TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 25, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Alone - on the History Channel: Archive through June 25, 2016 users admin

Willwillbee

09-19-2001

Friday, June 10, 2016 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
According to this link - He won on day 56 outlasting the other nine men in total isolation.

I think this year will last much longer. I think the first season that people were afraid it might last a year or more. Not knowing how many others were still out there, probably made most give up.

Barring injury, illness or predators, I bet some will hang in at least 3 months.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/08/20/did-alan-kay-win-historys-alone-and-500000/

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I totally understand why Mike tapped out. Disappointed, but I get it. He had a great camp, and so did Randy, but without companionship, it's nothing.

I felt bad for the guy who inadvertently built his camp in a swamp. I wonder if his sleeping bag will ever actually be dry again. When the humidity is really high, things just don't dry out. Nothing is more miserable than a wet sleeping bag.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
In last night's show, one of the contestants referenced "spending a year", so I think that's what they are lead to believe.

It's interesting that 2 of those that are doing the best are the ones that left!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
My thoughts exactly Karuuna!I was surprised and a bit disappointed those2 tapped out. I thought for sure the guy with the wets leaping bag and 2 feet of water in his living area would tap. Good for him for forging on to do the hike in honor of veterans.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I was kind of disappointed in them, because they *were* doing so well. But maybe since they felt like they had already conquered/mastered the situation, they had no real lessons to learn?

Willwillbee

09-19-2001

Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
I'm reneging my bet that most will last much longer this time - lol.

I guess I have to agree with you Karuuna, they accomplished personal goals & left. These type of folk that flourish in nature, are not money driven, so the prize money is not that important to them.

I wish they would allow them more basic items - they are allowed 10 items from the list but after essentials (sleeping bag & cover, flint, hatchet, tarp, pan, knife, sharpening stone, fishing line, etc) there isn't room for food. They should allow them all at least bags of beans & rice to start.

I remember one fellow saying the sleeping bag cover was a separate item from the bag itself. I wonder if the fellow with the wet sleeping bag decided against the cover or if the water seeped thru the cover as well.

They said last year that it was so humid & wet that nothing ever dried out.

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/full-gear-list-and-prohibited-items

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
on the blade forums they are thinking that part of the issue was the youth of Randy and having grown up "connected". When people go camping now, they take their cell phones, no one is really alone for any length of time and this might be why Jose might win, he already live a survivor life style and is older, hence not a connected all the time.

They also talked about how camping trips used to be for a month and now they tend to be weekends because people are just busier and don't have jobs that let them leave.

Even starving David has a secret advantage - he has nothing to go back to, nothing to miss. He is getting a divorce (that alone can drive you to seek solace) and he has no job and he has no money. He has a goal - to win the money and nothing better to do. If he doesn't starve, he might as well be patient.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Oh my goodness, I am so impressed w/ these contestants' ingenuity. Jose is building a boat from scratch!! That is so interesting. I can't wait to see how well it does on the water. Mike had practically built a village! Randy built what looked like a log cabin! Someone else is weaving their own fishing net! I'm in awe of all of them because they've all done better than I would do... well, except the first guy. :-)

It's a shame that both Randy and Mike gave up so soon. I'm especially going to miss Mike. It was fun to see what he was going to come up w/ next. I guess I was expecting that since all of these contestants are experienced outdoors people that they would be used to the solitude. I wonder if boredom played as much of a part in their decisions as the loneliness did. I mean, Mike had already built everything he needed in his 21 days, maybe it wasn't challenging enough for him.

But that's the other shame... what a waste of good camps/locations. Meanwhile, poor Justin is living in a swamp, and poor David hasn't eaten anything in 4 days because the water is too rough to fish where he is. I bet they'd both love to have landed at that location Mike abandoned. Hopefully they'll have a little good luck soon.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I'll miss ogling Randy's bod.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 13, 2016 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I would like Randy a lot better if he'd shave that nasty beard. Just not digging it.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Nicole is one lucky camper or just so much better at it than others, no mop8ng, just lessons. She was so cute freeing that fish. But was it a good decision?
Jose seems hung up on his boat and does not seem successful. Too much into looking good

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think Jose is just trying to keep his mind busy. Gotta do something when you're alone all day. Plus he wants to catch some fish and is hoping to get in on the salmon run.

Nicole is super lucky in her location. She has everything she needs to keep going. I feel bad for Justin, who's basically starving to death, when Nicole has actually more than she needs. It's all the luck of the draw as far as location goes.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Nicole also has bears....but she seems okay with coexisting with them.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Well, she also put the net where the bears were, not everyone would have done that because she surmised that the bears knew where the fish were. I think the area allotted to each of them is more than 10 square miles, so if we see them on one beach it is not as if that is the only land available to them.
Last year there was a guy who had an inlet running through and the water was brackish, they had to remove him because he was killing himself by drinking the brackish water instead of looking for a clear water area. The same year a guy build a leaf boat to cross water because he could not find fresh water on the side he was on.
It is not always about where they were dropped off, but where they are willing to go - look at larry who struggled on the hill until he managed to wander off and find a better spot. Sometimes you can find a better location by moving around, not everyone thinks to do that though.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
And also you have to realize that a lot of them are undernourished and exhausted. I can't imagine having to haul all my stuff to another location when I haven't eaten in days. Makes me tired just to think about it.

The guy who had to be removed last year was not sterilizing his water properly. He thought he could strain it through the moss and remove the "bad" stuff, but he really should have been boiling it like everyone else. You can get parasitees (giardia) by drinking water that hasn't been processed properly. That was a pretty big mistake on his part.

I can't be too critical of any of these folks. I would never attempt to do what any of them is doing and can't imagine how hard it is. I still maintain there is a lot of luck involved, but ingenuity has a lot to do with it also.

Felt bad for the guy who can't catch a single fish, when Nicole actually let one go cause she didn't need it! Pretty ironic!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
the bad thing in the water last year was salt, it was brackish water - he should have known it was poisoning him, he also thought that it was enough fresh and not so salty it would not harm him.

I decided since I am discovering video and links that I did not see on the History site, So here are the links
nicholes Alone facebook
https://www.facebook.com/nicoleapeliansurvival/?pnref=story
Larry's facebook
https://www.facebook.com/larryrobertsbacktobasics/
Justin's facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/alonejustinv/
Mikes facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/mikelowealone/
Jose's facebook
https://www.facebook.com/j.m.amoedo/?pnref=story
Tracey's facebook with pictures of her shoulder
https://www.facebook.com/Tracy-Wilson-1699383673654331/
I heard the alone facebook is a hatefest, so didn't bother looking for it

Willwillbee

09-19-2001

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
Who is the electrician who hates his job & doesn't want to go back to it? I went through all the bios & no one was listed as an electrician.

Not only do they have to haul all their stuff but the camera, sound, & safety equipment, gps, satellite phone, tarps & stuff as well, making sure nothing gets wet & damaged in transit AND while filming too. They should at least give them a day with a film crew to scout out a site without equipment & deliver all the stuff to that site after a good meal & a good night's sleep so they can start making camp fresh.

As part of the non-optional equipment, they get one "emergency rations, food & water" (I am supposing that is one meal) but I checked out all the bios for what they chose as their optional items & all but Randy (who opted for no food items) chose another emergency rations as an option - 4 of the 10 contestants chose TWO emergency rations.

They are allowed 10 optional items from a list which includes 8 choices of 5# of dried food items (beans or other legumes/pulses, rice, jerky, flour etc even chocolate or M&M's if they choose) and NO one chose to take ANY food from these options. 5# of dried items will make 20# of food & many meals. I just don't understand.

I checked & last year's winner Alan didn't opt for any food but he also didn't opt for another emergency ration either. He chose a water bottle but not the waterproof bag for his sleeping bag. I don't think anyone in season 2 chose a water bottle but he had to learn the hard way.

I couldn't believe Nicole let that fish go - she could have dried the fish for another day or eaten more. I guess she believes more in karma than saving for a rainy day. The salmon only run for a couple of months & they all die at the end of it.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Nicole has had good fortune fishing. She already had a food for a couple days.

Florin

08-27-2006

Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
Nicole also has a good knowledge of what plants you can eat and/or use for medical needs.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
the cursing electrician is Larry, It is hard to name him without using a curse word it is so prevalent. haha,. Well, he went a bit overboard with his mouse hate yesterday. Gross gruesome detail, he sounded almost as cruel as a cat playing with it's food.
Kill your food and move on Larry. But I kind of understand because I had an apartment with roaches once and I kept everything in plastic bags, my clean clothes. any food, plates and glasses, flatware, shoes. Never used table cloths only had old used furniture that I left behind. We sprayed, the building sprayed, but you could hear them running around in the walls, I would fill any cracks in the walls or between woodwork still they came out. I truly hated them and was constantly depressed until I moved. So like Larry and his mice.
Who would of thunk it that of the people remaining in the top 4, David and Larry would be in there? I figured them both as early drop outs.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think this episode showed how the boredom and solitude can work on your mind. That's why the producers encourage them to have projects to work on. It's not to make themselves "look good," but to keep them busy. I would go crazy with nothing to do all day. Not even a book to read. Gah!!!

Nicole must be doing well, cause she wasn't even on this episode. I missed her. Wouldn't it be something to have a woman win?

Okay, we all know Jose is going to capsize his little boat, cause they've showed us a hundred times in the opening sequence and promotions. Every time he paddles out, I'm waiting for him to flip. I can't believe those tiny plastic bottles are going to make any difference in the stability of that boat.

And when are we going to see the wolf that keeps running up to the camera in the opening sequence???

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, June 24, 2016 - 8:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom...my daughter asked the same thing about when we will see the wolves!!

Ranger2

08-08-2008

Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 5:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ranger2 a private message Print Post    
I've been waiting for the wolves too! This last episode, there was some howling, and then it looked like one walked through Larry's camp, before he got all excited about hearing the rock fall on his mouse. I was also waiting for Jose to flip his kayak too!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I just wish they wouldn't give so much away in the opening. That's why I don't watch previews anymore either. Especially on The Bachelor(ette) shows. They like to misdirect so you think one thing is going to happen, when really it's something else altogether.

I also felt a little sorry for the mouse. It's just a mouse trying to survive. No reason to get so angry!

Slugger

07-17-2005

Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Slugger a private message Print Post    
I had to laugh a bit about the mouse. My cat said "big deal!" We watch together