TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 15, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Alone - on the History Channel: Archive through June 15, 2019 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I am happy Sam won, though I liked Britt, too. Sam is so young and has two babies. I'm glad he was able to stick it out and provide for his family this way.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks for those videos, Sadiesmom! I especially enjoyed "first meals" and "Sam comes home." I wondered how they worked them back into eating again. You can't just sit down and eat when you've been starving for so long. You'll make yourself really, really sick. I loved watching them all with the chicken soup. It must have tasted like nectar of the gods after being so hungry for so long! Can't wait for the reunion show!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, August 27, 2018 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Got about halfway thru the after show (interviews with all the contestants) and realized I just don't care about most of them. For some reason I just didn't enjoy this season as much as I've enjoyed past seasons. I absolutely loved the Vancouver seasons, Patagonia was okay, but this season just didn't pull me in as much. Maybe because it was just so desolate and I didn't enjoyed watching them all starve to death.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, October 19, 2018 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
sorry I read about the next season of Alone but I cant' remember where, It is in the Canadian arctic circle and people will be more miserable and cold and hungry with even more limited resources, but Ha ha global warming can fool them, you never know.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
since you are restricted to a 5 mile square area and have to film everything, hunting is bound to be more calories burnt than gained, other than maybe sitting in a baited tree blind, as you make netting.

They had more of a chance in Mongolia than they've ever had, since they had a full month of warm weather, and the river was shallow, making for great returns with baited net weirs and a seine, all of which can be made out of stuff that you can take with you, like a 2 person cotton rope hammock, and half of the 20x20 tarp. They are just an ignorant, weak group. They had no need of more than a simple tarp shelter for the first month and were stupid to use up super valuable fish netting time making a cabin. The rivers freeze solid, so the fish soon are gone back to the lakes. So you simply MUST catch 600 lbs of fish in the first 6 weeks, or you'll do nothing but starve. NONE of them have more than cub scout levels of understanding of the pertinent issues. The producers make it impossible to last 4 months, and nearly so 3 months, and then pick the weakest-minded, most inept people that they can find. They want the show OVER with in 6 weeks or so, minimizing their expenses. As soon as they have enough video to make a dozen shows, they want their exposures ended.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
they could eat well enough, for the first 3 months, if they knew what to take and what to do, but they dont. In WW2, tens of millions of men were away from their families for four YEARS, and these cucks start crying in less than 4 weeks? Sheesh.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
the fact that some fool took a belt knife, saw and axe, instead of the far more useful Cold Steel shovel (modified to have 8" of saw edge) and the Crunch multi-tool, with its visegrip option, is just showing their lack of understanding of what all might be needed. Replace the SS serrated knife blade with a carbon steel regular blade. Replace
the phillips blade with another file blade, and sharpen that flathead end of that file blade to become a chisel. Alter the medium flathead to become a hook/scoop knife and alter the small flathead to be an awl,, with as slot for cordage. You gain one pick by using these 2 tools instead of the 3 that all the fools take. You can gain yet another pick by not wasting said pick on a ferror rod. Before you go, use iodine to heavily rust the outside of your shovel. That rust is a great accellerant for fire-rolling a chunk of your t-shirt. Bed your coals in ashes and dirt, with a primitive shelter over the fire (kept dampened) and you wont need to make more than half a dozen fires from scratch. So the ferrorod is a wasted pick. Once you have your first fire, you have charred punkwood and ashes, which make it easy to make fire with a McElroy type pumpdrill, or any had rock and any carbon steel tool, by fire-rolling, or with the extremely polished inside of your 5-qt skillet. By saving those two picks, you get to take the hammock and the vital big roll of duct tape.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Friday, December 14, 2018 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
having portable, watertight containers is essential for long term viability. First, you have to CATCH more food than you can eat, which takes a lot of doing, but then you have to be able to STORE that food, out of reach of insects, animals and rot. That is EXTREMELY difficult to acheive, short of a very high level of ability to produce pottery. Duct tape and chunks of tarp give you that ability, for the 1-2 months needed to outlast everyone else on the Alone show.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, December 14, 2018 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Deriv, have you applied? Sounds like you'd be great at it! And we'd have a TVCH member to root for!

Deriv

08-07-2017

Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
I've applied for every season since the first one. But it's a big mistake to have made lots of postings about how to last 4+ months, especially all over yt channels about the alone show! :-) That's the last thing that the producer's want. They want their liability exposure and costs of keeping the crews out there ended as soon as they have enough video to make 12 shows.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
Once I show how I juice the kelp, catch fish in the weir with the seine, and preserve their flesh, what would I show them for the remaining 2 months? :-) They'd DEFINITELY hate it that I caught birds and critters with fishhooks, or caught deer with neck snares and drag logs, for a fact.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
people might be ok with a fowl flopping around for a few seconds on camera, with a broadhead them, but to have a deer run off for half an hour, with an arrow thru its guts, or dragging a log for the same time, on TV? Not a chance and not even 2 seconds with treblehooks in the mouths of birds, before they drown. In fact, they'd never show it at ALL that I used the hooks in such a manner. I could show them the trick about converting the tines of the fishing arrowheads into 2 fishhooks per tine, a couple of other things related to gear, making the pontoon raft, etc. maybe 10 minutes per such activity, but once it's down to me and the other last guy, it'd be totally boring for at least a month.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
season 6 in Canadian arctic
Alone is moving
Separated by miles and completely isolated, ten survivalists attempt the boldest survival experiment on “Alone.” Season six will introduce a new set of men and women to face brutally freezing conditions in the most punishing environment yet – deep in the Canadian Arctic. In this new location, at the edge of the Arctic Circle, they must build their own shelters, hunt their own food, and overcome numerous deadly obstacles – such as a thriving grizzly and black bear population, territorial moose, packs of wolves and the increased risk of freezing – if they want to be the last person standing. With only a small rucksack of tools, enough camera gear to self-document their experiences and a cash prize of $500,000 on the line, season six will bring higher stakes, impressive levels of ingenuity and a greater desire to succeed than ever before. No camera crew. No gimmicks. Through all telecasts this past season, “Alone” reached 21.4 million total viewers in Live +3 delivery.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Deriv, they wouldn't show those moments anyway. So it's a moot point. You're right no one wants to see those things, and I'm kind of appalled that you would do them - maybe that's why they won't take you? And it seems to me if you could last so long, the show would still end when you were the last one standing?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I agree. Nobody wants to watch people torturing animals in the name of a game show. I understand people have to trap and kill in order to eat when they live in nature, but I don't consider watching animals suffer as entertainment. Even most people who are hunting to live don't wish their prey to suffer. That's kind of sick.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
back tomorrow night - Alone - in Canada, 5 hours of day light, 40 below temperatures,

here is the cast https://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast

there is some video clips, https://www.history.com/shows/alone

I am all in.

It is at great Slave Lake just north of Alberta.
So many Canadians,this could be called Canadian Alone. They seem more set to survive than say someone from San Antonio Texas. But we will see.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, June 07, 2019 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Aline last night was good! Someone tapped out already!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, June 07, 2019 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I saw that. And I thought that purposefully juxtaposed his making of fun of the "woodland nymphs" type and not apologizing to the tree made it even more interesting! I felt bad that he was hurt, but it was kind of karmic, you know?

Me big bad tough guy, eat meat, kill big animals, fall and break my leg and first one out.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, June 07, 2019 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well,this ties the season where it took the longest for the first person to depart with season 5, the hated season.
I think the record for leaving is a couple of hours.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, June 07, 2019 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
this was on the Bushcraftusa forum from Sam
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
One of the executive producers who I am facebook friends with is crapping his pants about it, so that's probably a good sign. From what I can gather, this sucker went WAY longer than it probably should have

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, June 14, 2019 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I always want to know what happened to these people after they tap out. Why was Donny so sick? Was it the muskrat? That sucks, if he finally found something to eat and it made him so sick.

I'd also like to know what happened to Jordan too. It seemed kind of just desserts, cause he was so cocky about being so sure he was going to win.

Once again, I know they have to eat, but I hate to see them have to kill living animals. As my brother says, I'd rather do my hunting at the grocery store.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 14, 2019 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Just this set up and about to watch the first two episodes on demand.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, June 14, 2019 - 11:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Babyjax, I too was wondering if it was the Muscrat!

I had a feeling what's her name was going to cut herself when I saw her with the knife.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
There's nothing on Donny's Facebook page yet, so will keep watching to see if he adds more info.

They need to do exit interviews!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
from the Alone facebook (as pointed to by bushcraftusa post) from the guy evacuated tim Backus.

Ok. I was given the idea to make this its own comment. Good smart people on here. I’m not great at this part but here goes.
I had set my camera down I. A shelve of rock about six feet taller than the beach. I had been informed that a med check was happening. I replied no I was going hunting. They told me to stay put. The beach actually was he best spot I had found to fish from and there was even a rivulet between the shore and a small island I could build a weir. I found a shovel. A board previously used for cleaning fish. My first ever reindeer antler shed. But the beach itself was the find. Sandy whereas everywhere else I had was sharply hurting rock out further than I could cast. I got tired of waiting and jumped up from the beach onto two boulders that were side by side to jump back up to the level where my camera was. I was just off to the side of he camera (conspiracy theorists- go) so we didn’t actually get to see it but the camera picked up all the audio. My other cameras had died so all I had left was handheld JVC. You can hear the pop if you listen. It was a long time lapse from when I fell. Had to climb up the rock face to get onto the level of my camera and gear. Crawl to it. That’s when you hear me puking halfway to the camera. My toe got snagged on a small rock and pulled my leg and knee. Bone on bone. Finally got back to the camera. Spent some time moving and assessing. Then time thinking. Coming to the decision to tap was the right thing to do but a very hard thing to do. I had promised my kids I would not risk permanent injury. Been there too many times and I guess none of them want to spoon feed me and change my diapers. It was embarrassing to tap but I really had no choice. I can almost walk a quarter mile now without it swelling up. I had a small fracture in my ankle. I recracked my shin bone where a wild boar had bit it and cracked it a few years ago. Tore all the ligaments in my knee. Need it replaced but I’m trying to put hat off for as many years as possible. Thanks for all the well wishes. Even the negative comments. You’re watching the show and that’s what counts. If it weren’t for us fans here would t be a show!