TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Viewership??

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Survivor!: Survivor General Information: Viewership?? users admin

Texannie

07-16-2001

Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 4:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
What countries is Survivor seen in? What's the international viewership?

Sewmommy

07-06-2004

Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sewmommy a private message Print Post    
I felt up to the challenge on only 1 cup of coffee (and thats saying something) I googled a bit and while I couldn't find the actual viewership, I did find this tidbit.

How do you say "pudgy gay corporate trainer" in Japanese?
CBS is about to find out, as the network has sold its original reality smash, Survivor, in more than 40 countries--although the show itself was originally based on a British series.
Leave it to us Americans to steal a good idea and sell it for ourselves. With buzz building for the January 28 premiere of Survivor: The Australian Outback, CBS has pitched the original series--featuring Richard, Susan and the rest of the tribe--to international networks including Canada's Global, Ireland's TV4, and Australia's Nine Network, according to Daily Variety. And, though few American shows are picked up in Japan, Survivor has even been snagged by that country's TBS network.
CBS' series actually was based on a concept first developed by Castaway, a British company that already licensed local versions of the series to a handful of European stations. As part of CBS' deals, the network says it's making sure Survivor won't compete with the Castaway-licensed versions.

Most importantly, the network's move is further proof that Mark Burnett's reality adventure is still a hot property
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,7683,00.html

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117792211?categoryid=14&cs=1&s=h&p=0
(had to watch an ad here, but these were some of the countries listed)
Other licensees include China's CCTV, the Mideast satellite platform Gulf DTH, South Africa's SABC, Mexico's Televisa, and stations in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and throughout Asia.

Both of these articles are from 2001, so I don't know the current viewer count
I think I might keep looking,
after more coffee.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL Sea!!!

Texannie

07-16-2001

Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Thanks. You did better than me. I have been looking and couldn't find anything.

Just working on the conspiracy theory from AR and trying to figure out who many countries actually saw Survivor! LOL

Ladytex

09-27-2001

Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladytex a private message Print Post    
I know that New Zealand gets it

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I know it is not the question here, but can I get some sort of extra points if I have watched Survivor UK in England? And how about if I watched Greek Survivor (in Greek) in Cyprus? How about if I watched multiple episodes of Greek Survivor without understanding a word?

Tess

04-13-2001

Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tess a private message Print Post    
Juju, I award you 500 bonus points for the Greek episodes alone. Use them as you wish....except in the exercise thread.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 6:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Major poins, Juju! LOL

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yay!!!

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
Outdoor Life Network has bought the rerun rights to the series starting right after the Tour De France ends....

R151996

07-04-2003

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send R151996 a private message Print Post    
CBS is about to find out, as the network has sold its original reality smash, Survivor, in more than 40 countries--although the show itself was originally based on a British series.

Wow, how soon are facts forgotten. Survivor is an offshoot of the Swedish reality series Expedition Robinson.

Spear

08-06-2001

Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 2:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
I think the article is correct in a sense, in that the rights were originally owned by a British company:

quote:

CBS' series actually was based on a concept first developed by Castaway, a British company that already licensed local versions of the series to a handful of European stations.

So I guess it's not quite correct to say that Survivor is a Swedish idea -- it's just that the first licensee to broadcast the show was a Swedish station.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Insert CA Name

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: