TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 12, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Family Reality: Sister Wives: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 12, 2012 users admin

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Im sure Ill be in the minority here but I thought The Dargers were a little weird. I know The Browns felt sub par compared to them,but Im wondering how "with it and together" the Dargers really are. Im thinking Joe Darger might be a bit of a control freek and less than nice about it too. Believe me,I am no fan of Kodys but at least he seems to be open to his wives having some individuality. The Dargers children seemed alittle off put by Papa Joe and the wives were alittle too perfect.As I said above,I smell a TLC Darger spin off.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I senced the same thing about the Dargers as Lakecat.

Meri's personality is looking negative to me this season. Maybe, she's gotten comfortable in front of the cameras & we're finally seeing the "real" Meri. I just love Janelle. All 3 other wives want as big a piece of the pie as they can get for themselves & Janelle is the only one concerned for the financial well being of the whole bunch. She's offering to even get the smallest home offered (3 bedroom) for her & her 6 kidos. Meri is just selfish in demanding a 5 bedroom with a wet bar. Cody needs to start wearing the pants in that family or at least with Meri. IMO, she is playing the role of the leader of the family. Meri is really spoiled & expects to be spoiled. Janelle is humble. Christine is somewhere in the middle. Robyn is grateful to Meri that she doesn't have to raise her family as trailer trash any more.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I don't know this for sure, but I know in all the books I've read, the first wife usually is the matriarch of the family and kind of the leader of the wives, at least it seemed that way. Perhaps that is why Meri feels this way?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I think so too Roxip. :-)

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Texasdeb said :

"Robyn is grateful to Meri that she doesn't have to raise her family as trailer trash any more."

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
When I watched this show with the Dargers, I recognized them from their book I read several months ago, "Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage." It was originally published as the "Adams" family, but I see they've come out with their real names. It was an interesting story. I enjoyed reading it.

I don't see Joe as a control freak, but he does have authority in his family. I didn't see that any of his kids were scared of him, but they certainly respect him. His wives also. That's the way it was in my family, and I only had one mom. My dad was deserving of respect, and he was the final authority.

Texasdeb, why would you call Robyn's family "trailer trash"? I'm sure there are lots of single moms out there whose marriages didn't work out, who are just doing the best they can to raise their kids. That doesn't make them trailer trash. I think she's happy to be a part of a big family and have a husband who treats her and her kids well.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Times-Three-Polygamous-Marriage/dp/B007MXBK4S/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354671007&sr=1-1&keywords=love+times+three

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I wasn't sure how to take the trailer trash comment either. There are many moms who are struggling to make ends meet, whether they live in trailers or not. This does not make them trash.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
didn't mean to be offensive about the "trailer trash" comment......they did show a clipping of Robyn giving a testament as to how her life was before becoming part of the Brown family & they did show her old trailer house that her & her kids lived in prior. There is nothing wrong with trailer houses & some are very nice. I actually rented a fairly nice 2 BR trailer home with a descent sized fenced in yard for a little over a yr back in the early 1990's. I wanted a house with a yard since I had a mini-weiner dog & I had a limited housing budget. I liked my rental trailer but hated the questionable neighborhood which was a trailer park full of rentals. I paid $450/m for this trailer. I'm 15 yrs now into buying my home & am happy that I'm not in that rental rut anymore. Renting is so expensive these days. My house pmt is only $600/m & there's a house just around the corner that rents for $1,200/m & it never stays empty for long between renters.

Anyway, sorry about the long post but I truely didn't mean to be offensive with my comment.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 10:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
It's all good! We you, Texasdeb!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Down here in Texas "trailer trash" is a term used pretty commonly, most often in a humorous context. I personally referred to myself as "trailer trash" when I lived in a trailer for 3 months in-between houses (my ex lived in the other end, our daughter and I moved in...there were drug dealers in the trailer next door, a motorcycle gang regularly hung out in the parking lot...it was definitely an experience!).

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I lived in a mobile home for about 3 1/2 years back in the early 80's up in Northern California (Redding). It was in a very nice park and we had retired people all around us. We were the youngsters of the neighborhood. I always thought trailer trash referred to the person's lifestyle (no class), rather than where they lived. Robyn lived in that awful trailer with no heat, cause it was all she could afford for her kids. Apparently her ex was giving her no support, so she was doing the best she could to keep a roof over their heads. I wouldn't fault her for that. I can see how she would have felt "rescued" by the Browns, but I wouldn't call her trailer trash.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Out here the ground rents in most mobilhome parks are sort of eye popping to me. I couldn't afford to live in many of them, even if the actual mobilhome was a reasonable buy. Boggles the mind.

Not that I'm all THAT smart.. I have association dues that could go up.. but I'm at $280 and that covers quite a bit, while a friend in a mobilhome park nearby.. people moving in now pay almost $900 a month! For space rent (which includes their pool and facilities, gardening for the whole complex but NOT for their own space .. and a whole raft of rules.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, do you mean modular home or mobile home? There is quite a difference.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Friday, December 07, 2012 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
Escapee, sounds like mobile homes to me. My grandmother lived in the type of place that Sea is describing and hers was a mobile home, a trailer park, there wasn't any trailer trash there that I saw. I think of trailer trash as more redneck type people, they might not even live in a trailer. I was not offended but I wanted to defend that I don't think Robyn was trashy in any way.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 07, 2012 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Most mobile homes these days are not mobil on their own.. when I was at Transamerica we called them all "manufactured housing" ..

Never used modular.

I just saw one today.. turning in to the park where my friend lives. I was heading in to pick her up so I got them to let me go in first. Picked her up and by then there were two trucks, each with half of the home in from the entrance, but we could get out. By the time we got back from the lunch we went to, they had both halves on the lot but not totally together.

But the parks are still referred to as mobile home parks.

Haven't heard trailer park used around here much, but when my MIL lived in one years ago they called them that. They still had big trailer hitches but don't think they really could roll..

But on Teen Mom, Leah moved into one and calls it a trailer, though it also doesn't look real movable either. But hers looks more like a boxcar with a porch and stairs .. not all the fancy attachments, porches, angles, pitched roofs etc.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
When I was about 8, I made the mistake of calling my grandfather's home a trailer. He sternly told me that it was not a trailer, that it was a mobile home. I think he was actually almost offended. I say almost because if I hadn't been a kid, he would have been offended.

It was in a very nice mobile home park in Florida. A small man made lake was in the middle. There park was super clean, spacious compared to other mobile home parks I have seen (not crowded, bigger lots), and had an age requirement to live there. I don't think any or many of those homes were actually mobile though. (I have been there quite a few times since I was 8.)

Anyway, maybe the reason my grandfather reacted that way had something to do with the term trailer trash.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I always thought if it had wheels it was a mobile home or a trailer. A modular home is entirely different in my mind. It is prefabricated but placed on a foundation. Of course a mobile home/trailer can also be taken off of its wheels and placed on a foundation...do I know way too much about this? LOL!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't think they bother much with the wheels any more. The one I saw delivered yesterday was in halves on two big flat bed trucks.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
The one I lived in had wheels, but they were stored underneath the "skirt." We had styrofoam skirting around the bottom of the home to hide what was underneath. It was brown and looked very nice. Kept it neat. Once in a while we'd get flyers on our door from companies who wanted to buy the wheels.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I'm glad that Kollene was able to see a different side to how a dad can be. She seems to have so much anger, I really felt her pain.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I think Lisa Ling did a story on the girl and her mother whose father left them to "repent".

Kody often times gets a bad rap but as far as polygimist men go,hes probably pretty decent compared to others.

1jetsfan

07-21-2010

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send 1jetsfan a private message Print Post    
As long as he is treating them with respect and not asking me to support them, Kody is OK in my eyes.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
Kody does seem to be a great father to everyone of those children. The 4 wives all seem to be great mothers too & not just to their own bio. kids, but to the whole bunch of kids. Christine really has a great bond with all of the kids & it's prob. because she was the stay home mom when Kody & the 1st 3 wives all lived in that 1 huge home in Utah.

All families will have their own issues. Most all of the kids seem to be well rounded & just like any good kids you would run into anywhere. The only one of these kids that stands out to me as being a little "different" is Myria (Meri's kid). Not that she's really "different", just a bit on the spoiled & sheltered side.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
And Maryria seems to be the only one of the kids so far that says she supports plural marriage and will be a sister wife in the future.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, that's why I said "sheltered". IMO, Meri has pushed her beliefs on her only child, whereas, the other wives have been more open with their kids on all of life's options.