TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 08, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: Sister Wives: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 08, 2014 users admin

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
Saw promo this wk-end where this show is coming back towards the end of Dec.

Beverleyc

05-15-2011

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beverleyc a private message Print Post    
I wish Cody wouldn't say that line about how love should be multiplied not divided because it just doesn't make sense to me. To me it always seems like he is dividing his love between the 4 women and many, many children. The only one who gets love or anything multiplied is him, the one receiving each person's full affection and attention. There's just no way he can fully give anything to any one person when there is all these other people in the background.
I think that if he can have multiple wives then each of them should be able to have multiple husbands but that would never happen because he seems like such a misogynistic, chauvinist pig. But that's just my opinion.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
Beverleyc, I agree with everything you posted. However, these women don't have the same idea of what a man/woman relationship should be. I would NEVER consider it "normal" or right to share MY man with other women! I would also never expect that he would have to share me. As long as they are happy with their lives, & they seem to be happy, who am I to judge.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think what he means is that love can be big enough to encompass more than one person.. in his case that includes four wives but works for a lot of kids, family, friends too.

Heck, after I was divorced and my ex remarried later and I met her.. I liked her and at the same time feel sorry, especially as the years have gone by and he's gotten crazier.. which I got to observe and later have heard from his sister and her husband. I didn't want any share of that one.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I divorced the father of my 3 kids after 13 yrs back in 1987 - the youngest was only 2 at the time. My 1st "wife-in-law": I tried so hard to like her........my 2 daughters (they were 16 & 13) did not like her - my son was only 6. She was 12 yrs younger than him, had 2 kids by 2 dif. men that she didn't have custody of. Well, after she basically took him to the cleaners, he divorced her. My kids were very happy.

X married wife in-law #2 9/16/2000. I absolutely adore this woman! She is everything + a stepmom should be. My kids all love her! Know what, so do I!

BUT, I am not interested in "her" husband for anything more than trying to be friends because of our 3 kids.

I was once involved with/married to her husband. My X & I are not close because we don't have to be. We are considerate of each other. I actually prefer talking to her instead of him....go figure.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Has the new season begun yet?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Texasdeb, I always admire people who can't be respectful of their former spouses for the sake of their kids. If your ex's current wife is good to your kids, what more could you ask for? That's great!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Mame I don't think so.i can't find anything. I read where the polygamous famy with 5 wives and 24 kids got picked up as a series. It was a one hour special that was shown after Sister Wives.

Alwayzmovin

11-06-2003

Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alwayzmovin a private message Print Post    
It's My Five Wives and supposed to start 3/2014.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sister Wives starts 12/29..

Willwillbee

09-19-2001

Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 9:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
I have to remind myself that this family existed for nearly 20 years before becoming "reality stars" & I have to admire them for being as well developed as possible under the circumstances but I feel a mid life crises developing for some of the participants.

So the usual end results (that I've seen) to a mid life crisis is to either bust out & leave or lash out & withdraw. Implode or explode. I hope there's another option.

I understand Cody's desire for more than coexistence & the burden he must feel to be the referee & be a positive force for *so* many people.

I finally *got* the daughter's point of going to Utah (versus going to college in Nevada) looking for a husband but I didn't see the point of spending $28,000 a year to do it.

Surely she could have moved to Utah, worked for $8 an hour & done some night classes at a local community college. She could still populate her life with like minded people & got residency status in Utah.

Her goal seems to be a sister wife & although I'm sure it's possible to have a career & family, it's hard with a dozen stair stepped children.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 11:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm still watching repeat shows but was on twitter when the whole family was tweeting. They were all at Christine's watching together and commenting and all seemed to be having a great time.

And Mariah was working in Vegas, so I imagine she would be working in Utah as well.

Anyway, looking forward to the new episodes.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I too "get" now why Mariha wants to go to Utah. She seems more eager to surround herself w/other young folks that were raised similar to her than to get an education. If finding a husband & becoming a sister wife are at the top of her to do list, then - go to Utah & work for a yr or 2 & see what happens. I don't think the "family" should feel obligated to shell out so much more $$ for her education than they are paying for others. They have so many that are either already in college or will be entering college within the next few years. There are 17 kidos in that family & if they indeed want to feel as one big happy family, all of these 17 kidos have to be treated equally. Just because Meri only has 1 kid shouldn't allow her to get 6 times as much monitary consideration as Janelle's & Christina's kids.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, December 30, 2013 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My thought is that if Meri wants to send her to an expensive school then Meri needs to get a job outside of the home and pay for it.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, December 30, 2013 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Amen Roxie ! I agree, Meri and her daughter are such drama queens. It's a wonder the daughter is interested in plural marriage..

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, December 30, 2013 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Mariah has a sense of entitlement which is all Meris fault. For once Kody was being responsible by not wanting to acquire a mountain of debt and suggesting that perhaps Meri could use some of her own money to send Mariah to the school of her choice. His advice was not well received. I think as soon as this series is done,Janelle is out of there. Run Janelle run.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, December 30, 2013 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Lake I was wondering about Janelle, she looked unhappy during that meeting. She certainly won't need a divorce as technically she is one of 3 single mom's .
Cody still burns me up driving around Ina small car like he has no family and is a single man.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, December 30, 2013 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
Janelle would be the most likely to be able to make it on her own. And, she is & has always been my fav. with Christine coming in 2nd. I like Janelle & Christine's kidos the best too. I still wander about child support for Robyn's 3 kids from her 1st marriage.

It just seems like Meri has some kind of control (for lack of a better word) over Robyn that she has never had with Janelle & Christine. Robyn does seem really sweet & appreciative & would not ever do anything to alienate Meri, even at the cost of alienating Janelle & Christine.

"Meri & her daughter are such drama queens." "Mariah has a sense of entitlement which is all Meri's fault." Gosh, I couldn't agree with these statements more! Meri could easily be responsible for the failure, or success of this family.

I actually feel for Kody. His biggest obstacle is his 1st & only legal wife. He has got to get a handle on this major issue or he will never have the big "happy" family that he so desires.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, December 30, 2013 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Wow..

In their tweets they did say that some of the time they looked unhappy they had been filming for hours.

I was interested in the grandmothers.. didn't need all the drama of Kody going on and on about "I won't say which one I like least".. stop running your mouth, then.. it did seem strange that the four gifts shown were so disparate but perhaps he made it up with other gifts we didn't see.. I mean Janelle's sign wasn't much.. Meri's sign included family pictures, Christine's bowl was nice and Robyn's clock was clearly a more significant gift, but she may have less furniture and knick knack accumulation , who knows.

I was kind of surprised that brand new homes wouldn't have electrical capacity to withstand a full on kitchen of cooks.. that seemed pretty strange.

I still enjoy all of them more than so many tv families

But... .like with some other families, I have to wonder if the income source (and Meri may well be getting equal pay as any adult on the show) leads families, after a few seasons, to tend to create or stress drama more to keep the show going. I think it can be a real rock and a hard space thing.. they bring in money but their weak spots can be exposed, too.

And that may be another factor for Mariah.. not wanting the spotlight so much

As for equal pay for education, I'd want to throw in various factors like what kind of student the kid is, what are their goals. medical vs fashion design.. and Kody is right that so many people go through school and come out and don't use that first degree.. but I see Kody wanting to not value education and the wives all digging in, especially when it comes to the girls since the more traditional polygamist (or fundamental) aren't big on education, especially for the girls..

I didn't see all this angst when it was his oldest son.. heck, he didn't even know WHAT it was costing them. And that kid did get a car and is living in the dorm, even though close to home.

I'd favor saving money first as opposed to getting loans, too.

I will say that it seems like their older kids ARE working, not lying around playing games or texting (that we see). And entitled or not, they are pretty solid kids.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I was kind of surprised that brand new homes wouldn't have electrical capacity to withstand a full on kitchen of cooks.. that seemed pretty strange.

Sea, it's not uncommon to throw a breaker switch if you have too many things going on one switch. We have a relatively new house (not quite 7 years) and we have to be careful not to plug in too many appliances in one area at one time. It's a safety thing. Better to flip a breaker than start a fire, I guess.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well I've lived in old places and brand new ones and in the brand new one that didn't happen, while it certainly did in some of the older places. In the canyon, in a small house probably built as a weekend cabin, who knows?, we found that since the wall heaters (propane) just made noise and didn't generate heat, we needed space heaters but then found that we could only run ONE of those heaters at a time in the whole place (it was small but had a huge living room, two bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and enclosed former porch which also had electricity.

My new place had GFI in some areas and of course would have flipped a breaker if there was an overload.

The canyon house actually had fuses.

I guess with all the people they have and changes they requested, it would have behooved them to beef up the electrical system since they do tend to at times gather together for a meal, though apparently not as much recently.

Now, with all the hoo hah over the one daughtr's college, I was a bit starteled that Kody seemed unsurprised by the beginning cost of renting that venue for their family party thing. Wow. With their huge back area, they could have brought in caterers, even paid for another patio slab..

Maybe TLC will pop for that bill?

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I would bet TLC foots the bill for all events & their entertainment that are used for footage on the show.

Maybe Meri will be happier now that she has that friend that is also an empty nester. She can still be part of the big family but also have an outlet from them which IMO she needs at this time. She really is going through that empty nest feeling all alone & I do feel for her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
This was the first time (with that show) that I really realized what Meri was saying.. that she IS alone in the empty nest thing while Kody just sees Mariah as one of several older kids going off to school, but he has so many other kids around.

Christine and Janelle don't seem to be planning more kids (though I could see Christine adding on since she seems to really prefer the stay at home mom role) and of course there are years to go but at some point, Robyn may have the only kids at home and you can see how Kody might be there more (or less, who knows)..

With the shared house that was less of an issue.

Anyway I have more compassion for Meri's situation than I did, though I have always liked her.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
That also made it a lot more clear for me, too, Sea. I really felt for Meri. I, too, have an only child, one who was hoped for many, many years before he arrived. It will break my heart the day he leaves home.

I was talking with a friend from high school who has never married about a mutual friend of ours whose only son went off to college--clear across the country, no less--this past fall. I was talking about how hard it must be for Kim, since her son was conceived after 5 or 6 miscarriages. He's very precious to her, and it must be very hard to let him go. My friend who's never married said, "But isn't that what kids are supposed to do? They grow up and move away?" I'm still astounded by the heartlessness of that statement. She just doesn't get it. I don't think any of Meri's sister wives (or Kody) get it either.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I can sure undersatand that but not all of us who never had kids chose to have it that way, many reasons, of course and so it probably seems better to have had them than not at all.. or.. if she never wanted them at all, she may just not understand.

And there of course is a letting go process that in some cases is so much more wrenching.. and with Meri it seems that Mariah really doesn't see any future in Nevada so she really could be forever distant.

and their move took them away from all the grandparents too.. imagine how they all felt losing a whole raft of grandkids .. I'm not clear if any of the adults in the Brown family have siblings who also are in plural marriage so this was probably the biggest group of grandkids.

It really was a drastic move, but I do understand the fear that Kody could have been arrested and that some of them had actual experience with family being broken apart.

Sorry.. rambling here but for some reason some things just became more real for me in their situation. They are actually amazingly functional, considering.