TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 03, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Alone - on the History Channel: Archive through July 03, 2015 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Looks like a new survival type show is starting on the History Channel. Each participant is in a different location so they are separated by mountains or water....and each man will survive (or not) all on his own. I read an article about this other day (sorry - no link) but it said that the prison guard goes a bit batty and makes up songs to sing.

Sounds like an interesting premise, but I wonder if it will stay interesting if there is no human interaction among the participants.

------
Alone
Series Premiere
Thurs June 18 at 10/9c

"Ten men enter the Vancouver Island wilderness carrying only what they can fit in a small backpack. They are alone in harsh, unforgiving terrain with a single mission–stay alive as long as they can. These men must hunt, build shelters and fend off predators. They will endure extreme isolation and psychological distress as they plunge into the unknown and document the experience themselves. No camera crew. No producers. It is the ultimate test of man’s will."

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/about

---------
History Leaves 10 Survivalists ‘Alone’ For Summer

"The series is in the tradition of Discovery’s Naked and Afraid, and CBS’s Survivor, except these survivalists will have no team, no partner, no producers, no camera crew, no celebrity host, though it appears they will have clothes — or at least a backpack.

Alone also will air as a synchronized global TV event, in more than 200 territories worldwide on History and other channels from the A+E Networks portfolio.

The competitors are separated from one another in harsh terrain to hunt, build shelters and fend off predators. They will face extreme isolation and psychological distress as they plunge into the unknown, and will self-document their experience, History said. Alone is produced for History by Leftfield Pictures."

http://deadline.com/2015/04/alone-survival-series-history-channel-1201410410/

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Sounds interesting. I'm a sucker for these type of survival programs.

Florin

08-27-2006

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 2:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
If you go to the history channel website you can see what each of the 10 men brought with them. They were allowed 10 items not counting their clothes. It also appears they are using game cameras to film with. I enjoyed it. One guy had a bear walk up to his tent that he had to scare away. Then the wolves started howling that would have scared the heck out of me. LOL

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
My bil's nephew was involved in the editing so we all have to watch it.ha ha. It was different because of the cold. No naked for them. And the rain was pretty bad. Fire is hard but at least one guy got it.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
This was actually a lot better than I was expecting.

When one partner taps out on Naked and Afraid, the rest of the episode it often a snoozefest. But on Alone, the isolated individuals still made for compelling TV...especially the guy who had two bears an inch away from him with nothing but a sheet of plastic between him and the predators.

Did you notice that one participant said something about it "could be a year" before he sees his little daughter again? I had read an article saying that this show was meant to last until there was one man left...even if it took a year. I discounted that because I also read that it's a "summer show".

But that one participant did mention maybe being gone for a year, so who knows. I would just hope if there are still a few men left by the end of the summer that they continue airing it until there is just one man standing.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Oh, happy to find a thread for this show. I just watched it last night and really enjoyed it. That one guy who howls to the wolves and played with the motion sesored camera is a chatacter. I was surprised someone tapped out the first episode. Looking forwatd to next week!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Sorry for the typos, im ising my phone.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"im ising my phone."

I hipe it gets better!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
LOL....so many typo's, so little time. LOL

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
They were also given bear spray.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
finally, another show tonight.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
never lose your fire starter - tattoo it on your forehead!!!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 9:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Just because they only show a show over the summer doesn't mean it could not last a long time...editing you know!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
holey moley - that was one scary show. I think it will be ending soon, only a couple of them seem comfortable and that can change in a minute.

Florin

08-27-2006

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 12:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
I agree I think I would have also left if a bear had come and chased me and I didn't have anything to protect myself with.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 4:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recommendation, ibwouldnt have known about this show if not for TVCH. It's really compelling. My favorite guy is the one from Ga who pretended he was Julia Child when he was cooking the slug.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Well, he has bear spray and a hatchet. But I guess he does not have fire.
Can't believe that one guy is building a cabin, he must be planning on staying a year.
I think it is interesting that some have tents out in the open, and others have buried them under branches with limited access. One guy complaining that he tarp was not water proof, isn't that why people put branches over their tent to repel water so only some gets through?
Mentally, I think some were not prepared as much as they thought, the whole "I miss my family" seems strange by day 6.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
And the occasional print on the screen says that these are experts in the field. I am concerned that these experts have been teaching others how to survive in the wilderness. ehehe At the beginning of the show, when they introduced them, they all were coaches of one group or another to teach others some wilderness survival skills.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Just because they only show a show over the summer doesn't mean it could not last a long time...editing you know!"

Doh! It wasn't until this latest episode did it occur to me that the filming has been over and done with for awhile already.

For some reason I started watching this under the assumption that they were still filming. I think maybe when I read that article that said this "it could last a year" my brain just just went with the idea that this show was ongoing. Had the article been honest, they would not have said this "could" last a year because it already did (or didn't) last that long. It "could have" lasted a year but putting it that way would be like saying that "it didn't".

I think I've just watched too many years of Survivor or or two much Big Brother or something. It was only today when I watched the latest episode that I realized that the very fact the men are doing all the filming themselves means it would've been impossible for production to obtain any of the footage until the challenge was over because there is no contact with the outside at all until they tap out!

Duh.

I don't think anyone lasted a year (or anywhere near that long)...it would've come out on the internet somewhere by now if two or more of those guys had been left out there for that long.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I thought they were only on Day 4 or 5 at this point. I was thinking only 4 days and they are already 4 men down.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well, if they are doing their own filming, I believe they have drop spots because it is not like then can plug in the nearest socket to get recharged. I think they must get recharged batteries at a designated location and drop off what they have already.

I take back what I said about this being a one of - they are recruiting for anther season. I think they was to do a woman's one as well, anyone here ready?

On another topic, I cheated and looked forward to see the episodes, Next week looks to be pretty scary again. The week after that looks like a lot of people get into trouble with the weather.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I believe they have chargers for their batteries. I recall I heard one guy saying, I don't know how to charge this thing. If they were supposed to go drop their batteries somewhere, he wouldnt have to charge it himself.

interesting sidenote - One of the guys has authored a series of survivalist books under the pen name "Angry American". Trying to figure out which one it is.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
That's sounds about right Karuuna....at least that's what they have aired so far.

I guess the big question is this: Is this series still being filmed or has the challenge ended and we are just watching what happened a few months (a year) ago??

If it is still being filmed then it could indeed last a year....and it could run way past this summer. However, it was promoted as a "summer show" which sounds like it will end at the end of summer.

I did read a different article awhile back before the show started airing that talked about one of the men going a little nutty talking to himself and making up silly songs to amuse himself. So it sounds like they already had footage weeks or months ago.

Now I just found this article that says:

"The series is in the tradition of Discovery’s Naked and Afraid, and CBS’s Survivor, except these survivalists will have no team, no partner, no producers, no camera crew, no celebrity host, though it appears they will have clothes — or at least a backpack.

Alone also will air as a synchronized global TV event, in more than 200 territories worldwide on History and other channels from the A+E Networks portfolio."

<snip>

http://deadline.com/2015/04/alone-survival-series-history-channel-1201410410/

------------

Now if this is a "global TV event" that is "synchronized in more than 200 territories" it implies that the filming is ongoing. Why synchronize the airing of the episodes if it's already in the can?

I have no idea whether this was filmed last year or is "almost" LIVE.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Karuuna...do they make chargers than need no power? Like some kind a manually hand cranked generator or something?

I know they make a solar panel device that you can roll up and carry easily in a backpack and it can charge a cell phone in the middle of the desert, for example....but there's not enough sunlight or wide clearings to capture a lot of direct sunlight on Alone to use solar technology, is there?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well if it is still going, then they are collecting film and possibly replacing batteries. But that wasn't my impression.

There are a number of options for the cameras... Multiple batteries, chargers that run on standard disposable batteries, and larger 12 volt chargers that could recharge the batteries many times ... Although those are fairly bulky.