TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
I got a virus

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Feedback Forum: Report a bug, bad link or spam: I got a virus users admin

Bearware

07-12-2002

Monday, April 19, 2004 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bearware a private message Print Post    
Hi, not sure where to put this, so decided to start a thread and you can delete it or whatever if you want. Last week, (today is April 19) while in the Tests section of general discussions, I managed to download a trojan virus that my antivirus program said could not be removed. Sure enough, I cannot get it removed. I'm not sure what it is, because I'm not that great with this stuff, and I'm not sure where I got it exactly, but I DO know it was from one of the quizzes. I also know it keeps trying to access the internet, and zonealarm won't let it. I also know (3 things I know) that it puts popups on my screen in the middle of the night when I'm NOT connected to the internet. How annoying and a bit distressing.

06-30-2002

Monday, April 19, 2004 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
Bear: you may want to look in this thread. There has been an ongoing discussion about this issue, and in Drah's post you'll find two links to software that will help you remove the spyware that has been inadvertantly installed on your computer.

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/messages/9200/1354822.html?1081782894

Hope that helps!

NK

Max

08-12-2000

Monday, April 19, 2004 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Max a private message Print Post    
Sounds like ad-ware or spyware rather than a virus.

Go to http://www.ada-ware.com and download the free version of AdAware. It will scan your computer and help you remove whatever is causing this.

Worth a shot. Draheid might have another suggestion. :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, April 19, 2004 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Bearware, go over to the thread Moderator NK posted the link to and continue the rest of your discussion in that thread. This stuff is happening to lots of people from various sources. You might want to copy your question over to that thread, but you will find the tools you need to get rid of it over there. I see Mod NK posted a link to an April 8 post by Draheid which gives the download sites of two free spyware killers that should fix you up in no time.

Bearware

07-12-2002

Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bearware a private message Print Post    
Thanks all! I MAY have gotten it in control- guess this is a wait and see. If what I did doesn't work, I'll definitely go to adaware. Thanks for all the help.

Sunrvrose

08-13-2001

Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunrvrose a private message Print Post    
For some reason the last couple of days, everytime I'm on this site, my Norton keeps saying, every few min that it has deleted the backdoor trojan virus. Anyone else getting this?

ETA: The above link doesn't work anymore.

Draheid

09-09-2001

Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Draheid a private message Print Post    
Sunrvrose: Which 'Norton' is giving you this message and/or what exactly is the message saying? ie. Norton Antivirus, Norton Personal Security, Norton Firewall, etc. Any details would be helpful.

Aside from being curious what's giving you this message, I'm very confident there isn't any sort of virus on TVCH anywhere as I browse just about every area of the board every day.

Visit Lavasoft.ru, home of AdAware for a link to download the latest version.

Sunrvrose

08-13-2001

Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunrvrose a private message Print Post    
Dra, It's the antivirus. I have the latest Norton antivirus, my puter is only one month old. I also, unintentionally ended up with a spyware thingy that keeps popping up every 5 min.

Draheid

09-09-2001

Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Draheid a private message Print Post    
Sunrvrose: I also have Norton Antivirus running. I just checked the definitions date and they just updated yesterday, 9/17/04, and I have not had any warnings while I've been on the board most of today and yesterday. Is there a particular thread or area that you're looking at when the alert comes up? Can you give me more information about the specific alert it is giving you?

Buggles

09-07-2002

Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Buggles a private message Print Post    
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post but today my home page was hijacked. It went from Google to the Gay Rights page. FWIW I clicked on a link that Tishala provided in the thread early this morning, but have no idea if it was connected.

Another recent problem over the past few weeks is that occasionally my cursor will spontaneously start moving around on its own and various windows will open rapidly on my computer. There's nothing I can do to stop it and I have to shut down. It seems to happen when I am visiting your site.

A response would be appreciated. Thanks!

Draheid

09-09-2001

Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Draheid a private message Print Post    
Buggles: There are no known problems with the board, no reason that we know of that should cause your computer to act as you describe. I looked at the latest link posted by Tishala and was not able to see any potential problems from that site either. Have you run any adware/spyware scans on your computer lately? Do you use active antivirus software, especially while online?

I recommend using both of these programs frequently to keep your system free from Ad- & Spy- ware problems:

SpyBot Search & Destroy
Lavasoft's AdAware

Both of these links will open in a new window and take you to the home page for each program. From there you should locate the download area for the programs and download them to your computer. Once you have them downloaded, install and run each of them. Any problems they find should be removed by the program.

This might also clear up your random problems as well. If not, let us know. I would recommend posting next in the All Things Technical: Computer Problems? Ask here thread.

Hope this helps.

Buggles

09-07-2002

Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Buggles a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the response. Yes I have been using all of the stuff you mentioned.

I will say that I've since noticed the runaway cursor problem happens randomly... not just when I'm on this site. But I have never had my homepage hijacked before, so that was strange.

I'm not trying to accuse anyone here, just looking to see what's going on. I appreciate your taking the time to help. Thanks again :-)

Sia

03-11-2002

Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
HELP URGENTLY NEEDED ASAP. I have a newsletter to get out and I have procrastinated too long; now I have a bugged system!

Please, moderator/problem-solver, read my posts in "Is this Legit?" and "Computer Problems?" and re-post the answers left for me in Legit by Juju, Reko, Rissa and Babyruth regarding the *B*L*A*D*E*R*U*N*N*E*R* virus that I am apparently infected with, inserting asterisks between the letters of the virus name, as my p.c. will NOT load any page for me in which that virus name is recognizable. Thanks in advance.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, February 09, 2007 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hey Mods!!! That is exactly what I thought might be happening to Sia. She cannot read the help we left for her because any page that has those words will not load for her.

Um, anybody who has insomnia tonight and wants to do a good deed tonight, can do the same thing. Go copy out some of the advice from the Is This Legit thread, but disguise the references to the problem. Use b*l*a*d*e*r*u*n*n*e*r or something like that instead. YOu could call it Voldemort for short, he whose name must not be said.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, February 09, 2007 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
NEVER MIND. Sia has already been helped by several people, and apparently the problem has been solved.

Yay!!!

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, November 26, 2010 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
E

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: