TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 09, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Alone - on the History Channel: Archive through June 09, 2017 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, January 20, 2017 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I love this show, but I do not enjoy watching them kill the animals. I don't mind the fish so much, but watching them try to catch the birds and the fox makes me sad. I know they need to eat, but it's a TV show.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 4:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
They are given one emergency food pack with water. They can elect to bring a select amount any of a number or different food packs, and/or seasonings. I would be tempted by that combo pack of salt and either sugar or rice. Most pick dried meat and fat pectin which they can make into a soup. Of course if they picked 10 food packs they would not have knives sleeping bags or axes. would not really be able to survive.

Willwillbee

09-19-2001

Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 5:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, I get that it wouldn't be practical to get 10 food packs, but I looked up in the first 2 seasons & not one even got 1 pack. 5# of dried beans would have gone a long way. I haven't checked this year's folks.

I know only allowing 10 items makes for hard decisions but food really should be one, especially if you've watched the first seasons.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I think you are mistaken, I know that most people took one packet. Dave from last year said he had 2 pounds of pectin left when they told him the show was over, he lost a lot of weight in the beginning, but in the end started to gain weight. I think he said that on Bushcraft boards.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
If you go here, you can see what people brought on season 1 (look at bottom of page)and you will see emergency rations, that would be the packages of food.

oh and Megan dropped by bushcraft forum. She said last show she was eating sorrel, not dandilion. Megan is back posting - they were asking how long between when you were selected until you took off, it varied from 3 to 5 weeks and they had to get their equipment together and approved and set up things so life could go on, kids schedules, bills paid, etc.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Friday, January 27, 2017 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Oh No Callie! You were the one Kid Sis & I were banking on with the positive attitude and projects. Still, even tho she said the spider bite poultices worked but her lymph nodes were smaller, it still seems smarter to get out before more serious damage occurs.

If anyone hears anything of her after the show info, we would love to see that posted.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 12:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
That's exactly what I said, too, Biscottiii! This episode was kind of annoying the way they kept showing us the boat coming to take someone out and then kept saying, "8 days earlier," "5 days earlier," etc. I hated that. I guess they were trying to build suspense. I was disappointed she left. I thought she was going to win. She seemed to be thriving, except for the spider bites. I guess no one can really understand what they go through out there.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 2:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
she is giving a class with Nichole and Jose some time in Feb in Washington state.
she posts on bushcraftusa.com forum

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Thanks Sadies! Will check it out.

BKM, I found that 8days, 5days stuff confusing too. But what you said makes more sense like they're trying to build suspense. Poorly done IMO

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, February 03, 2017 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I think the consensus around the boards is that Dave was not acting like a normal person, who starves themselves to oblivion when they have a lot of food, he was like a food miser. COunting filets to keep hunger at bay. I am surprised no one said anything about eating to him before, I know they don't have long conversations, but the lack of fat looked bad for weeks, I wonder if the fall and injury had anything to do with the pulling as well.
I guess someone else will just decide it is not worth the wait. I remember seeing an animal shot - so who has a bow? or will this be like the wolf attack last year where they showed it over and over and over as a teaser and it was never shown as actually happening.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 12:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh, I hope so! I would hate seeing them kill an animal. It's just a TV show, not real life. It seems like such a waste.

Sadiesmom, they had words on the screen about Dave's food hoarding. They said it was a sign of starvation. He thought he was rationing his food, but in reality he was starving himself and it was affecting his brain function and judgement. I really thought he'd hurt himself when he fell. That seemed painful!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Is next week the final? They have a reunion show scheduled after the episode broadcast.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
yes, it is the last week.
I have to go and look for an interview I read with Callie and link it here, but among other things she said, she was always hungry, the hunger never went away. there was never enough fish, bountiful meals were rare, she started to fear damaging her body and that was one consideration when she left.

no money is enough if she had done some permanent damage. The spider bites are still blue and hurt but they are all healed over.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, February 10, 2017 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
We really thought Callie would win, so bummed she tapped out. Then we were routing for the last woman standing but unfortunately her body weight was too low.

Well congratulations to Fowler! Wow, he sure looked different than when he started!!

We haven't watched the reunion show yet.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, February 10, 2017 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
It is a shame about Megan and her tooth, I think she had a good chance but tooth pain will not be ignored! even though she lost a lot of weight,
too bad it turned out to be a weight loss race to the end. But no one caught any meat, so there you go, those animals are jsut to wiley for them.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
The tooth thing was no joke. We recently had a local man die from a tooth infection. Once an infection goes systemic, you're in deep trouble. Plus mouth pain is the worst!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
My brother died of sepsis last year. He was trying to avoid the dentist.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I'm so sorry to hear that, Sadiesmom. My brother is a disabled veteran. He served 20 years in the Air Force. He has pretty good medical coverage, but no dental. He ended up getting most of his teeth pulled, cause he couldn't afford to get them fixed. It's just shameful that insurance companies don't consider dental health to be a part of overall health maintenance. So sorry for the loss of your brother.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I wanted to bring this video of David season 2 - he said he had so much fish at the end that he was gaining weight at the end - i.e. people will not necessarily starve at the end.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/alone-season-3.182829/page-37#post-3246791

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
a post from Megan after the show.
I just want to say congrats to Fowler too! He has heard it from me but I don't want to breaking too much into his congratulatory stream on this site.
I initially lost more weight when I got out, my body/organs were trying to adjust to 'regular' food. This journey doesn't end when you leave your site. Trying to reintegrate was a journey in itself. The weight came back within the first 2 weeks (back to my normal 117lbs) but with water weight too (edema) and to replace fat soluble vitamins/minerals takes time (some of these like the b vitamins are accumulated over your life time). Hair loss continued for months for many of us in the top 5. My underarm hair has never grown back !! (Lack of magnesium?). Before I started the journey, I totally did not expect the effects of lacking vitamins/minerals to be so prevalent.

I went back to work within days upon returning to Canada. It honestly takes time to physically replace vitamins/minerals (many which are very hard to acquire in nature) and come to grips with the whole experience (positives and the challenges).

Lots to this experience....

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
OK, so it has been verified, Alone won't be Alone anymore. 7 teams of 2 are going back to Vancouver island, they will be dropped off separate, and have to find each other and then see how long they can stay.
I think they should call it not so alone instead.
It starts in late June.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 5:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
They needed to shake it up a bit. I found last season boring. I loved Allen from first season maybe I'm just comparing everyone to him.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, June 05, 2017 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Oh sounds interesting! I will check it out!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, June 09, 2017 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
the pre episode introducing the pairs showed yesterday, apparently they think these people are in more danger and they are actually keeping rescue teams locally close to the participants in tents. I guess they are less capable? Or maybe they are responsible for bear attacks on contestants.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, June 09, 2017 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I'm glad they're going back to Vancouver Island. I just love that place. So gorgeous!

Should be interesting to have teams rather than single competitors. Might help with the boredom, loneliness and isolation factors.