TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 23, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: Deadliest Catch: Archive through May 23, 2012 users admin

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
it seemed very natural to my family the choices that the Harris brothers made. Jake Harris had been on the Northwestern during the famous Jake/Jake switch. Jonathan of the Time Bandit was Phil Harris' best friend, so Josh went there.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I agree. Josh is a lot more mellow than Jake so I feel like the Wizard group is good for him and Jake needs a firm hand so the Northwestern should be a good place for him.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Okay, am I the only one who will be in pure misery until next week's show and I find out what happened????

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I think I just figure he's going to be ok. But watching that greenhorn go down was very upsetting. I think Keith is so used to tuning out complaining greenhorns, that he didn't look close enough to be able to believe the guy when he said he can't go on. I blame Keith, and I hope he learned a lesson.

I was a little miffed that the opening scene of the show was also the closing scene.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
The guy didn't want to "go on" because he simply said it wasn't the life for him. He wasn't exhibiting any symptoms when he talked to Keith.

And in support of Keith, he has come through for his guys numerous times when there are injuries. He may be a tough boss, but he's very good when things go badly.

I'm finding it interesting that so many are struggling getting on the crab this season, and they even have reduced quotas. How many years has this been on and we have seen full pot after full pot from every captain? Wondering if this is more the reality, but it was more exciting for them to edit successful seasons early on in the series?

I want to see more of the Time Bandit, they haven't been shown too much.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The guy had been wobbling around the deck and in pain long before he actually collapsed. Yep, I still blame Keith for not pulling him.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
They showed all of the deckhands watching him wobbling. All's they had done was bash him as every deckhand on every boat does to the greenhorns. But he tried to quit on Keith 2 days before this happened.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'm not exactly sure how "when" the first time he tried to quit is important. Keith should have recognized how ill he was and pulled him before he collapsed. The guy was open with how his body was giving up, at least in his interviews to the camera.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
One last point until the next episode.

Keith forced this new kid to work until his body went into convulsions and they had to call in the Coast Guard. I don't see anything right about that.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Nobody can force another person to work. He could have just gone to his bunk and refused. We've seen that before.

I KNOW a ton of people don't like Keith, but I've sat here for years watching this show and think if I couldn't have been on Phil Harris's boat, Keith's was my second choice. He is much more likely to not make the men go out onto the deck during really bad weather (we saw him pull the guys twice so far), whereas captains like Elliott just don't seem to care. Even Sig Hansen tends to not care about the guys safety as much as Keith. Keith is an EMT, so he knows what he's seeing. I'd feel safer on his ship than any of the others

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I love Keith! He is the spitting image physically and personality wise of my husband's best best friend. This has nothing to do with not liking Keith.

Also, have you seen how Keith reacts when someone goes against his will? He will beat them into the pavement, literally.

And yes, Keith knows how to perform AFTER an injury occurs, like an EMT. It seems that sensing someone can't handle it on deck is the problem. Those are two different things.

Spoton

09-16-2005

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spoton a private message Print Post    
But if they pulled the greenhorns from the deck everytime they said they were too tired or too sore or too scared, greenhorns would never get trained.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I'm not a fan of Keith.

Having said that, it seemed like the arm pain and then subsequent seizure came on new, and had nothing to do with this greenhorn's previous complaints.

I do imagine however, that after getting reemed by Keith over the first complaints, that the young man was quite reluctant to complain again, until he simply had no choice. Not sure if that made any difference. He went downhill fast.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think that Chris is probably experiencing an acute anxiety attack. He was fearful of his environment, exhausted, probably dehydrated and as a consequence he had what looked to be a heart attack but I suspect is simply an anxiety attack, which I think can mirror a heart attack.

I really don't judge Keith too harshly on this one...the guy signed on for the job and he shouldn't be surprised at the environment he is in. I realize that the reality of the Bering Sea is probably overwhelming, but I think quitting and leaving a bunch of other people to have to do your job is a selfish choice...especially on basically your first day on the job. Sometimes you just have to overcome your fears and grow up and be a man. If you don't like it quit when you pull into port...not when you are going to be sleeping and eating and taking up valuable space on the boat for what could be a long time...this isn't a pleasure cruise.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
I've been reading around the internet about this and seems that the majority of posters think it was some sort of anxiety syndrome, too. The only number I could see on the monitor (they showed it for a split second) was his heart rate of 135 bpm. Other people have mentioned the muscle cramping as part of this syndrome, so it's probably a good guess as to what exactly is wrong with him.

Like I said last night, they showed pretty much all of the deckhands and Keith watching him begin to wobble, or at least that's what they lead us to believe. Keith jumped down from that captain's chair in the blink of an eye once the guy was showing very real and obvious signs of distress.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't judge him harshly on this one. I do think Keith has a bad temper and he needs to learn some self control. I still remember how he went after the cameraman one time and shoved him.

He just runs hot and cold for me.

But... I still just want to know what happened to Chris!!

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 11:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Not that anyone will care... but something about Keith that many may not know (which could explain his temper). Keith is the ONLY captain out there who bought his own boat and who has to pay for all the repairs all by himself. The others all got them handed down from generations above them, or like Elliot, are just hired out as captains. Keith spent years as a deckhand and he and his wife purchased an old Navy destroyer and converted it into a crabbing vessel.

I think he has a bit more pressure than most to be successful.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I thought Keith was a captain for hire and The Wizard was owned by a corporation. Guess I was wrong.

I think the captains whose boats got "handed down" probably have to pay for repairs too.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
You are correct in that Keith and his wife own the boat. I got this off a site called "Crabwizard."

Vessel is sold to long-time Wizard Captain, Keith Colburn

John Jorgensen and his partner Steve Soriano sold the vessel to Keith Colburn and his wife Florence in July of 2005. They maintain a close relationship with Keith harvesting John and Steve’s IFQ allocation, as well as that of a number of other IFQ crab holders, all by lease agreements. The Wizard is now working with another boat in the Alaska Crab Producers Cooperative.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't really care what his background or circumstances are. Temper is temper, and is always a bad thing. :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I agree that Keith's temper is an ugly thing to see and I think he should learn to control himself more, if only for his own well-being as nothing else. The scene last season where he pretty much attacked a member of the video crew was particularly nasty, and that's not the first.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
He was probably also dehydrated.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I don't know if it was anxiety, moreso than exhaustion and dehydration. The latter seems more likely.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 6:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Such an emotional episode last night. I was in tears watching Chris being airlifted off the boat as well as and Keith's and the crew's reaction.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 6:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Sometimes the treatment (initiation?) of the greenhorns goes too far. I was happy that the one guy said that if he could, he would apologize for being too hard on him. That crew hopefully learned a valuable lesson regardless of how serious this guy's issue turns out to be