TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 04, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: Sister Wives: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 04, 2013 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I still like them all. And Never asked anyone if being on my own meant that I must have a house mate or alter my choices.

Meri May have become testy because she could see drama being manufactured for this show.

Sounded like Christine was under budget but determined to spend every cent of that on her rock facing, not lower her mortgage.

Janelle was just fine once she knew that Meri was not asking to have her overage funded by the other wives.

Kodi and the producers may have forced the group meetings and constant mention of the wet bar and his suggestions that someone should lower their price for another.

Gosh, no one is fretting that Kodi and Meri dare to have actual hair cuts.

And Meri didn't seem to mind driving all of those kids on their trip, even though only one was hers. Two wives had hotels.. things aren't always even.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Sometimes it almost seems like Meri is criticized because she only has one child, and it is my understanding that isn't her choice - that is just the fate that has been assigned to her. She seems to love all of the other children in the family instead of being bitter about her lack of more children.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Roxi, ITA: She seems to love all of the other children in the family instead of being bitter about her lack of more children.

I find that a wonderful characteristic. There are some folks in this world who look for reasons to feel slighted and bitter, thankfully she's not one of them - at least in regard to this important topic. And I think it behooves us to remember that in MOST plural homes around the world, the First wife is the usually 'most honoured' and generally has the most clout.

ETA, I'm not thrilled that Meri's home will be as large or larger, seems like a silly expense to me, BUT if some of the other kids want to, they have another 'home' to stay in, and eventually THEIR extended families. I see it ultimately as a guest-house, or a bed and breakfast type situation for out-of-town visitors etc. It may very well end up being 'the heart' of their 4 home setup. Which would be so nice, IMHO.

BTW, has Cody ever indicated with which wife/house he feels most AT HOME? Having lived in foster homes, I never felt at home in the foster homes nor at my mom's or my dad's. Always felt like a visitor and never felt like I belonged anywhere. I wonder if he has a similar disenfranchised feeling. Or maybe I'm just projecting.

Muffin

08-29-2007

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Muffin a private message Print Post    
I guess none of them realize that it is cheaper to put in your own "extras" than ordering them from the contractor. The contractor usually has to charge more for "extras" because he has to pay the builder a commission. The builder makes his money on the extras. My ex husband built condos and a lt of the profit were in these extras. All they need to do is ask for plumbing to be in the wall and then hire their own people to actually build the wet bar.
I guess the producers needed a story line for this season and some discord amongst the wives. Otherwise there would be no show. I haven't watched this season at all, I am only reading about their issues here.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Personally I also agree about the overly large size of the home.

I figure all of this is done to make "good television" - that which usually kills a show that has viewer interest.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Muffin, I have to wonder.. seems like most of the previews stress Meri's home, decision, etc and the reactions of others and clearly they filmed the people helping them pick their options telling Kody Meri was $200 over budget without upgrades BEFORE Meri came into the room so it was clear to her that they had talked already.

And yes, it could be more economical to get some appliances on your own, but Kodi seemed adament that they do it that way.. maybe to get them on the loans?

When I bought my first condo it was new and I had only a very old used refrigerator. The builder (it was a small complex) said he could get a deal and I paid him separately, not on the loan. I also had them deduct the cost of a microwave since I had one already and didn't like the placement they had proposed.

Then I ordered my own washer and dryer since they didn't come with the place. They were delivered before I moved in (since he was so far behind completing the buildings..) and then other people saw my W/D in the garage and were accusing him of providing them. LOL..

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 6:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
One of the reasons to get ones upgrades while building the house is to get the added cost into a 30 yr loan at a much smaller interest rate. Yes,it may be cheaper to buy the house with little upgrades and add on later, but any money that you borrow for the improvemnts will have a shorter pay back time and a higher interest rate.Plus many ppl will never get it done after the fact,some other problem or issue will always take presidence over the home improvemnt.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I was just coming here to say the same thing, Lakecat! When we bought our house 6 years ago, we put everything into the loan: washer/dryer, appliances, window blinds and all upgrades. I figured I'd better have the house move-in ready, cause once you move in and start paying a mortgage, there's not going to be money for a lot of "extras" after the fact and they would never get done. Our developer's prices were very reasonable (the fridge we bought was the same model and same price as what we saw at Sears). I just wish I'd gotten a front-loading washer. The price of your upgrades only increase your mortgage by a small amount. It was worth it to have everything here when we moved in.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
No offense, but be very happy you didn't get the front-loading washer, especially 6 years ago, because they were having major issues with the seal. I detest mine and will be happy when one day it conks out. Of course it doesn't help that mine is in the garage...in Texas...where heat and humidity can grown mold in the blink of an eye, no matter how hard you try to fight it.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
After all that, Meri was only about 5000 over and said she had some money to pay it. This seems like a trumped-up storyline. I still like Meri. I think she's just been going through a rough patch. Actually, I like them all except Kody. But it seems like their lives aren't too exciting so the producers make up drama. I hope they have another season. I want to see the houses.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm not a big fan of paying on a mortgage forever, but I can see wanting to just get everything right. Haven't seen Kody as handyman type (so far). Now if Matt Roloff was the husband involved, then, sure, don't have much added in or done because Matt has to have projects to do.

LOL.. it would drive more women crazy, but if Matt had several wives and homes, he would be in seventh heaven upgrading, adding on to each home.

I remember the first year (and subsequent years) when the Big Brother House had the front loading washers and the HG kept complaining about the smell.. at first I figured it was just the lack of hygeine in that group, but then it came out how you had to have the right detergent and work hard on cleaning, etc. So that stopped me from pining for that sort of washer.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
The problem is the seals that surround the doors. Water accumulates in the bottom and also around the sides and mildew grows unless you are diligent (and sometimes even despite your most diligent efforts). There is also a filter located underneath that can get especially nasty and if you look at the owners manual it says you have to call a service man to have that one cleaned out (you don't by the way). If you don't know about the second filter then you will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out where the smell is coming from.

I regret my pining.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
My 94 yr old grandmother bought one from Lowes 6 mos ago,its already broken and she says it doesnt clean clothes as well as traditional washers. They sent a service man to come out and fix it on *her* dime and now its broken again. As I was leaving her house on Monday she was on the phone to Lowes tearing them a new one. She wants a replacement,they say no way...my grandmother will get her way,shes a feisty one.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I also hate pining for something that isn't designed properly and thus they have the pedestals but they are a hefty price extra.. I mean, why not design a machine that cleans, doesn't harbor smelly yuck and is set up at a good height to begin with?

Oh, yeah, that already existed!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Oh, and another thing - the one that I have takes a long time to wash clothes. Now I have not found that my clothes are any different, as far as cleanliness is concerned, and I did notice that my water bill went down a bit after I got it, and when it spins properly my clothes come out incredibly drip free, which reduced the amount of drying time required, but in the long run I will not replace it with another front loader, but instead buy an agitator-free model. I was housesitting once and used one and it was amazing - it did all the things that my front-loader did and in less than half the time.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info on a front loader, I wanted on in the color red.I justified the " need" based on the age of my top loader which works fine. New flooring won out instead.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh some of those colors are so nice! The red and a couple of blues.. but unlikely I'd pop for a higher price for that.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well, I watched the season finale and then the grilling, er interviewing of the family by a woman who billed herself as a therapist.. SHE just couldn't let things go.. especially the wet bar and why would Meri want a child.

But one insight I had while she was basically saying that somehow Meri's wet bar was selfish in light of 17 children to put through college.. I thought.. hmm.. so Meri isn't supposed to have a wet bar, even though she was paying the overage (this all assumes they get the homes which hadn't happened at the time of the interviews).. but apparently she is supposed to equally share in education costs for her own child and 3.25 additional children (this assuming Robyn didn't have any more). So in the spending dept she should probably live in the garage of another home, but when expenses are caused by the other children, she's equal.

Anyway, they still didn't reveal the decision, exactly, on trying for another kid.. the woman implied that maybe Meri wanted a baby to get extra time with Kodi..

I could really see the TLC "need" to continue to stir up controversy for the show.

No news on another season that I know of.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Did you know that you can use metal paint and paint your existing washer and dryer if you want?

Redpen

07-24-2003

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
How about the new dryers? I have an old-fashioned dryer with the door on the front and my back hurts when I use it. I was interested in getting one of the new types with a pedestal to spare my back.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I know it can be done.. years ago in the first apartment we rented after I graduated from Berkeley when we were blindsided finding they didn't have a fridge in the place.. they did bring one in but it was just hideous (sort of small and hulking, with a huge decale of a corncob with legs and feet, wearing a concob husk hat and smoking a corncob pipe.. in an otherwise rather nice apartment.. the apartment was 80s gold, but we liked that, then.

So we found a used fridge and the husband had painted it, very well, a nice yellow.. but his wife wanted a new fridge to get double doors.. so we got it for a good price and hauled it off. It had a bottom freezer, which was really nice and it lasted forever, even after my now ex used a knife to defrost.. we had that repaired and he had it for a long time after we were divorced.

Now "me" doing that.. unlikely.. and if my old almond dryer worked, I wouldn't even be considering replacements. (though they will be 27 years old later this year)

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I really want to paint my washer/dryer. My washer is a wheat colored Maytag from 1970's with the crystal twist dial and works like a champ. My dryer is newer and we've already had to have it repaired. I'd love for them to match.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Escapee thanks for the info I did not know that. I really wish I could paint mine, but I would be mortified that I would damage the flooring with paint. My laundry area is on the 2nd floor between 2 bedrooms and it was cheaper to extend the laminate flooring inside this area vs having tile put down. I made a point of painting the walls before the flooring was laid and had the installers put pads on all 4 corners of both appliances to reduce movement and to add balance.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
What about colored contac paper stuck on there? That may work as long as where you are putting it doesn't come in contact with water or extreme heat. May be worth a try on the cheap.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
There is special appliance paint you can buy.