TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 18, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Alone - on the History Channel: Archive through July 18, 2015 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I found a web site that said this was a 10 episode series....sorry but I can't find the link again!

They're tapping out so quickly (one man per episode) it looks like the last man standing could win a half million bucks in only 10 days.

$50,000 per day? Not too shabby.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 12:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
here is an interesting forum of knife guys , many of them are survival campers. Much sympathy for those who tapped out early one guy explaining how you can handle something very stressful and then a little thing throws you off your game.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 2:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
A little thing like a bear.

They have to charge their cell phones somewhere so they can call when they need rescuing.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well, small is relative. A few of them live in the area as well and talk about the animals that are there.
One person claims to know someone on the show and that there is a weekly battery drop at the drop off site.
I am assuming that the filmed conversation when they were rescuing that last guy by road indicated that the contestants have to call in every day so they know they are still up and kicking.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Those aren't cell phones, they are satellite phones, and if you turn them off when you are not using them, the batteries last a long time.

A 12 volt charger will charge a car battery. If they have one of those, they can charge a lot of devices on it before it needs to be replaced.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 8:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I'm oddly fascinated with this show. I felt so sorry for the guy that lost his fire starter.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
People start fires on these survivor type shows without a fire starter all the time. I wondered why he tapped out without even trying to start a fire?

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Lake, I think "missing fire starter guy" was in a very moist climate....I know I know people start fires in moist climates. It was a harsh climate. He had a hard time getting fire going even with the fire starter.

Never ever in my life would I ever contemplate doing any sort of wild wilderness living. But I do enjoy watching other do it on my tv.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Me too, " roughing it" is having to sleep on 200 thread count sheets.

Ranger2

08-08-2008

Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ranger2 a private message Print Post    
I'm really enjoying this show too but it sure scares me at times! Seeing the glowing eyes through the darkness...yikes!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
loloks like one guy has a wooden roof, just not sides. Yeah, I thought that having that fish can get you stalked, need a big fire with that around.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 6:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Another intriguing and spooky episode! That one guy who was hallucinating then the next day found the dead fish, how scary. I wonder what was in that water?!!

They all seem to confirm being 'alone' is the worst part of being in the forest.

I was happy for the guy who caught the salmon but it sure was spooky him walking to the net in the dark with a flashlight and when he heard that noise, all my hairs stood on end.

I love that it's filmed so near me, I live Vancouver BC, hence the island is called Vancouver Island. I'm used to the damp/wet/climate; really helps you stay young looking. lol

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
It's odd how very little camera time Sam has. He's the 22 yr old with a pregnant wife at home. I love the guy from Ga he still maintains his sense of humor.

Florin

08-27-2006

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
Since they are suppose to film themselves I expect maybe Sam hasn't been filming himself as much as the others have.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
They could be holding back on showing much of Sam now because he ultimately lasted a lot longer the others. Meanwhile the guys tapping out early on get most of the face time now because after the end of their "tapping out episode", we never see them again.

The less men there are, the more face time each one will get.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Maybe. He seems to be the one most unfazed by it all. how are the viewers supposed to get emotionally tied to the winner if they never show him?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Someone taps out in just about every episode. What is it now? 6 Days and 5 tap-outs?

I think compassion from viewers will become a lot stronger once those guys have been there longer and we get more face time from fewer men.

The young guy (Sam) and the long haired guy (Mitch?) and the older, grey bearded, seaweed eating guy (can't remember his name) seem to be in it for the long haul.

Ranger2

08-08-2008

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ranger2 a private message Print Post    
Those are my three top picks too sanfran. Now that mitch found his water source he's in a much better position. Sam seems right in his element and the seaweed eating guy....he seems to be doing fine too.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
In a funny way it gives you insight to the first explorers, with knives and not great guns working their way across the country into new and dangerous experiences, And they had the added stress of not knowing what animals were out there waiting for them. The mental stress, the loneliness, the constant search for clean water, fire, etc. as they moved forward.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
starting the third week and some are cracking. 4 guys left. I will say they are the resourceful ones.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Haven't read this whole thread yet, cause I just started watching this show yesterday. I'm about 3 or 4 episodes in, but I'm fascinated. I wouldn't last 5 minutes in that situation. I might be okay in the daylight, but as soon as it got dark, all bets are off.

I gathered from a comment made by one of the contestants that this was filmed last fall. That would give them time to edit everything for a summer show.

That part of the world is incredibly beautiful and teeming with wildlife, but very inhospitable to humans. Unless you have a warm, dry shelter, you're going to be wet and miserable a lot of the time.

I think the hardest part for most of them (besides building a fire in soggy, wet material) is being alone and missing human companionship, especially their families. When you're all alone for extended periods of time, no one to talk to, short on food and water, wet and generally uncomfortable in every way, of course your mind is gonna start messing with you. And then throw in a little fear for your life in the form of bears, wolves and cougars, and I'm surprised more of them don't lose it.

I'm fascinated! I think this show is much more interesting than either BB or Survivor. Gave up on both of those shows a long time ago.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I am assuming that the filmed conversation when they were rescuing that last guy by road indicated that the contestants have to call in every day so they know they are still up and kicking.

Sadiesmom, I think they only call in if they want to be rescued. They were worried about the guy cause he had called in and told them he was being stalked by a bear. They hadn't heard from him in a while, so they were concerned that the bear might have got him. Very scary stuff!!! I keep thinking about that nut who went up to Alaska to "live with the bears," and they ended up eating him and his girlfriend. Wild animals are not pets!

In a funny way it gives you insight to the first explorers, with knives and not great guns working their way across the country into new and dangerous experiences, And they had the added stress of not knowing what animals were out there waiting for them. The mental stress, the loneliness, the constant search for clean water, fire, etc. as they moved forward.

Exactly what I was thinking, too!!!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I also keep wondering what kind of a contract these guys had to sign to participate. There must be clauses in there about "you could be killed." Yikes. They surely have insurance policies in place to cover someone getting killed. Wow. This must have been a tough experience for their families.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
here is a cool video of what Mitch brought with him. maybe there will be a follow up of what contract they signed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=38&v=tSlnUsgbgBw

Mimi

04-30-2009

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mimi a private message Print Post    
With regard to the batteries for the cameras, one guy mentioned and recorded a grey plastic container that weighed about 18 kilos that they had to take with them. I assumed it was full of batteries, and the opera-singing guy mentioned he is not tech-savvy and hadn't recharged his batteries.

It was definitely filmed last fall. The bear scat had berries in it. Also there is no way they are still there. The whole of Vancouver Island is as an extreme fire rating and camp fires are not allowed. Our property on the island is tinder dry. No lawn mowers, no chain saws, no fires.