TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 12, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Special Forces (on Fox): Archive through January 12, 2023 users admin

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I just dont like watching people suffer. I couldnt make it past the first 30 min

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well, Kenya was following what most self defense teachers teach in self defense classes for women and for seniors (those being the only ones I have attended)..

It was kind of amusing that the instructors were taken by surprise. All rough and tough but then they had restrictions on the fighting.. Hmm.

Pamy, I certainly understand and I did fast forward through some parts and am not sure how long I will be watching. However, I haven't removed it from the schedule.

It was such a contrast to Tough as Nails.. the show itself and the interview with Phil about how he feels about the people and the show. People being challenged but more positive.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Pamy, I didn't like those parts either, but I did find the one-to-one convos pretty fascinating. Helping people understand their weaknesses and how to challenge themselves... but it was done with kindness. It's such a contrast!

Seamonkey, I took a Model Mugging class back in my 20s that was similar... guy was well padded. Interestingly most of had to learn how to put full force behind our blows, we were too timid. And they explained that the gent in pads was "double cupped" and padded in that area, so there was no need for us to do that.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
My first self defense class was when I was training to be a rape crisis advocate (hotline, accompany to rape exams, support groups). We held these trainings for our clients, but it was mandatory for us. It was for women and the instructors were caring and encouraging, but also practical, as in if you can get away, do that rather than relying on aggression or escape tricks. Yell loudly (not easy for many of us), yell FIRE to get attention, rather than HELP. Women have more lower body strength , so kicking can be good, Go for vulnerable spots, groin, eyes, nose, etc.

I was deep in therapy at that time and this was quite triggering and I also had a difficult time being forceful.

The last class I attended was at a senior center, men and women, the room was full, every seat taken and people standing around the walls. More of a lecture and due to the number of people, not much practice, but they came around to allow each person to punch and vocalize and I found that I now have more voice and power.

Yes there was some kindness, but only after the person was dragged out, hooded, not very carefully guided, then faced with two men. That would be hard for me to trust. I would consider that they wanted to know vulnerabilities to use later in non supportive ways.

I would have lost any potential trust after the yelling and statements that basically if you die, it is on you.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
FWIW, I suspect that what we see on the program is not what they actually experience. For example, I noticed when they pulled one of the hoods off, it gapped open, and there appeared to be an area that you could see thru. Not sure if they were all like that.

So, I'm pretty suspicious, that in spite of all the drama, they did soften this somewhat for the celebs. In fact, not one of them objected to the hoods or seemed surprised by them, so they most certainly were briefed about them at a minimum.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Too cowed to object by then, the whole hood use is a very bad look, for me.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I actually noticed the hood gap too. Seemed that most were perhaps more worried about how their hair looked lol I think they thought they were gonna be lambasted and were surprised to be getting an attaboy.

We need to keep in mind. These are celebrities. They signed up for it. They can leave any time they want. It's free promotion for them, for some to maybe become more relevant. And even though they are not playing for a pot of prize money...they are still being paid to appear on the show.

I think everyone is getting something personal from it at the very least. So all said, Nothing that they do really bothers me. It's not real

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I'm not sure you can say for sure if they were too cowed to object? We don't really know what information they were given before participating?

I'm not fond of the hood either, but it IS a legitimate training tool done in all special forces training. Because if you get captured, you'll likely be hooded and you don't want to panic.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Well if they're too scared to object that's their problem, right? I'm pretty sure... That's part of what this whole training is about.

I haven't read enough of the interviews to know what everyone knew ahead of time. But I'm guessing that it was pretty much laid out for them. I'm thinking legally and contractually there couldn't have been a whole lot of surprises

I do remember some saying they had underestimated. I'm thinking that they thought since they were celebrities that certainly they weren't going to go that hard on them?

It is special forces training...lead by special forces navy seals. Most of it is mental. I'll bet the ones that make it to the end are going to be glad they stuck it out. In fact Kenya said that being on housewives was more mentally tough on her than being on the show lol

Mel B, because she has been devoid of any kind of celeb arrogance... Seems to have garnered the respect of the staff.

Tyler Florence is already getting hammered on social media for quiting in the fashion that he did. The show is 10 days long...so we will see.

What I do like about this show is not only that it does not have a monetary prize at the end. There also is no "winner". The win is to make it to the end. It's a personal win

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I like that it’s personal growth as the win. And being a team.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, you can truly say if you make it to the end you made it not because of a money incentive. There could have been as many winners as contestants. No one is eliminated. You can limp to the end, fail tasks, it doesn't matter. All you have to do, is not quit.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 07, 2023 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
No, but so cam say that some looked quite cowed and subdued.

They saw how the chef was punished for daring to celebrate his successful fall into the ocean with the wrong person, "staff".

And how all were punished for those who didn't keep a full canteen.

Maybe there will be a time when they stand up for self.

Yes, Beverly moved up in line, as she wad encouraged to do, still looking cowed.

Yes, I get why special forces would be trained to endure being hooded. I just don't relish seeing that.

I know the whole break them down to build them up routine, but I am not sure that works for everyone.

The chef.. Guess he quit while he was ahead and now is suffering the wrath of social media, which can also be toxic.

They might have thought it was like Celebrity Big Brother is Big Brother Light compared to regular.

This is light compared yo the real thing, but on another level.

The no money prize is a good thing. I agree.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 08, 2023 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, in domestic life, standing up for self is a good thing. However, in military life it is limited. You have to learn to follow orders and respect rank. That's important in dangerous situations.

If you think the lesson about not keeping a full canteen or chastising Florence for his celebration were rough, you should see REAL military training. This was nothing compared to that.

Teaching self discipline is tough in the military, but it is life preserving. That said, I could never do it, but that's what they signed up for.

I agree that Florence is taking it on the chin on social media, but we all know how toxic social media can be. And it was unfortunate that they were able to show him bragging about how tough he was, not long before he quit for a pretty lame reason.

Hopefully he will have gained something from this, as that seems to be the point of the exercise. Maybe a lot more humility and at least a little more honesty.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, January 08, 2023 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I was wondering how long it would take...for Britney Spears to comment on her sister Jamie saying how tough it was to have Britney as a sister lol
And she is indeed "giving it to her"

Hannah said one of the hardest parts about it was "Dwight was a fart machine" and he slept across from her in a tent that was 108 degrees..."It was a lot"

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 08, 2023 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Those were definitely close quarters.

Yes, in the military they sign up for quite a lot and many who sign up have been recruited and often at a young age. And some come out forever changed due to PTSD. and not every case of PTSD comes from active combat. And discipline is needed.

It doesn't make for entertainment, though (for me, not saying my definition of entertainment is THE definition. I don't get joy watching sports that feature threats to life and limb, either.

This show was recording last night, but it was just a repeat of the first episode. Smart on their part, since some people probably just heard about this show after discussion started (and the social media bashing, I gather)

We do know that edits can make or break people on these reality shows.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 08, 2023 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I agree, I'm not fond of the humiliation type stuff, but I understand it's use in this context. I don't find that part entertaining either, just interesting in how it works (or doesn't).

I do like watching the physical challenges, but not necessarily the ones where they get hurt. But it's much like MTV The Challenge. In fact, I think they did that exact same helicopter drop into water on the MTV show.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 08, 2023 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I stopped watching the Challenge so long ago.. the first years it featured people I was familiar with from Real World and Road Rules but it got less and less fun to watch and I remember when Ruthie first went on the Challenge and people were mean and she wasn't and I just dropped out for so long. Did watch the Derek X season but found that I just didn't like most of the people and the cliques, so it is something I can skip. (I agree that some of the challenges are interesting or impressive.. my back and knees hurt just watching them!)

There are so many shows and so little time.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 08, 2023 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've seen interviews with Jamie Lynn Spears. i think she also wrote a book.. kind of a la Prince Harry.. so she probably isn't Brittny's favorite.

has anyone emerged trying to discredit Mel B about the abusive relationship she is speaking about? I hope not.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, January 09, 2023 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I have not read one negative comment about Mel B so far. The only thing she complained about while she was on the show was that she was traumatized about the the amount of white penises she had to see.....Everyone seems to like and respect her. Staff and costars alike

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 09, 2023 - 10:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Based on the first show, I sure wouldn't think of any complaints about Mel B (lol, not that I need to hear about penises in general).. I just wondered if her abusive partner was a known thing or if that person would be complaining, but she certainly has a right to talk about it and I hope this was really helpful.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 12, 2023 - 12:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well that was a bit disappointing Episode 3 (I guess we saw 1 and 2 the first week?) and people within the group getting more snarky (especially the Gus Kenworthy skiier and the former soccer player. (I think it was her)

Jamie Lynn Spears left at the beginning of the episode.

Nastia did the underwater task with some support and that seemed to piss off at least two of them, especially since one had not passed and Nastia did.

And bummed that Mel B left and also that she smuggled in cigarettes that weren't allowed and then subjected the others and when they (Kenya) complained she quit. She seemed to be doing so well.

So they are down to 9.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/special-forces-worlds-toughest-tests-latest-episode-lost-even-more-celebrities-and-there-was-some-major-tension

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, January 12, 2023 - 12:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, bye bye Jamie Lynn! Using her kids as an excuse to quit. She has one teenager and one preschooler. She has a husband and mom and dad. It's 10 days. Kenya has a 4 year old no parents and no husband to rely on. I'm sure she misses her kid too.

Nastia seemed doomed for a while now. Interesting that what made her quit was the opinions of others...and self doubt.

I was floored that Mel quit. I really thought she had it in her to stay. It was so sudden. I bet she was kicking herself in the butt for giving up.

Did anyone else notice the black hood... when they put it on Mel's head...you could totally see right through it. It was a loose weave...looser than a one layer of cheesecloth. They did put goggles on Gus...he must have pissed them off lol

There are 2 more of them I'm not quite sure about, they might quit. The rest, I see making it to the end. Barring any injuries

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, January 12, 2023 - 4:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I will never question wanting to be kids. As someone who understands firsthand the idea of stepping away "to be with family", I will never see those reasons as just an "excuse". It doesn't matter how much support you might have, we never know the dynamics or the needs. Jamie Lynn could have made it, just like Nastia and Mel, but they each had triggers that outweighed the ability to stay. Disappointing for the viewers, MAYBE disappointing for them in hindsight, but I understand those decisions in the moment.

(also it was SO much easier being away from my son for a few days when he was 3-4 years old then now as an almost teenager - needs are vastly different)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, January 12, 2023 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
But why sign up for it then? As an actor/singer she has most likely been away from her child for a week at some point for work? I'm not saying she didn't miss her kids, but I am saying that I think she used it as a cover...because it was too tough for her. The whole show is about mental fortitude and believing in yourself. She just didn't have it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 12, 2023 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It was kind of a slow episode, really, compared to the pilot.

They said Nastia took almost an hour to do the task, and so the others needed to pee, and got cold, etc, while she got extra support to get thru it.

On the other hand, part of the point of this is being able to accept what isn't fair. Just stay on your own track and stop fussing about what others are or are not getting or doing.