TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 18, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Alone - on the History Channel: Archive through August 18, 2018 users admin

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
several took a gillnet IIRC. But its size has been reduced yet AGAIN, to a lousy 44 sq ft! I'd not bother with it, unless it could be braided nylon (4 strands). then I could unravel and rebraid it into 400 sq ft of 4" mesh.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
there's no way to know if an animal was snared or arrowed. You'll cut it up immediately. I'd take 8 BIG treblehooks, set them 4 ft in the air, baited with salted fisheads, for big cats, canines. I'd make 4 more such treblehooks, out of the 40 hooks that I can make out of the 5 fishing arrowheads. You are allowed 9 arrows this season. So take 3 broadheads. I'd braid some snare wire, (4 strands) to tie the big hooks to 40 lb drag logs. The smaller hooks to 10 lb drag logs. wait a long time after the big ones are gulped, before following the trail marked by the drag log. Let the critter drown in his own blood.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
Bad info here about the hook. One of the Bairds hooked himself last season. if youve got a multitool, you can wait1-2 days, let it fester itself loose, force it on thru and out of your flesh the way it was going, cut off the eye of the hook and pull it out. Pour boiled water and hardwood ashes thru the wound, to reduce the risks of infection.Might want to get your e-tool red hot, use it to make the hook really hot, cauterizing the wound, before you extract the hook

It must be nice to just blow off a clear 1/4 million $. I surely would not quit that easily.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
She didn't have a multitool, she had no way of cutting off the eye. That was broadcast on the show.

In addition, she said that pushing it through meant pushing it through a tendon, which would have caused substantial damage. The only way out was the way it went in.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
I"m aware that people are too dumb to take the Signal tool, with its built in ferrorod and sharpening tool. When you can swap out the bit-driver for a file blade, so you can sharpen your saw-edge. We dont know that it was in a tendon, or just hooked around one. It was a very tiny hook, so I'd have risked pushing it thru the tendon, had I the multitool.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The smarter thing would be to pull it out the way it went in, rather than risk the tendon. She seemed pretty clear that when she did try to push on it, the tendon was in the way. Damaging the tendon and then going without treatment might/could cause permanent issues with the use of her thumb. She wasn't willing to risk it and I understand that.

But she wasn't comfortable with pulling it out, which you can do if you can put downward pressure (away from the barb) as you are pulling back. It's easier with two people, but still very painful and hard to accomplish. I've done that with small hooks, but I'm an idiot. :-)

As it was, it took two people to remove the hook at the hospital. At that point *none* of the hook was exposed. You couldn't even see it. They couldn't even push it through with 2 of them working on it, so they had to yank it out backwards.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
preview of tonights show
https://www.history.com/shows/alone/season-5/episode-4/preview-mongolias-wrath

interview with Nichole.
https://www.history.com/shows/alone/blog/misc/tap-out-qa-nicole-apelian

tap out with brad
https://www.history.com/shows/alone/blog/misc/tap-out-qa-brad-richardson

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
bear with me, I am going to load out some links of bonus footage. makingthe show, camera work
Larry building his shelter
Britt building his shelter
extracting Nichole

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
really hated the show last night, Jesse you are an idiot, Termites eat wood, not people. Yes you can make tea and be fine, or you can have some wood in your diet (wood shavings added to grated parmesan cheese) but you are not a termite and don't have those same wood dissolving bacteria in your stomach.

with the rest, I am getting concerned with food storage. and Sam -bad bad cabin.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Actually, I thought one of the captions said that Native Americans used pine wood bark extensively in their diet. However, they didn't eat it plain, they used it to make bread. Perhaps that was his downfall.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 11:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes here, in fact Adirondack means "bark eaters."

http://survivaltopics.com/edible-pine-bark/

Thus ends your history lesson for the day. Tune in tomorrow for more interesting survival trivia. LOL

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I think you can eat some, but not solely as your diet. as bread it would be mixed with other things. a few years ago some investigative journalism showed that big brand name grated parmesan is 20% wood pulp. but still you eat it mixed with other stuff.

now for some spoilers
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
6) Of Mice and Men July 19
The remaining participants begin to crack after almost a month of solitude. One survivalist's shelter turns into an unbearable green monster, while another takes extreme measures waging war on an uninvited guest.

7) Desperate Measures July 26
While some of the survivalists enjoy a bonanza of food, others are driven to increasingly desperate measures to sustain themselves; one hunter braves dangerous heights to stalk his prey, while another turns to a revolting food source.

8) Slayer II Aug 02

9) Starvation's Shadow Aug 09

10) Cold War Aug 16

11) Season 5 Reunion Special Aug 23

from bushcratusa forum

Jesse has been talking about his situation over on reddit. He had 5 colon blockages. Said he felt every bump on the evacuation trip out of there. They gave him some abdominal muscle relaxants first which helped a little. The doctors used some kind of meds to clear the blockages, not a colonic.

"When they finally passed, it was a relief like you couldn't believe."

Jesse said he did catch fish at first, but then it dried up and he was hungry. He said the pine bark was "like chewing spearmint version jerky, but it was nice to actually chew something. When I flame grilled it, it was sort of crunchy jerky. But boiling would have been a good idea."

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
so disappointed in Brooke. but I knew the minute she hiked up the mountain, that is a good bye thing to do. besides being Crazy Dave seems to be thriving. he had mice, his solution was to eat them - learn from him Larry!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 20, 2018 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, mentally she was done. So her hike was her last hurrah, and her goodbye journey.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, July 20, 2018 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Brooke's mental state was sinking fast. She did the right thing by tapping out.

I'm just about sick to death of Crazy Larry and his mouse war. When the camera catches his face, his eyes look wild and crazy. They're just mice, Larry.

I'm scared to death one of those guys smoking the fish is going to attract a bear for a free meal. A bear would easily tear apart their shelters to get at that fish.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 20, 2018 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As I understand it, the smoke overpowers the scent of the meat, so it's not the same as frying it outside your door.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, July 20, 2018 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
if it is getting cold the bears would be getting close to nesting down for the winter. same with the snakes, except the few who decide to winter inside.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Larry needs to get himself a pet boa constrictor to deal with those mice!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
sorry, I have been doing Reddit
some posts from there
Sam Larson to someone complaining about his shelter and telling how to do it right, heh.
I’ve eaten things that have not been show, and that’s not a bad shelter, it’s just what a shelter looks like when all you have around are willow and birch saplings. No large timber at my site. Wish I could have borrowed some of Randy’s logs!
I would think the same thing if I was in your shoes. I have to save most of my fun facts for after the show, in case they decide to include it in an episode. I will say that the resources at my site were kind of a punch in the gut. It wouldn't have been bad, but all of my cutting tools were based off of being told that there would be timber on the sites. I had 3 pine trees, one of which was 2 feet tall haha. From the footage and talking to the other guys, it seems like me, Larry, and Nicole had zero timber, while the other 7 sites had good timber. In hindsight I should have brought a pruning saw instead of a large bucksaw, and I probably shouldn't have brought a large axe at all, because I really couldn't put it to good use. I didn't consider digging down, because it just would have taken too long without a shovel.
The challenge of being in a legitimate wilderness is that some areas will always be better than others. We drew river rocks this season. Season 1 the locations were written on slips of paper and cooked into fortune cookies.
So I actually like Dave's shelter, and I think you guys would like mine if you stepped inside yourself. I laughed at the shot where wind is blowing in my face inside of the shelter. During that shot, either the front wall was not constructed yet or the door was open, so yea, it blew inside. You can tell that there's no barrier because of the amount of light on my face. With everything closed up it's not so bright. Wind came through sometimes in the little gaps, but the snow more or less patched those up so I decided to just leave it. I really don't understand why so many folks hate dave's, when it's perfectly designed for what he's doing. I just chalk that up to most online critics not knowing what it actually takes to live in the woods. Dave has lived in the woods more or less for the last 25 years. He spent 6 years in a cave, 1 in a pit house, 2 in a wikiup, and several other shelters. He'll never respond to your comments though, because he just doesn't go online much. He stays off the grid and has zero desire to be any level of "famous"

here is a link to all of Sam's posts.
https://www.reddit.com/user/SamLarson-outdoors

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
this from Jesse cracked me up (was he onthis season?)
Scurvy affects collagen more so than brain function, but a good source of vit. C is in Plantain and Pine needle tea. Teas was a way of life out there.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Britt's shelter is impressive. It looks like a pretty snug cabin.

I am disturbed by all the killing of animals this season. I realize they have to eat, but I do not enjoy watching them kill and skin their prey. When Britt killed that little mouse in his shelter and held it up to the camera, it was still breathing (I could see it's stomach moving). And when he chopped off its head and was pretending it could "talk," I had to FF. Just don't want to dwell on that stuff.

I feel for the guy who's having so much difficulty causing the animals he has to kill pain. I know he's hungry, but you just don't want to make anything suffer.

I would not make a good survivalist. As my brother often says, "I do all my hunting at Safeway."

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
finale tonight, think this will be the shortest stay in the wild.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Interesting that it was the shortest season. I guess Mongolia is more harsh than Patagonia?

Or is it that if you did it once, you give up more easily the second time?

Seems like none of them are finding food.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I guess game is harder to get in the winter with the limited resources they had. IN a way I started to feel sad, I was glad for Britt proving accountants can be hardy and sad for Sam that he felt that this was the way he could support his family by starving so long, Happy for Larry that he made peace with his desires, when i saw, that video of Larry and his wife and their story about their both being abused in their families so they ran away together to start a life. I started seeing how special they were as people. Still think he should have trapped and killed and eaten his mice in the cabin instead of chasing them out with bear spray.

they really need to reward the second place person, they do it on lots of these kinds of competitions.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 11:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I am back with more Alone TV bonus video
larry gets a tattoo to commemorate Mongolia
beating boredom - very interesting
first meals
Sam comes home