader" and makes these choices.

Googling says that polygamy is illegal in all states but, I'm not sure of the sources I found and not interested enough to verify.

Bigamy is for sure a different thing to what we are seeing here.

It sounded like, at least to begin with, each wife may have a different home, because they didn't find "polygamous homes" available in Nevada near Vegas.

Of course there ARE such homes and some are in Nevada but those are mostly in communities much more like those described in Under the Banner of Heaven which was actually researched and not a memoir.. not that this makes it better, but it tells the story in a broader sense.. and that reaches from Canada through the US to Mexico and perhaps on south.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I 100% agree with you, Sea. I don't think that the Browns are really doing anything illegal. I think the investigation should show that the children are all cared for and happy, going to school. No one is being coerced or applying for welfare (I hope), and there are no child brides. I would think the investigation would clear them of any wrong-doing. But given their family history, they were just too afraid to risk the family being split up. Maybe the State of Utah will clear them and allow them to return to their home. I feel bad for them having to leave their home, but they knew going in it would be risky to expose their lifestyle to the world. I just hope TLC is making it monetarily worth their while.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
IMO.....TLC IS their main source of income at this time. Heck, they've become reality stars! IMO, none of them seem offended when the pmt cks roll in from TLC! They live an upper middle clase lifestyle.......& this makes them happy! I worry about Janelle the most because she is a successful business woman that has put alot into getting where she is in the bus. world. I hope that she can adjust.

I would never live their chosen life style....but, if I did, I would be more like Janelle than any of the other wives.

why: I am a business woman & I admire Janelle. I would respect someone like Christine for helping me raise my children at the same time she is one of my best friends. I would respect Meri for being the one that holds the whole life style together for everyone. I would be uncomfortable with Robin & what I would feel has been an intrusion on "my" family!

Janelle is my fav!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Ready - I hope - to start reading "Under the Banner of Heaven." When I was selling this book to a young man at our local library book sale a couple of weeks ago, he mentioned what a meticulous researcher the author is. So I am anxious to get started on it -