TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 09, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Alone - on the History Channel: Archive through August 09, 2017 users admin

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, July 21, 2017 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
the people that are leaving are not the hikers, It was the teen age boy first, then the son in his 20's who was scared by a bear after he used his food bag as a pillow. then the older man who wanted to stay but had a slip and hurt his back - very valid reason there (he is better) and then this older brother who did nothing in camp while his brother hiked through thicket for 10 days.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 21, 2017 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, I understand that. But they might have been less likely to leave if the hikers had been there sooner. That's my point.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well the Q&A is up for the the brothers and if you wanted to hit the older, camper, one this would do it.
http://www.history.com/shows/alone/blog/misc/tap-out-qa-chris-and-brody-wilkes
keep in mind that Chris wanted to come on this show and recruited his brother, he decided on day three to leave and waited leaving his brother struggling with hiking rather than just tap out. such a nice considerate guy He did nothing at camp to welcome his brother just ate the provisions he brought so there was nothing for his brother's arrival. threw a tarp over a tree branch for shelter.

4. Why did you decide to tap out?

Chris:I made the decision on my daughter’s birthday, day 3, that I wasn’t going to stay until the end. The reality that my daughter was stressed out by my absence, and the knowledge that she would likely solve that stress by emotionally detaching from me, made leaving early the right choice for me. When I came to this decision, I didn’t want Brody to miss his daughter’s first birthday either. The gift I chose to give my family, instead of my half of the prize money, was the experience of being chosen over money. In the end, my half of the prize money didn’t seem like a fair trade off for what they were experiencing. I hoped that by leaving early they would see themselves as my greatest priority, and it worked. The first 1-2 months after I got back home was absolutely heavenly. We were walking in the clouds and full of gratitude for the love we had for each other. If I had chosen to stay on Vancouver Island for a few more weeks, which I seriously considered, the impact of “feeling chosen” would possibly have been lessened.

Brody:I was looking forward to resting once I got to the base camp, but the conditions there were not very good when I arrived. My brother had already decided that he wanted to leave and was waiting for my arrival to do so. This made it clear that staying on the island long term was not going to happen, so I decided it was best to compromise and let him push the button.

Karuuna, I agree the two young boys would have been better with their companions, but one lasted 2 hours and the other lasted 2 days, not enough time for them to be together if they were dropped of 3 miles away, they would have had to start together and i am sure they would still be there.
Shannon would have been there if his brother were around because his brother was determined to look after him. that one I will give you, he only needed a few days, feel very sad about Shannon.

Florin

08-27-2006

Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
I hope the married couple last a long time.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Friday, July 28, 2017 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
Brooke and Dave are going to all this trouble to build a cabin when they already had a great shelter. I think the brothers will tap next week. (If I heard another "dude" or "man" last night I was going to change the channel...lol) Then that just leaves the father and son, I don't see them lasting too much longer.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 2:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well, these people do not know how the others are doing, I can see Brook and Dave feeling they have to make themselves comfortable because, you don't know how well the others are doing. It was 3 months for singles last year, I can see where they think doubles could do better. Heck if you are going to be there in the dead of winter, you have to be comfortable.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
The reason they built the cabin is so they could make bunks and sleep off the ground. That will be major when it rains and rains. That's why one of the other teams decided to go home. They had a river coming thru their tent. Sleeping in a puddle is not fun.

I think Brooke and Dave will do well if they can get enough food. Brooke is tiny, and already they are very low on energy. Gotta get some calories.

The dad and son seem to be catching a lot of fish. I was thinking of that guy last season who had all that smoked salmon, but wouldn't eat it and was slowly starving himself to death.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
I can't believe that this show is not a lot more popular than it is! Sheesh, there's 1/2 million $ prize here, and if you're on the show, you have a 1 in 10 chance of winning. It's amazing to me how inept/lazy these people are! Wow. 8-10 days to hike 10 miles (season 4 only, 2 person teams, required to be family members) . If they went at it properly, it would be 4 days, maximum, but they dont know how to go about it

Deriv

08-07-2017

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
First off, I'd cache well over half of the gear that they start you out with (60 lbs) up in a tree, wrapped in the jacket of my rainsuit. Then I'd use the tied-off legs of the rainsuit to carry a couple of gallons of water. I'd take 3.5 lbs of the maximum 4 lbs of rations (pemmican and gorp) my "belt knife (a kukri) for slashing thru the vegetation the ferrorod, the 10 x10 "camera" tarp, the pack, some of the heavier type of fishline. I'd carbo-load before going, and use spare clothing and half of the duct tape to shore up my knees and ankles. The terrain is steep, and slippery from rain and moss/slime. I'd make a pair of trekking poles. I'd blaze a trail to ease my return to the cache. After a day and a night, I'd have my camp-partner sending up (agreed upon) "smoke signals" to help me find him. The hiker is given a compass and a heading to find his partner, who is dropped off on the coast of Vancouver Island, BC, in Canada. The guys spend too much time looking for water, boiling it, going around dense stuff, wasting time, and run out of food. Then they have no energy, start making mistakes.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
Here is the gear list.

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Devir, you might want to go to the following link where this show has been discussed. It is listed under the Other Reality shows thread, under Adventure.

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/messages/156/14559009.html?1501349384

Deriv

08-07-2017

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
elaborate shelters are a huge mistake. Some win despite mistakes, by being fat and lucky. But you're WAY ahead to have a portable shelter, so that you can move it to where the resources are. That might be squawood for the winter, or a great place to bait in a bear, arrow it, preserve the meat with salt and smoke, and just hole up, conserving calories.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
none seem to know to take a PARACORD gillnet and PARACORD hammock. You can weave 2000 sq ft of 3" mesh netting out of the 7 inner strands of that 2000 ft of paracord. That much netting can be woven in a week, by 2 guys and it will feed you (both).

Deriv

08-07-2017

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
you get pulled if your BMI goes below 17. If you start at a healthy weight, which is 20 bmi, you wont be able to last more than a month, unless you're catching a LOT of fish and game, as well as juicing kelp with a big mortar and pestle.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
Few seem to understand that a big man, working hard, 15 hours a day in the wind, cold, wet, needs to consume 5000 calories per day. Only half of a fish or animal's live weight is edible flesh. Fish and game offer only 800 calories per lb (ready to eat) Plants offer only 600 calories per lb. Mike Phelps, in training, has to eat 12,000 calories per day and he's not fat! You wont be in water for 8 hours a day, but you'll be working a lot longer, when it's a lot colder! At least, you will be (or you'd BETTER be) that first month or so. So you need to be catching at least 10 lbs of live weight game or fish, every day, per person. and that's saving up NOTHING for when snow and ice pretty much shut down the foraging.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Welcome to TVCH Deriv! You know a lot about this. Are you a primitive survivalist?

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Hey Deriv, I found a great place where a lot of the the contestants post.
bushcraftusa.com. in the media thread in the last section you can find posts about Alone. I like to read there but am not a bushcrafter and never will be one so don't want to join where i don't belong. Mostly it is Dave the winner season 2, but also Fowler winner season 3 and rarely Nichole and a couple of others that have not posted lately so I forget.
a couple of people brought gill nets, don't know if they were paracord or not. and Brooke found a fishnet with floats. Last seen being untangled. I think it does not work as well this year because most are closer to the ocean and not with large in land streams or the more in land-ish ocean.
Dave claimed a few times he actually gained weight once he finished his cabin, he mostly sat by the sea and studied the tides so that at the end, he knew how to fish and could eat every day and his only other job was getting firewood.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
dave got lucky and found some rope, which he made into a net. But nobody has taken a paracord hammock, even, much less a paracord gillnet, and nobody has gutted any paracord to access the inner strands. Thank you for the referral. I do post there, now and then, but those guys nearly all think that they are Paul Bunyan. Nobody has built any cabin, but Fowler erected a serious waste of a month's worth of time and calories. Had he spent that same time making netting, out of said inner strands, had he known to take the paracord hammock and gillnet, the slingbow and 6 of the right kind of arrows, he'd not have lost that 70 lbs.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
NO, I don't believe in spending time on primitive stuff. I've done too much hard living for real to like it. :-) Even if you ARE broke, there's much easier ways to live. At one point, I lived in a minivan for 3 years, on sales of my plasma and working craiglist gigs. It inhaled sharply, I can assure you. But I got a degree, married a nurse, and now things are ok.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Glad you are having a good life, now. I am a city girl who has never been camping, but I love this show. I love the stamina and strength of the people. I think about them as I drive to the store to shop, heck not killing even a fish here. I used to crab and give it to someone else to cook because i could not bear to do it. then come back to eat.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 8:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
I can remember, age 7, being a bit squeamish about my first mammal kill (rabbit) caught in box trap. I'd killed frogs, birds, fish, never considered it to be any issue at all, at a younger age. Like anything else, you can learn to not even notice it. These guys have it really easy compared to things that others have had to endure. Many in WW2 never saw their families for 5 years, and these wimps are upset about 5 weeks? Steve Callahan spent 70 odd days in an open, half-sunk inflatable raft, drinking rain water, fishing with a butterknife that he'd lashed to his spear gun.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
This season is very obviously been altered to ensure that it's over with in a month of real time. It's set up for the hubby/wife to win, cause they dont have to split the prize money, while the other teams WILL. The whipples ARE a great team, tho.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 8:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
making an elaborate shelter is a mistake. It's wasted time and calories. The producers will never again let it go 3 months. Doing so costs them a lot of money. Nearly all of your time and calories must be spent acquiring food, or making ways to acquire a lot of food. If, after a month, you've lost no weight, and have say, 200 lbs of food preserved, and the others are starving (as they always are (one exception in 44 people) the producers will call you the winner and that will be that.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I think the married couple aren't anymore spent than the others. But they are more comfortable. Hey they even play checkers. And they are bound to find some protein soon.

Deriv

08-07-2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Deriv a private message Print Post    
oh yeah? what's "bound" about it? they need to eat at least 6 lbs of fish and/or game per day, even if all they do is lay around in their sleeping bags, and if they have to go catch same (which they do, of course) then they have to catch 20 lbs per day in order to not lose weight. Only half of any fish or animal's live weight is edible flesh and being out in the weather, working hard, doubles your caloric needs.

They didn't know to take a paracord gillnet and paracord hammock, out of which to weave 2000 sq feet of netting (from the 7 inner strands). Nor do they have a bow with which to take a baited in bear. They dont have the 4 fishing arrows, out of which to make 32 fishhooks, and they have not brought the 8 treblehooks, to set on small log rafts for ducks and gulls. So they have just ignored the main sources of food/protein that they COULD have had, (easily)