TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Episode 2, January 12th

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Amazing Race: The Amazing Race XXXIII: Episode 2, January 12th users admin

The Amazing Race
The Amazing Race (on CBS)

United States -> England -> Scotland -> // -> Switzerland

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 13, 2022Kookliebird25 01-13-22  8:29 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Aw, sad that Taylor & Isaiah didn't make it back!

I wonder who they brought in to replace those teams?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I remember Connie from the first episode having a hard time leaving her kids. With covid, remote learning, etc. going on, I can see parents with young children making the decision to stay home.

I agree that the "familiar" faces returning could be those who had been eliminated. Still, with covid worldwide, it will be interesting to see how they handle traveling, interactions and so forth.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Do we know that both members of the teams did not return? I wondered if they might team up the single players. Phil did say something about familiar faces at the end, so it also could be previous teams.

TAR is my favorite show, and I'm very grateful that they figured out how to complete a season during these challenging times. Excited to see how they accomplished it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
One of the things I read was that they hired their own planes? So no more mad dashes/scrambling at the airport... which is okay with me. I like watching the challenges more.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
True, Karuuna, but scrambling re transportation is part of the race too.

Vsmart

02-09-2003

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
They will only travel to small towns in Europe without using any public transportation. The plane is chartered. Filming in the time of Covid.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Cast bios are set up for the original people, so add stuff if you find it.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's great, Dipo. Thanks very much!

Mitch300

06-02-2011

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mitch300 a private message Print Post    
Sam and Connie, Anthony and Spencer were two of the teams I was rooting for. That stinks. Sam and Connie I didn’t think we’re that strong. However, Anthony and Spencer seemed like a strong team. I know it was early in the race though.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I am so bummed to hear Anthony and Spencer wont be back.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I loved how they danced themselves to victory in this week's episode.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, January 14, 2022 - 8:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Another great episode. I’ve been enjoying all the teams.

It was ominous, spooky and somber watching the Covid-19 interruption play out. I’d forgotten it was originally referred to as the Coronavirus.

Disappointing but understandable that all the teams couldn’t make it back.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, January 14, 2022 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
there are chartered planes and a lot of driving. I am already eliminating people because of that. The people with no sense of direction while burning the clutch.

With this being on the air for so long, I would think buy now, people would have bought a stick shift to drive every day so maybe some people sis that during the break. It is always so frustrating to watch them struggle.

Ihad no choice in what I drove when my ex bought a corvette stick and then proceeded to borrow my car for weeks at a time. It would have been nice if he finished working on it. I had the added excitement of having the steering wheel come off in my hands on a highway drive and got a ticket because it was uninspected. but living on a hill with a stop light just before my block meant learning fast.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, January 14, 2022 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I was watching them drive the stick shifts and one thing occurred to me. Even tho I am very experienced with a clutch, having it on the wrong (right vs left) side might throw me. Made me wonder if for European cars the clutch is still the left pedal. If it was the right pedal, I'd struggle too if I learned here.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Friday, January 14, 2022 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, I was thinking the same thing. Are the pedals switched? Also, operating the transmission with my left hand, rather than my right would be troublesome.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, January 14, 2022 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Scooter, Yes!

Egbok

07-13-2000

Friday, January 14, 2022 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Okay, just catching up with all the posts. I'm so sorry to hear that Anthony and Spencer aren't coming back to finish the race. Bummer!!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, January 14, 2022 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I am also very sad Anthony and Spencer are not returning! It's a wonder most of them did.

I would have predicted that the Love Island couple might have quit the original race. So no surprise they were absent. Seems like they broke up days after the race got suspended.

If they bring back first teams eliminated, that still leaves 2 teams. I wonder if they have back up teams? It's so complicated... Bringing back teams.. let alone introducing new teams that didn't even do the first two legs...

I can just see Rachel Reilly saying, let's go Brendon! Lol

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, January 15, 2022 - 2:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I googled

Where is the clutch pedal in a European car?

The clutch pedal is found only in cars with manual transmission. The clutch pedal is located on the floor to the left of the brake pedal.

So clutch is in the relatively same position.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 15, 2022 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Apparently there are very few newer vehicles with standard transmission available in the U.S.

I assume it would come back to me with practice, as I drove a five speed to commute from 79-90.. And with traffic, that was a LOT of shifting. When I text drove before getting my Camry automatic, I kept reaching to shift and my left foot was seeking out the clutch. But I adapted.

Since that time, I took out my left ACL, eventually had that repaired in 2003, then in 2021 fractured left Tibia, then just as the fracture healed, osteoarthritis took over my left knee joint. So automatic transmission is best for me .

But yes, Going on Amazing Race. Study flags, practice standard transmission, work on cardio and stamina, seem advice on packing ultra light from long distance through hikers..

It will be hard if fresh couples come in and eliminate returning couples right away.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, January 15, 2022 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Until I got my Jeep (which wasn’t available with manual transmission) I always had a standard. So much fun to drive.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, January 16, 2022 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Inside of a European (mainland) car with manual transmission is the same as an American car with manual transmission.

Inside of a British car, where we drive on the left, the driver "pod" is just shifted to the right side, so right foot pedal is gas, middle is brake, left is clutch, lights left, wipers right. The only things that are on the "wrong" side are the handbrake and mirror, which are both then in the middle of the car on driver's left not right.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 16, 2022 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The shifter is still in the middle tho, so that would throw me... used to shifting with my right hand, not my left.

It did look like the cars they were driving had steering wheels on the right hand side? (versus the left hand side of American autos) So that would be all of the UK?

FWIW, also in my American made car, the wipers and the lights are on the left.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 16, 2022 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, the shifter would require new learning.

Lights on left, wipers on right in my Prius C, which I think was are in Japan (my Camry was built in U.S.)

Drive on left side of road: U.K., Japan, Australia, New Zealand

Um, looking it up.. Here is a map:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-that-drive-on-the-left

Interesting, fewer countries than I would have guessed..

163 drive on right vs 78 on left.

So the gear shift is the stickiest wicket, not the clutch.. IF the person is used to driving a standard transmission.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, January 16, 2022 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, gear stick on the other side too, but same action (i.e. same pattern for the gears, not reversed). You'd be surprised how easily the brain switches though, or at least it did when I was young. Maybe not so much if I tried it now, haven't driven in the UK for years.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, January 17, 2022 - 1:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
A lot more countries used to drive on the left until one by one they switched. From the 1920s until the 1980s.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Monday, January 17, 2022 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I don't know if my brain would switch, 1st gear toward me and up, would now be away from me and up, etc.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, January 17, 2022 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
When I was a kid, my Uncle let me shift gears for him for fun while I was in the passenger seat (yes I know that is questionable from a safety standpoint but this was many years ago in rural Nova Scotia). So I think I'd be good at it.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Monday, January 17, 2022 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Just spotted this on youtube. Watch the preview if you want to know about the teams that re-start the race: https://youtu.be/Rx3-hghpM68

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, January 17, 2022 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I just think of Matthew Broderick and the accident he had all those years ago. I would be chanting 'stay on the left, stay on the left, stay on the left . . . ' continuously. I know how to drive a stick but it would still be stressful to add in driving on the other side.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 17, 2022 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Tresbien, that is good news in my book!!

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Tuesday, January 18, 2022 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
That works for me, as well :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 18, 2022 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Oh, that is very cool! :-)

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Tuesday, January 18, 2022 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
I'm thrilled just to have a season this year, and I appreciate the creative planning and logistics that went into keeping racers and production safe in an ongoing pandemic.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Insert AR Names

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: