TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 31, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Deadliest Catch: Archive through May 31, 2013 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That's probably right. A couple of years of showing him how they want it done.

I loved the little montage they did for him at the end. He was so cute and bright faced when he first started. That giant boyish smile on his face his first day was enough to almost make Sig get sick....LOL

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I understood the same thing (from last week's show - haven't seen last night's yet). He said he had been offered a position where he would come in and learn the boat until the current Captain (presumably owner?) was ready for retirement, and then he would be the Captain of that boat. It is a great opportunity for him, and he probably could see that his opportunities on the Northwestern would be limited. I don't quite understand why he had to throw such a hissy fit though - he certainly needs to grow up a bit. He's had a few hard years though and he's still very young.

Hey, maybe in a year or so they will replace Elliott with Jake! YEAH!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, it was handled poorly I think. I think he had a lot of guilt over leaving the Northwestern after all the extra training they had given him.

And I kind of think Sig felt the same. It wasn't like Sig said "hey, you gotta take the opportunity when you can." Especially with Edgar now taking turn at Captain also, Jake had little chance of being Captain with them.

It seemed more awkward than it needed to be, but relationships often are.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
So he quit the season in the middle of blue crabs? Not the classiest move, IMO. After all that Sig had taught him you would think he would stay with Edgar until the end of the season...wasn't he the deck boss in Edgar's absence on deck?

Of course I haven't seen last night's show so I don't know the full facts, but I think Sig would understand him taking an opportunity to learn another boat and become a captain. After all, if Edgar truly steps up, the opportunities for Jake got very small very quickly.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
The King Crab season is over. Opies won't start for a few months (in sea time).
The job would be starting during Opie season.
I wonder if it's a boat that wants to be part of the DC family (and then we could watch Jake's journey towards becoming it's captain).
Last night as we watched his farewell we both had the thought that DC has really been about Jake's journey from greenhorn, to experienced deck hand, to getting his captain's license, including the death of his father (did they ever find his body??) to this. What a journey.

Boy does Edgar sound & have so many of the same mannerisms as Sig. Once Edgar came back on the boat last year (instead of retirement) Jake saw the writing on the wall, and he knew he'd have to look elsewhere if he wanted to be a captain. Just hard for him to leave Sig, who really was a father figure to him (especially after his own father went missing years ago).

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Kona, I vaguely remember reading that they found his father's body maybe a year or so after he disappeared. I kind of remember that they said they found it within a couple of miles of where they found the truck. I may have to google it to make sure I'm not confusing him with someone else.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Okay, I'm not going crazy. They did find him.

Jake's father

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I was almost thinking Elliott had done some growing up and maturing while watching the latest episode last night...but then he had to go and do the cursing and shooting the finger and boasting about how wonderful he was for getting a boat and being able to put together ONE successful season (due in great part to working with Junior) bit and he totally turned me off again.

I'm glad Jake A. finished the season with the Northwestern...gosh he looked so young whe he first came on the Northwestern! He really made the best decision for himself and his future and I think Sig and Edgar know and respect that, but just worry that he might be making this move too soon. It looked like it really was hard on Nick - isn't Nick his uncle?

He really has had quite a journey - between the death of his sister and then the disappearance and subsequent discovery of his father's body - it was a storyline all in itself.

Rough that the Cornelia's gear was all stolen. I pity the fool who did it if the collective crab captains find out...the Bering Sea is deep and cold! (Is it horrible of me that I'm selfishly hoping Elliott did it...I know he didn't but he just gets on my last nerve!)

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 8:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Roxip, my first thought was that the storage lockers were broken into by Jake. Josh's reaction made me think that. Druggies will steal from family just to get the drugs they need. Josh and other DC members have indicated that drugs were still a problem for Jake.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
You might be right - sad to say.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I had a hard time understanding Josh. Did he say that the storage lockers were kept unlocked?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I thought he did too, Lexie. Which I thought was really odd...

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I didn't understand that either...but perhaps for the most part they have an honor code.

Spoton

09-16-2005

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spoton a private message Print Post    
I am going to stand up for Elliott. He has put everything on the line. He bought the boat and has taken to heart the responsibility of all the crew and the debt and even keeping his father close. It was endearing to me when he spoke of how much his dad gave him and how the lost crab pot pails in comparison.

Spoton

09-16-2005

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spoton a private message Print Post    
Elliott also was faithful to the pact with Junior. Now there is a man with maturity issues (Junior, that is)

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Spoton, I have to agree with you there. Junior proved how untrustworthy he is with both Keith and Elliott.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Elliot is just upleasant to hear and watch. Junior is a separate issue, which doesn't make Elliot any more appealing for me.

He put everything on the line, after years of not doing so but continually boasting about it, swearing, etc., still isn't appealing. We get to see him narrating his own story on the show. I WAS happy that he chose not to berate his dad over the pot, but he admitted that normally he would.

===

Here's some info on the plundered storage lockers, but it doesn't clear up the part about not locking them..

http://on.aol.com/video/deadliest-catch--josh-harris-gets-devastating-news-517798256?hp=1&playlist=127164&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D320331

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
When he was talking about his dad and the crab pot was when I was thinking he had matured...and then he had to keep on talking and ruined the moment for me!

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I don't want to be so cynical, but with Josh H not having been to the storage units for 2 years, and Jake H out of work and still taking drugs for at least part of that 2 years, one can come to a conclusion that doesn't look very good for Jake. :-(

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I agree that Elliot is a jerk, but so is Junior.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Do they live in Alaska? I thought most of those fishermen living in Washington State.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Lexie, their interviews online say they the Harris men live in Washington. But when I picture what Jake could have done while broke and needing a fix, I don't mean he went and got the gear and peddled it on the street. I was thinking just a couple calls to the shadier elements around the docks could get the job done.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
After this season, NO ONE should be sharing any information or agreeing to work with Junior. Once this aired, they all could see how he played them and that he was untrustworthy. Totally burned all bridges.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 10:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, amazing that he pulled that on camera..

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, May 31, 2013 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I honestly don't think Junior cares what the others think about him - which doesn't say much for his character. He already had made an arse of himself last season with all that "legend" stuff.