TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 06, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Special Forces (on Fox): Archive through January 06, 2023 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Starting thread.. will move posts from general discussion.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, January 04, 2023 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
And new one Special Forces on Fox

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, January 04, 2023 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Oh....and it's gooood!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven’t seen it yet but if Special Forces is good maybe someone would like to start a separate thread for it?

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Special Forces is great! It's going to be a favorite of mine. What is strange, is that the original cast that they put out was missing a few people. I'm wondering if some pulled out at last minute and the others were alternates?

You have to wonder if some of the celebs entirely understood the show they were going to be on? You will see what I mean when you watch it lol

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
So happy Kate was first one out of special forces.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Who was missing? I couldn’t find the original cast online.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I understand Kate had a neck fracture as a result of her appearance on Special Forces.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Yes. She injured her neck falling the wrong way in the water. I WISH she didn’t get injured. Never want anyone hurt. Still happy she is gone though. Four didn’t last the first episode.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Any number I'd rather not see, but it was worth watching.

Kate Gosselin didn't stay perfectly straight when diving backwards from a helicopter (no shade on her.. I have no idea if I could do it) and hurt her neck and they determined that she fractured it. As Legal said, don't want anyone hurt, but not mad that she is gone.

Drew Pinsky became dehydrated the second day and got worse and they said if they hydrated him, he'd be out but he felt so terrible, looked bad, too, so he was second out.

The third out, quit and I cannot remember who he was.

Some I don't know, others am familiar.

jamie Lynn Spears, Hannah Brown from Bachelor, Mel B, gymnast Nastia Leukin, Scaramucci, a chef, ..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22003362/

Beverly Mitchell from Seventh Heaven

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Special Forces: World's Toughest Test (2023)

16 celebrity contestants battle through a set of emulated special forces training challenges, they are removed from society and the staff sergeants control everything within the camp.

Stars
Beverley Mitchell 7th Heaven

Jamie Lynn Spears

Kenya Moore real housewife

Hannah Brown Bachelorette

Kate Gosselin Kate plus 8

Gus Kenworthy

Mel B, Spice Girl

Nastia Liukin Olympic gymnast

Remi Adeleke

Drew Pinsky Dr Drew

Carli Lloyd

Anthony Scaramucci

Montell Jordan chef

Danny Amendola R&B star

Mike Piazza

Jason Fox

Dwight Howard

Mark Billingham

ETA: Tyler Florence, chef

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 05, 2023 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://people.com/tv/special-forces-worlds-toughest-test-premiere-recap-4-recruits-go-home/

From above link

The cast includes Danny Amendola (former NFL star), Melanie "Mel B" Brown (Spice Girls), Hannah Brown (The Bachelorette), Tyler Florence (celebrity chef), Kate Gosselin (Jon & Kate Plus 8), Dwight Howard (NBA star), Montell Jordan (R&B star), Gus Kenworthy (Olympic skier), Nastia Liukin (Olympic gymnast), Carli Lloyd (former soccer player), Beverley Mitchell (7th Heaven), Kenya Moore (Real Housewives of Atlanta), Mike Piazza (former MLB star), Dr. Drew Pinsky (Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew), Anthony Scaramucci (former Trump White House Communications Director) and Jamie Lynn Spears (Zoey 101).

This has info on the first episode.

Tyler Florence is the celebrity chef and he voluntarily quit.

R&B star Montell Jordan was medically removed after he broke a thumb.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 3:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I have mixed feelings about Beverley Mitchell... ONLY saw her on 7th Heaven and she definitely was one of the core characters on that show... I liked her character although in the bigger picture not sure I like the show now as much as I did when watching it in real time. So I do see this as some kind of way to be back on TV for her again. I also totally see her as the producers underdog/hero storyline - smallest, lack self worth but doesnt give up.

That said, this is NO joke given the injuries already going on. Not surprised Tyler Florence voluntarily withdrew - if TJ Lavin was there he would had ripped him a new one on the way out for quitting. I just wish Tyler had tried the activity - its clear they wouldnt have gotten physically hurt with that one, so that was a poor excuse that he promised his wife he wouldnt get hurt. If he was mentally not ready, just say that.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The third out was Tyler Florence, from the Food Network. He's a tv chef, and is on many shows including the Great Food Truck Race.

The fourth out was Montel Jordan with a broken thumb. But I believe he's a singer-songrwiter, not a chef. Florence was the chef.

Seamonkey, I don't think your first list is quite correct, for that reason, and because Tyler Florence isn't listed? The second one looks accurate.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Updated after show #1.

Danny Amendola (former NFL star)
Melanie "Mel B" Brown (Spice Girls)
Hannah Brown (The Bachelorette)
Tyler Florence (celebrity chef) - third out, first to voluntary quit
Kate Gosselin (Jon & Kate Plus 8) - first out with injured neck)
Dwight Howard (NBA star)
Montell Jordan (R&B star) - 4th out with broken thumb
Gus Kenworthy (Olympic skier)
Nastia Liukin (Olympic gymnast)
Carli Lloyd (former soccer player)
Beverley Mitchell (7th Heaven)
Kenya Moore (Real Housewives of Atlanta)
Mike Piazza (former MLB star)
Dr. Drew Pinsky (Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew) - 2nd out with dehydration, heat exhaustion
Anthony Scaramucci (former Trump White House Communications Director)
Jamie Lynn Spears (Zoey 101).

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Reports are that Kate did not break her neck. That there wasn't a fracture but she was "injured". Either way, having to go to the hospital to get checked out removes her from the game. I too am glad she's no badly injured, but glad she is first one out.

The putting the bags over their heads freaks me out a bit. Seems so hostage like. I don't like the dehumanization aspects of this kind of training. But I am intrigued enough to keep tuning in.

And agree it was odd that guy tapped out because he promised his wife he wouldn't get injured. You fall out of a helecopter, but you won't walk a tightrope while harnessed? I think he just realized this wasn't the show for him.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think he said he couldn't get injured *today* because it was his wife's birthday... but still... he quit because he just didn't want to do it.

Yeah, I'm not impressed by the dehumanization stuff other. I do think their gentleness in the one-on-one meetings is probably not typical of special forces training. So they are making some concessions.

That's some pretty raw stuff these folks are confessing tho.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The first list was those I actually remembered by name after watching the show, then I found websites to post. Tyler might have been cut out by accident..

I don't enjoy the dehumanization at all. I get why someone actually training for special forces must be able to endure this treatment and more, but not for entertainment purposes.

Considering that they probably had no idea (no matter how many waivers they had to sign) just how dangerous this could be, I can understand why some would quit, though they risk looking bad or being belittled. Not that I would sign up, but if I was somehow in that place and then saw the tasks, I would need to withdraw to avoid more injury to my back, knee, etc.

I wonder how well they were vetted physically.. And mentally it seems like some were being exploited for very personal stories. I can only imagine that they didn't expect to have video used from when they were being medically evaluated. Was there any value to us seeing that Kate and Drew looked not so in shape? Granted, most of us would look out of shape as well, but there just didn't seem to be a good reason for that footage.

I would hope that psych support was made available after the filming, because just doing this show may have some value, but is likely to bring up more issues that need processing.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Luckily the injuries were not as severe as suspected.

Kate: 'Its is muscle. I do tend to carry stress in my neck and shoulders. So I do think that that probably was a factor in it, then hitting it smack dab on the water.' So she strained a muscle from stress lol

Montell tore ligaments but did not need surgery fortunately. He said he is already 80% better. I did not know he is 54 years old!

Isn't it wild that some of the girls, that aren't even athletes, are doing so well?

I was cracking up both when Kenya was running out full blast to tackle the "red man", thinking she is going to do some damage! As opposed to Jamie Lynn cowering.. "Am I supposed to HIT him??" I was surprised at those that were afraid to "hit somebody". I mean the guy is covered in body protection.

Drew quickly got dehydrated and had heat exhaustion, even though he seems to be in decent shape. He was the oldest at 63.

Actually the amount of 50 plus year olds on this show is pretty amazing

It seems Tyler being a celebrity chef, suffered a bit of a blow to his ego when he attempted a fist bump a navy seal and got a bear crawl as punishment. You could see it in his eyes. Funny he should quit before trying to even attempt the rope pull across the canyon, saying he promised his wife not to hurt himself on her birthday. Especially because, out of all the tasks they have had so far...THIS was only one that you couldn't hurt yourself on. If they fell they had a safety harness.

I think my worst fear personally would have been the same as Mel....having to poop out in the open in a stall separated by only a 3 foot vertical partition in-between me and the person sitting right next to me on the toilet. I would have to go in the middle of the night when no one else was there...or hold it for 10 days lol

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, funny about Drew because I heard him asking others if they'd had enough water at some earlier point in the show. And apparently he didn't follow his own advise? Or maybe just had less ability to tolerate the heat, even if hydrated.

I wonder if the smaller women did better on the rope challenge because of their lack of height and weight? It's so much harder for us tall folks to balance because our center of gravity is so much higher.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The rope course definitely looked harder for the tallest guys, but the really short people had to reach up more..

I think it wasn't optimal for anyone.

Bigger feet might be some advantage.

Falling wasn't without risk of hurting the back, but a bad back/spine should at least brought a warning,

The padded guy wasn't as protected as he might be in the lower body. One of the women did go for the groin and got a bit of a reprimand, but self defense classes teach you to target that area.

Drew should know about hydration, but maybe he just wasn't prepared for the level of activity..

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think smaller feet would be more of an advantage in that kind of balancing/sliding along the rope. But then again, I've only done it once and that was a long time ago. And uh, we weren't up that high!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yes, lol that was Kenya that went for the testicles from underneath in between the legs when the red man was on the ground. I'm not saying she did it intentionally... But starting with the leg kick to the side of his thigh when she came running out... It seemed like she was hitting him wherever he wasn't padded. But he is a navy seal red man so I'm sure he has had worse lol

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, January 06, 2023 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
The standing Navy Seal overseeing the task did yell, NOT THERE! Ha!