TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 24, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: The Great British Baking Show - PBS - New Season 7/1/2016: Archive through June 24, 2018 users admin

Roteach

06-01-2003

Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I was fine with the way things ended up. I do love Andrew though.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I thought Candice might win and it did seem as though her show stopper was the best. I would rather Andrew or Jane won but there you go.
I really enjoy this show. All the bakers seem to want everyone to succeed.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
We have not seen the finale yet here.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, August 07, 2017 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
All season long, in the Twin Cities it's been on Friday night. This week it was on Sunday night, during Pledge week. So it was early and it was interrupted three times by the pledge drive. And I think they cut off the end as well. I read on another site that she gave a great speech at the end but I don't think we got to see it here.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, August 07, 2017 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Some heartfelt words on what it meant to her to be in the comp and to win.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, August 28, 2017 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I've been watching seasons 1 and 2 and I really enjoy the historic tidbits Mel and Sue do.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, September 01, 2017 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Anyone who doesn't mind searching for the British show, season 8 started this week with the new team (and Paul) plus, of course, new bakers. Sandi is a natural, Noel felt a little uncomfortable with the parts with lines but was fine whenever he was ad-libbing. I adore Mel and Sue (particularly Sue) but I think this season's going to be good.

Googling GBBO S8E01 might give you some hits.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 8:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Season 8 is over spoilers are out, DONT google Season 8 if you don't want to be spoiled because the winner pops up --- because a judge tweeted the winner before it aired! The finale seems as it was very close too!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 4:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I was in Costco this week and picked up the magazine "Bake From Scratch". It's the British issue and has recipes from winners from the Great British Bake off.

I googled who Edd Kimber is because he's the guest editor for the issue. And I found this excellent article about what 4 of the winners are doing know and how their lives changed. It's a long article and I'm glad it is. It's very nicely done.

Life after Bake Off: four winners reflect on their highs and lows in and out of the tent

I'm checking out the magazine and recipes now.

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 10:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
I can't read it because I have my adblocker on. But, from what little I saw, good on them!

Reader234

08-13-2000

Friday, December 29, 2017 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
It was an interesting read thank you Grooch

Pdxtransplant

07-09-2010

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pdxtransplant a private message Print Post    
I have no idea how to start a thread...so I'm posting about this British cooking show here...

I've been watching The Big Family Cooking Showdown via Netflix. It is as good as the British Baking Show! Teams of three family members compete in a series of three cook offs. The first is a challenge in the "test kitchen", of sorts, to feed four people on a budget of £10. The second challenge is to cook family favorites in your own home. The last challenge is cook to impress your neighbors. No budget on that challenge.

It's co-hosted by the Baking champion Nadya, who does a terrific job! The families are so nice, and talented, and it's a kick to see each of their homes and lifestyles.

Highly, highly recommend!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Thanks PdX................I will check it out.

Dke1212

07-13-2005

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dke1212 a private message Print Post    
Pdx, just added it to my list. Thanks!

Pdxtransplant

07-09-2010

Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pdxtransplant a private message Print Post    
Forgot to mention that the two judges of The Big Family Cooking Showdown are famous and judge very honestly without being snarky, even when a dish is not perfectly cooked. Oh, and I enjoy the diversity of the contestants, as well as the familial interplay on each team. Charming and funny!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed it and hope for additional series.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
New season started last night. Just watched it. Good so far.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It is a new season for us, but the date on it is 2012, so it still has Paul and Mary, and the original hosts. That's the crew I like, so I'm watching. :-)

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I thought this was a repeat, I swear as I see people I know them. My dvr automatically recorded them so I amy go watch.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 6:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Arg, I did get teased! I kept seeing ads for a “new season” of Great British Bake-off, honestly I kept looking, Season 3, 2012 was playing, I thought that was a lead up to the “new season”... now I know... I’ve been teased... Season 3 is all I’ll get.

I remember when we first started getting this, we numbered it differently than their actual seasons (we’ve never seen season 1 for instance, ). I googled, here’s a link that gives an overview, no spoilers just talking about the seasons

Well that isn’t working, but it just confirmed what we’ve discussed

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
FWIW, this has NEVER been broadcast in the US before, so technically it is NEW here.

If you saw it before, you saw it through some other means, not PBS.

It was recorded in 2012.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kar, fwiw I just read an NBC article, it’s called “Behind the scenes drama”. It refers to the political drama of moving it from their British PBS to commercial tv, and how that is affecting getting the series to air here in America (and no spoilers listed )

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/pbs-great-british-baking-show-premiere-marred-behind-scenes-drama-ncna886111

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
They did say never viewed here.. So happy to have a new to me season (or series, as they call what we call a season) with Paul and Mary!!! And She and Mel..

Good article, Reader!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I agree.

I don't like the new cast, so it's fun to see the original group, even if it was filmed 6 years ago, it's new to me.