TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 29, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Alone - on the History Channel: Archive through July 29, 2019 users admin

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
there was more interesting posts out there
the weather was brutal and still people did not tap

here is the post of a support guy who was there. it is long so let me just post the link
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ALONE.Series/permalink/2227507670659715/

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Turns out there was only the first episode on demand, and I was hoping for a mini-binge.

Bad injury!

The big fish was a good catch.

Not bringing a fire starter was a bad call.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yes, Karuuna, I agree about the exit interviews! Maybe they'll go into that on the aftershow.

Thanks for posting those links, Sadiesmom! I love the behind-the-scenes stories! I was wondering where the crew stayed. Doesn't sound like very luxurious quarters. -20 inside the cabin with 3 heaters going! Yikes!!!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
more behind the scenes stuff from Dave Macintyre and Callie from Reddit

DaveMcIntyre
Season 2
21 points
·
1 day ago
On S2 the medical kit looked about half that size. It was well stocked though. Our kit could have handled that cut. Nicole sliced a knuckle bad but they never showed it. We didn't have Dermabond but could have made butterflies, plenty of antiseptic. I don't recall if they would restock the kit if we used something up. There was a little plastic tube with a few Motrin (6?). I used them in week 9 because my shoulder/neck was keeping me up at night. They told us there would be no restock on them, but not sure about gauze and such.

musicandmoss
Season 3
22 points
·
1 day ago
I had a very small first aid kit in Patagonia and absolutely no refills, period. They made a big deal about not refilling (as did I because they didn't tell us no refills until I was out of bandaids in very short order). I think I had a total of like 8 basic bandaids. I had a couple gauze pads which I reused countless time while poulticing.

-Callie

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Ha ha, Dave got upset when someone suggested they get help with food and other things when the camera is off.
I am going to bring his quote, if it is too much I can just link to them, please let me know if it is OK to bring the quotes.

DaveMcIntyre
Season 2
7 points
·
4 days ago

Absofrikingloutely not. Does not happen, not ever, they don't even answer questions we have about the environment. There are no backrubs and BBQ on the beach with the cameras turned off. Good night, even the media/medical visits are awkwarldly cold and impersonal. Nope, Nope, nope and all my nopes. You are freakishly on your own on Alone. If you doubt this don't try out for the show.

another comment another reply
DaveMcIntyre
Season 2
3 points
·
4 days ago
No offense taken. It really rattles my cage when we get lumped in with other shows that are not as serious as Alone. Whatever liberties they may take in the editing of the show, the raw product we delivered to them was 100% solo survival. The only advantage we had was knowing rescue was a phone call away. Aside from that what you see is 100% what we did on our own with no advantages given off camera.

As an example, the day I won, when they show up, suddenly you are a part of their TV show. To this point it has been your TV show, now suddenly they are being cameramen and producers again. We need this, we need that, etc. After a while of this I went on strike... "You guys did bring me food... RIGHT?!!! Tell me you have some food for me!" (Radio crackle) "Do you have any food on the boat... bring the boat in and give David some food..." (Crackle) "...We have a roast beef sandwich and some chips, but that's about it..."

Me - "I'll take it! Nothing more happens here until I eat something."

and someone found base camp here looks nice.
Great Slave Lake Plummer lodge

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
It may look nice in the summer, but I read that it got down to -20* inside the base camp with 3 heaters going! Yikes!!! The crew didn't exactly have it easy either. But at least they had food.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 23, 2019 - 7:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Donny posted on the Alone on History Facebook page to explain his illness:

Donny Dust Greetings all and thanks for the patience as I am currently on location taking part in the production of a feature film.

All great questions and I appreciate all your kinds words. My adventure was cut short and I am deeply sorry to have disappointed sons of you.

I am doing perfectly fine...no issues.

Bottom line. My muskrat was cooked through and through. I have eaten all manner of critters and inspection of the animal and cooking it properly is must do...and I did just that.

I actually was sick three days before launch at the orientation camp. At first I thought it was nerves, but quickly realized it was a GI related issue. I treated it with yarrow and it subsided.

After launch day with no food and decreased wAter intake my symptoms sparked backed up. I searched and searched for yarrow and my location was void of it all. I tried alternate plants, but nothing helped. From this point I quickly became sicker and sicker until I knew I was quickly going down hill. When I took the muskrat and consumed him my body could not handle the sudden I take of proteins, fats and nutrients. I just could not recover.

It was a horrible situation. I spent several days in recover, on a feeding plan, to regain weight.

I would go on the show again as I have much to share and am open to all and any opportunities.

https://www.facebook.com/Alone/posts/2111985765765483:0

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, June 23, 2019 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
A lot of people were talking about his muskrat being red, but I find colors deceptive on TV. I don't really know. I would not have eaten those fish eggs raw though, especially after seeing all the worms in the other fish (which I think he did not). Apparently there are more diseases in fresh water fish than salt water.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 23, 2019 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yeah, the guy who ate the fish eggs admitted he messed up. But luckily he recovered.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 29, 2019 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
finally caught the show. the fire not impressive. wonder if there was a second one? the ceiling seemed low for an uncapped fire. guess not enough time to build a chimney.
good that people are catching game. wonder if
Justin waited too long to give up on fishing.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 30, 2019 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Ray's exit post on the Alone Facebook page:

Ray Livingston - Alone is with Ray Livingston.
5 hrs ·

Thank you all for your love and support!

The Alone Production team is pretty awesome! I love and appreciate all those people a great deal! Do remember that they assess the sites around June, they do the best they can, but a lot changes between June and September, that is simply the nature of nature!

By all the sites are “even” they mean they all have the elements for survival, though they may not all have the SAME elements at every location. We knew that going in.

The truth of the matter is that there were still fish in that lake... Lots of giant fish actually!!! I just couldn’t figure out how to get them on the bank. So, the elements were there, fat and protein were just out of my reach. I tried a lot of different things, to little avail to land fish though, i fished almost every day i was out there.

I learned more about the fish and fishing there, soon after I came out of the field and before I headed home. With that new information, I think I might have done better fishing, but who knows.

Production held up their end of the deal, I held up mine. Of course I wished I had been able to stay longer, but that is what the universe / fates had in store. I accept that and hold no hard feelings about anything on my alone experience, what so ever!

It was a wonderful blessing regardless of the outcome. I’m a better person for it and in one way or another it has certainly changed the course of my life.

I’m eternally grateful for the experience and for for the outpouring of support from all of you! I’m just me, living my life, doing what I do. I’m humbled and honored by all of you wonderful people’s comments! Thank you!!!

https://www.facebook.com/raylivingston503/posts/388662225338565

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, June 30, 2019 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
sorry Ray not Justin, still learning names.

I remember when Dave (season 2 winner?) started he had trouble fishing,but then he discovered his spot. It was not as cold there,and he stood and fished every day,but he said he had food left over when they came, he still asked for food from the crew when they got him, I think that crew had chicken soup for people, Roast beef sandwiches does not sound as healthy for a starving person.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
looks like the fire comes again next week. 2 fires I think it is the same person.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It looked like the same person.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have to say, I almost stopped watching as that poor moose died a long, lingering, 3 hour death.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, July 19, 2019 - 10:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
wow, the guys are just dropping like flies.
Personally the bunnies are so cute, it is a real shame, but I am glad that one woman made use of the fur.

Not sure about the guy trying to bag a bear, that could be nasty.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 19, 2019 - 10:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But the puppet show, hmm.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 1:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
heh heh yes the puppet show sort of bothered me.

interview with producer
Real Life in Reality TV

alone specific quote the rest about other shows

There’s not a single project I’ve worked on that I’m more proud of than Alone. A coworker and I were huge fans of survival-based programming, and back in November of 2013 there was a big push from the networks to come up with a format that would redefine the space. Shows like Naked & Afraid were perceived to be both overly produced and exploitative so we were tasked to come up with something more authentic and unproduced. While researching ideas, we found an Internet video of a man who’d gone a little nuts after challenging himself to spend a couple months alone in the wilderness. He documented the whole experience himself and after 40-plus days he was so emotionally drained that he couldn’t look at a plate of cheese or a fire extinguisher without crying. My coworker and I brought this video to a brainstorm session and discussed with the group how we thought we could turn this into a human experiment by tasking the nation’s best wilderness self-reliance experts to self-document their own personal journeys as they attempted to survive in the wild, alone, for up to a year. It took almost a full year of creative development, casting, location scouting, safety research and rules writing to create what aired in 2015, but it was the single most creatively rewarding and emotionally satisfying project I’ve ever been a part of. I don’t typically push my projects on people, but if you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it. You’ll learn something about surviving in the wilderness, but more importantly, you’ll learn something about yourself.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
This season is definitely more gruesome than previous seasons.

I too felt so sad that moose suffered for 3 hours. I cried when it stood up on last time before it died.

Seems bunnies and fish are in abundance for some here. The puppet show, omg, I had mixed feelings. On one hand I admired how well intact it was, it was quite cute when I'm not thinking it is real. LOL I mean I guess people taxidermy animals? She did eat it. I dunno. As I said I have mixed feelings.

The fire this week, she had just done her manicure and then the fire and she showed her burned hands after. Poor woman. I hope her shelter holds out better this time.

The other woman who added a second wall to her shelter with greens, it looked really good and secure. The guy who was listening to the bear, his shelter didn't seem that secure.

The guy who tapped out this week, he easily could have won if he stuck it out. He was all set up, nice shelter, food, it actually looked liveable. However that said, the missing his family and boredom set in. Plus he said he really didn't need the money 'that' much.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
She has set her shelter on fire twice now. She needs to either keep her fires lower, or make her chimney out of stone. I hope she figures that out.

Surprised that Brady tapped out. Sometimes it seems like the ones who are doing the best are the ones that leave. He had a great shelter, and food, and too much time to think about home.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I am on Reddit now,

From Nikki about this show
I certainly was a total accident prone disaster out there...it was literally one moment I was sitting fat roasting a hare and the next moment...surprise surprise...injury. Total head shaker...and then the shelter igniting like a tinder bundle...truly a episode. hahaha I had a sweet moon roof that night! I was worried the surrounding trees were going to catch on fire and they would pull me for burning down the forest! I'll make a post about it, I know a bunch of people are wondering how the heck i could have done the dumbest thing a survivalist could do. But I guess, first for everything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alonetv/comments/ceu0td/spoiler_alone_s6e6_discussion_thread_episode/eua5cao?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

this must be the guy who baited the bear
RedSnowBird
3 points
·
1 day ago
Shooting a bear with an arrow seems like he might earn

level 4
UPNATEM78
Season 6 Participant
1 day ago
edited 1 day ago
It’s...how we had...to hunt big game. 😶 should I have used a sharpened stick? Lol are you really scared of being eaten when in the backcountry? Lol

level 3
ALoudMeow
1 day ago
I might bait it to not too far away, but certainly not into my own camp! If the baiting worked, it could have easily mauled you in your sleep.
level 4
UPNATEM78
Season 6 Participant
16 hours ago
I slept with an arrow knocked and all the other systems in place (ie bear spray, bear banger). I felt the odds were in my favor.
level 4
UPNATEM78
Season 6 Participant
16 hours ago
I want to make sure I’m hearing you right. Your plan is to sit in the freezing cold all day and night in hopes a bear comes to your gut pile. No water gathering, wood gathering, shelter advancements, tending to medical issues or eating. Just sitting. Ok. Well, good luck with that.

from brady about dropping out
Brady_Nicholls
Season 6 Participant
10 points
·
1 day ago
The part that you cant see on tv is the depression. For me it was overpowering at times. It stayed with me for some time when I cam home.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alonetv/comments/ceu0td/spoiler_alone_s6e6_discussion_thread_episode/eu8beot?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

here Jordan talks in detail of the stalking and killing of the moose, link

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Nikki on Facebook:

Nikki van Schyndel
18 mins

Figured it was time to help pause our head-shaking, wobbly bobble heads watching me with all the injuries and disasters that followed me around out there! Here's the insider scoop of the shelter burn down...

Because this year we were only given one tarp and it was smaller than ever before, I wanted a shelter design that would utilize it as much as possible. I chose a lean-to. I wanted a tiny, gnome home, to trap more heat, conserve energy and for the most part, my resources were more limited and spread out than I imagined with my rocky, scattered tree landscape. My place was super windy even with the location site I chose, hence I had to wall up the front. I thought about building another lean-to in front or a massive stacked wall, but I didn't want the snow blowing in from the top, so hence, the inward leaning poles. I did build it thinking like a spark. i lined everything with rocks and built a huge fireplace that encircled the front. It had a great draft system, no smoke and it reflected heat perfectly. I put large, flat rocks overhanging the pit to act as a spark arrester, it worked great, until that night! hahaha I was changing the boughs, scraping creosote, sweeping ash like a regular Mary Poppins, I think perhaps the dry air made the green boughs more sketchy than I've experienced before.

I had experimented with the different woods early on to discover the hottest wood, less ash, etc etc and it became very clear... burning tamarack was banned! It gave the hottest fire, but blew sparks like the 4th of july. That night, somehow a branch of tamarack made it into my wood stash and before I could pull it out of the fire, a spark made it through a tiny crack and whoosh...i was sitting in a burning tinder bundle.

Throwing that bloody water on did nothing but make a disgusting mess and I have no idea how I wasn't on fire myself. I was running around in wool socks on red hot coals, standing in flames, grabbing burning poles... All that went through my mind was "Don't let this fire make you tap out." Then I saw the camera had fallen down inside...

I actually went back into the burning shelter to set it up. Still can't believe i did that! I was like, dang...the camera...this will be the classic lame Alone footage of something that could have been awesome if I don't fix that.

I made a pact with myself before I left: I was going to film everything, try to make the best show I could for people, no matter the cost, no matter what anyone thought. Perhaps it's part of why I surprisingly became such a klutz out there. I highly doubt it was just a string of bad luck... i don't believe in bad luck...we create our own lives...even if we don't know the reasons why things happen... all i do know is I became a better, stronger and happier person because of all the mishaps I filmed. It gave me a whole new feeling of freedom.

It took a few days, but I built the shelter back up with more rocks...I loved the geometrical problem solving. I fit the upright logs with less gaps using two layers instead of one and opted not to chink. For me, i felt like that was a waste of time and effort, the drafty areas were blocked well enough. It was after all the arctic, its freakin cold no matter what. For me, the only place warm was sitting right next to the fire, a foot behind me was always like putting your hands in the refrigerator. Most days I thought my hands were going to stick to the tripod, like your tongue on a pole. I didn't spend time in my shelter during the day except to quickly warm fingers and toes, my motto basically became, "suck it up buttercup, it's not like you're going to be out here for a year or something, the network unfortunately won't let you stay that long." I figured I wasn't on the home and garden show anyway...no chance of a ribbon or front page spread for best looking shelter.

Though like all of you, I'm a huge fan of seeing people's creative shelter ideas, it's because it brings back such awesome memories of building forts as a kid! To the other participants...your shelter palaces ruled! I bow to you, tucked inside my shire shelter...I couldn't stand up in mine! hahaha I was like Gandalf crouching in Bilbo's house.

Huge thanks for all of you watching and cheering us on. As I've said before, it's in huge part because of all of you watching that I was able to have this amazing opportunity and come home with the best memories ever! Despite having to overcome the constant threats of an injury tap out, I had so much fun out there...Thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ALONE.Series/permalink/2316874565056358/

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Some of the shelters are pretty amazing.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, July 26, 2019 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
sooooo, 6 people left and half of them are women, don't think the one without food and with squirrel bite will last much longer. 3 women started 3 women still there are 40+ days.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Monday, July 29, 2019 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
which shelter? the one that the dummy set on fire twice? None of them have figure out that they can carry 4 gallons of water at a time, in the legs of the rainsuit pants. Keep the debris wetted down, children.