TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 13, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XI: 4/11 - Top 7 Week (Singing and Results): Archive through April 13, 2012 users admin

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
I'm just now watcching my recording of Idol. I am totally appalled at the judges. What were they thinking? How unprofessional and disrespectful to all the other singers. Wow. I am speechless.

I've always wondered what their value was as judges and now I know...NOTHING!

Trini

07-06-2004

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Trini a private message Print Post    
:-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 3:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Didn't anybody think it was strange that Steven said for sure they were using the save even before he know which of the 3 was the bottom vote getter?

I thought it was strange because no way do I think they would have saved Elise or Joshua after how many times they were in the bottom already.

We have been assured over and over no one knows the vote totals except Ryan right beforehand, and now I feel that's a lie.

Maris

03-27-2002

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 3:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Naja, I remember two years back Randy admitted in one interview about a particularly odd elimination that the judges knew that morning who was being eliminated and they hadnt agreed. I am assuming that they knew yesterday morning that Jessica received the least votes and they had decided to use the safe card. Poor clueless Stephen blurted they were going to use the save and I am sure that there were moans and curses by the director when Stephen said that.

Since the audience and TV land already knew the save was going to be used Randy and Jennifer, always the ones for manufacturing drama decided to rush the stage. Jessica was obviously clueless about what they were doing and why.

Saves never work, Jessica will be going home soon. She will not win the competition. I believe that it will be between Skylar and Colton.

Skydiver6

07-21-2006

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Skydiver6 a private message Print Post    
I think they rushed the stage because Jessica had a blow to her ego and was in trouble singing. They knew it was affecting her and didn't want their favorite to look bad. So maybe they might think that their harsh criticism each week might be doing the same thing to Hollie?? They rip her and tell her she has to have more confidence and believe in herself and bring it yet how can she when they are taking her down each week? Hollie may go off pitch sometimes but I find her more appealing and interesting. She has such a wonderful voice if they just believed in her once then she might be able to believe in herself and bring it the following week. I'm not a Colton fan but I did think he did amazing this week.

I'm still shocked at how rude the judges were. What a slap in the face to the other contestants. I'm bored with all of them. They say the same stuff every week. I never thought I'd say I want Simon back but I do. Jennifer looked pathetic drooling over Deandre. And I thought Stephen was very rude at the end of Hollie's song when he did two half hearted claps and I knew Ryan was going to call on him first to say how he didn't like it and then Jennifer follows with "You look pretty tonight" which is really the kiss of death.

Bama_karen

12-01-2010

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bama_karen a private message Print Post    
I personally like Hollie. Colton is my favorite. Skylar always sounds like she is screaming to me an Phillip sings to fast.

One thing I will say about the judges, last year they were mean to Hayley, who was my favorite. You could tell Jennifer did not like her. At least she is nice to Hollie this year.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I like Hollie as well. I think she has talent and potential. She has also (unfortunately) done her best to listen to a lot of confusing advice.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
I like Hollie too and think she has gotten a bum deal. She needs encouragement and guidance. She has a great voice and passion for singing. I find her so much more appealing than Jessica!

I can see how Colton will be popular with the young ladies. He's good, in my opinion, just not exceptional or unique.

I do think Phillip is more unique and will find his niche in the music world regardless of whether he wins AI or not. He totally feels his music and seems to be in his element when singing and playing. I wish him well.

I wish Skylar well also. She is just not my 'cup of tea' but does well and is passionate as well.

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Jessica and Joshua going. Joshua screeches too much in my book and I think he is getting a false sense of his "greatness".

All the judges can go - too bad we can't vote them off! I do miss Simon. Always respected his opinion, as did the contestants, and he was always honest with them. I'm getting tired of Randy's limited vocabulary (yo, yo, yo) and Stephen's vague and off the wall comments. Blech.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I was pretty tired of Simon and Paula and I think Simon was tired of the show as well so I can't say that I miss either of them. I think that the current three judges are more likable and I think they do try but I also think they get carried away and lose focus. I like Stephen but for the most part he is incomprehensible.

They were going for drama and ratings with the whole Jessica act but from the point of view of the contestants (including Jessica) I think it was badly mishandled.

I agree about Joshua and Jessica going next. I think they are both nice people with talent but I don't feel any connection when they sing.

With respect to Jessica and Hollie, I think it is hard for young people to sing old songs. Sure there are some incredibly successful young singers out there but they aren't trying to sing songs that are usually older than they are!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Well, since this week was songs from the last 3 years they weren't singing old songs. Jessica is a marvelous singer and she did an amazing job on that song that she sang, but she just doesn't have enough personality...the intangible "it" thing. She might get it in a few years but right now I don't think she has it, no matter how they dress her.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. She doesn't have the X-Factor (OOPS! Wrong show. )

Seriously, she doesn't seem to connect with the songs that she is singing. I still think it is an age thing.

I feel bad being critical of her because she does have a great voice. However, as I keep saying, the best singer isn't always the most entertaining performer.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
The judges kept saying America got it wrong.. No we didn't. This is not a Singing Competition. If it were they would be the only ones judging it. This is a vote for your favorite singer competition.

America voted for who they liked. Who they would purchase music from. Personally I would probably buy music from Colton, Skylar, and Phillip. I would not for Jessica. She sings great but I have no connection with her at all. So, I won't vote for her.

I lost a huge amount of respect from the judges last night. Shame on them all. They should have just stood up and said the show is cancelled, Jessica wins, the rest of you go home.

They all get the "Waggle of my finger".

Skydiver6

07-21-2006

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Skydiver6 a private message Print Post    
Exactly Jimmer!!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I was hoping Jessica would go,I had forgotten about the save card.I think Holly is as talented as Jessica but she has trouble putting a song together,presenting it,if you will.I can't really get on the Reba Wannabe band wagon- I like Colton and Phillip equally but Colton wants it more than Phillip. Still,Joshua is my fav (I like all the screeching) and then Elise my second fav. She had me hooked ever since she covered Robert Plant.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Does it tick anyone else off when they say "America Got It Wrong"?

TICKS ME OFF, we are voting. If you don't like change it so America can't vote.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Oh well, if we get it wrong again next week they can't do anything about it. They made themselves look bad...they forget that this show isn't all about them.

I think Celine Dion sings beautifully too but I don't buy her music either. Just not my thang!

Maris

03-27-2002

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
they want someone like Vanessa to win beecause she has a great voice and is young enough that they can control her. She has no individual style, no real personality so she can be who they want her to be. Skylar cant be molded, Colton cant be molded, forget phillip he is still wearing his coed clothes, Joshua has his own style and so does Elise. They would be pushing Hollie too except that she is too insecure and might break under the pressure.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I think that Jimmy said it best when he said that Colton and Phillip are singer/songwriters. Then let's let them sing their own songs!

Jessica has a beautiful voice, no doubt, but who's going to buy her cds? Not too many people. Like I said before, give her a Disney show, let her work from there.

I still love Phillip. I will buy his cds. I will go see him sing. He's got talent.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Jessica is sort of a younger Mariah Carey and despite Careys record sales,I know not one single person who has ever bought one of her CDs.And it bothered me when Jessica kept saying shes worked hard all her life,shes 16 right?

Trini

07-06-2004

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Trini a private message Print Post    
:-) again, there is life at "at all my life" even at 16 may be she has been practicing and performing for this chance. :-) again.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
STUPID SAVE!!!

I don't like that this show is designed for America to vote for their favorite singers, but when we do the judges tell us we screwed up. I knew they would use the save, but it will only be a matter of time till Jessica is voted off again. And they won't be able to save her next time. And we'll have to listen to the judges scold us for being so stupid and watch Jennifer boo hoo all over the place. It's really insulting.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
Has this show finally "jumped the shark"?

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
The producers use the 'backstories' of the contestants to help us connect with them. Colton's backstory was that he tried last year and did not make it, then was asked to audition this year because he came with his sister..... there's also a personality, an 'it' factor, you feel like he has struggled for this when he sings. So, you connect with him a bit more than just someone standing on a stage.

With Jessica, I don't know her 'backstory' and do not connect with her at all. She sings great, but I would never ever buy any of her cds. There's no 'grit' or inner substance to me in her singing.

I go back to when Pia was voted off last year. They kept talking about her singing and how she would have a great singing career no matter what. Yes, she could sing, but I felt nothing from that singing. We have not heard anything from her since. If she released a cd, who knows.

Only a couple of AI winners have consistently produced at a high level (Carrie, Kelly). When they were on stage, their personalities shown through. I felt the songs that they sang and felt who they were as a person.

Having said all that, Jessica may be safe for next week, but I do not believe she will win AI this year. I see Colton or Skylar taking it all.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Here's a great explanation from MSNBC why Jessica was nearly booted by America:

The big thing is that, as Simon Cowell was wont to say during his tenure on the show, she’s being self-indulgent in her song selection. Jessica is picking tunes to show off, with this week’s selection of Jazmine Sullivan’s “Stuttering” as a prime example. It was designed to impress the judges, and it did so. But it was the least commercial of the seven solo songs performed Wednesday, and evidently the audience shrugged and moved on. They don’t want a master class in vocals as much as they want to be entertained.

I 100% agree. Good article. Here's the whole piece: http://theclicker.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/12/11170996-american-idol-judges-rush-the-stage-to-save-their-favorite-singer?lite