TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Richard Hatch

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Survivor!: Survivor General Information: Richard Hatch users admin

Texannie

07-16-2001

Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Richard Hatch arraigned, released, but will be tested for drug and alcohol use.
Richard Hatch was arraigned Tuesday "on two counts of filing false income tax returns," didn't enter a plea, and was released on a $50,000 bond, according to the Providence Journal, so there was little news there. However, the story about his arraignment does include some curious information: The judge "found that he was not a flight risk, given his strong ties to the state, which include his teenage son," but he "did order Hatch to surrender his passport, and he prohibited him from leaving Rhode Island without the court's permission" and, and here's the interesting part, "restricted Hatch from excessive use of alcohol and said he would have to undergo periodic substance-abuse testing." Is this standard procedure for tax evaders and/or nitwit reality show contestants who "forget" to report the money that 51 million people watched him receive? Or is there some information we're missing here?

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/

Kaili

08-31-2000

Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kaili a private message Print Post    
I was kind of wondering...is alcohol illegal? they don't seem very connected (tax evasion and alcohol monitoring??)

Texannie

07-16-2001

Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
does seem rather odd, doesn't it???

Karen

09-07-2004

Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karen a private message Print Post    
Maybe he used some lame excuse that 'he'd been drinking so much since he won his million, he was always in a drunken stupor and *forgot* to claim the million bucks?'

Cousin_jake

07-04-2002

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 6:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cousin_jake a private message Print Post    
Do you think he will be on the "Survivor Live" internet show this time?

Rslover

11-19-2002

Friday, February 18, 2005 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
No, the hosts are Jenna Morasca (starting next week) and EW's Dalton Ross. It is also only on once a week.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, March 04, 2005 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Hatch won't plead, will face grand jury.
A day before he was scheduled to plead guilty to tax evasion, Richard Hatch "backed out of his agreement to plead guilty to charges that he did not pay taxes on more than $1 million in earnings that stemmed from winning the hit reality TV show," the Providence Journal reports. Now, "the U.S. attorney will bring Hatch's case before a grand jury." Why exactly one would do this isn't clear, but since I'm not a lawyer, and am only an expert in media , it seems like a good strategy to get one's name in the paper again, or possibly to recreate the thrill of winning Survivor all over again, but this time in front of a new, grander jury.

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/
archives/survivor/2005_Mar_04_hatch_plea

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, March 04, 2005 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL at the last sentence and so true, I bet that is exactly the reason he didn't plead!

Kep421

08-11-2001

Monday, March 07, 2005 - 5:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
I think Richard's arrogance is about to bite him in the butt once again...

...some never learn...

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, March 07, 2005 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
A guilty party is ALWAYS better off with a plea agreement. And there ain't much gray area whether you did or didn't report $1 million in income. You pretty much either did, or you didn't. Wonder what's going on ...

Max

08-12-2000

Friday, March 11, 2005 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Max a private message Print Post    
Oh, I'm SO sure that CBS lawyers didn't specify in the contract that taxes were the sole responsibility of the winner. Come on! This guy can con a bunch of survivor contestants, but trying to con the IRS is a full's errand!

And I wonder what excuse he has for the $321,000 from the radio station?

Me thinks this shark has jumped, the ship has sailed, and the professor is not able to make radio connection!

Karuuna

08-31-2000

Friday, March 11, 2005 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Max, oddly enough, Hatch and his attorney were on Today show this morning and the contract did not specifiy that Hatch was responsible for the taxes. It only said that the winner would get "$1 million less any taxes due". That makes the language awkwardly ambiguous.

Hatch does have a legal point in that the contestants may be considered legal employees of CBS, in that they were under the control of the CBS for their time on the island. If that's the case, the IRS will have to pay employee share of FICA and medicare taxes on the mil.

At any rate, I find it foolish to believe that he didn't know he had to report it on his tax return. That's the part that smells like Hatch's feet to me. :-)

Maris

03-28-2002

Monday, January 23, 2006 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
The latest on the trial is that he maintains that the producers agreed to pay for the taxes in exchange for his keeping his mouth shut about the rampant cheating that went on in the game.

Jagger

08-07-2002

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jagger a private message Print Post    
I don't beleive a word that comes out of this guys mouth. He's a <el> and deserves to sit in jail. Stealing from a charity is as low as it gets.

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
Richard Hatch Found Guilty

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Well, either he paid the tax or he didn't and if he didn't he's guilty. Sentencing might get interesting, though - CBS's alleged promise to pay the taxes so Richard wouldn't tattle about the alleged food transports (I don't believe it by the way, although wasn't Survivor I sued by Stacy for generalized chicanery?) makes no difference for the purpose of guilt or innocence, but it could make a difference on sentencing. 13 years in prison for financial malfeasance is some craziness when there's a local priest who just got out of prison for molesting multiple children after serving only 10 months of a 10 year sentence.

The guy's clearly not a total dumbshit, and even the vaguest, obscure ding-dong knows not to mess with the IRS. I wonder what's really going on with him.

Dalm_dad

07-06-2004

Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dalm_dad a private message Print Post    
While I agree that CBS's alleged promise to pay may be raised in sentencing as mitigation, who believes him?

I think his reputation of being smarmy will finally go against him and the judge will assume Hatch got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. The feds take tax evasion very seriously.

Throw him in jail and melt the key. Personally, at least we wouldn't have to see him on stupid reunion shows. If only they could get something on Hawk and toss her away too.

Dalm.

Max

08-12-2000

Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Max a private message Print Post    
THe allegation that CBS agreed to pay the taxes seems to have been a straw man since they didn't bring it up during testimony when the jury was present, either when Hatch was on the stand or when the CBS rep testified.

I'm not sure how much they'll be able to draw on that during sentencing as a result. GAL might know. :-)

I think Mr. Hatch's ego ran roughshod over sensibility on this one and now he's going to have to deal with the consequences.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, January 27, 2006 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Contrast with Rupert, who told one of Colossus' salesmen he was absolutely not to reduce taxes on some recent signage purchases based on the charitable nature of parts of his corporation (he was likely entitled to reduction). Rupert said to pay the IRS every possible dime they could tax him up front because he didn't want them knocking on his door later. He said it in that funny, whiney, "whyawanndothatareyounuts" voice. Rupert seems to be in RL exactly as he appeared on television - humble, frank, thinking ahead and just trying to make his way through life the best he can (in t-shirts and beard, too). Richard came off on Survivor I as conniving, calculating and with a sense of entitlement. Maybe fame and fortune just sent him further down the path.

Max, taxes are between the IRS and the taxee, so CBS's alleged agreement to pay taxes makes no difference. However, if Richard really believed and had reason to believe CBS was required to and would pay the taxes, it may be mitigating. As I said, I don't believe it, but they can pursue the full scope of this in sentencing even though they were unable to in the guilt/innocence stage of trial.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Friday, January 27, 2006 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Rich is too smart of a cookie not to get the "tax payment agreement" in writing. Has he also got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale?

Kappy

06-29-2002

Monday, July 24, 2006 - 9:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Love it ~ couldn't have happened to a more delightful person!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, July 24, 2006 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Those Federal prisons are like country clubs! If I run out of money, that is my backup retirement plan!!

Sherbabe

07-28-2002

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sherbabe a private message Print Post    
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32468188/ns/today-today_people/?gt1=43001

Tvclubber

06-22-2008

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tvclubber a private message Print Post    
I saw him on one of the celeb-gossip shows (like Entertainment Tonight) last evening, before BB aired. He told the reporter that Survivor told him that they would pay the taxes for the winner because of "cheating" that took place during the game. He didn't elaborate about the cheating, just that Survivor said it would pay the taxes.

When I read that he was just arrested for being interviewed while on house-arrest, I couldn't help but wonder what is going on.

I know one thing that I would never take a chance on: Taxes. Pay them, pay them, pay them. Make sure your employer paid them in a timely fashion. If they weren't paid, pay them yourself. Don't risk a similar nightmare.

I wish we knew the full story.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
That is just crazy!

Babyruth

07-19-2001

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyruth a private message Print Post    
While I think he has an inflated ego and poor insight into how his behavior is self-defeating, I also think the powers that be don't like him and tend to single him out with being overly punitive. Just my gut reaction.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That story makes no sense to me. If there was "cheating" in the game, why would they pay the taxes of the *winner*? He wasn't hurt by any cheating. If they offered to pay the taxes for everyone, they'd all be in jail, right?

It just doesn't add up to me.

Holly

07-22-2001

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
On Inside Edition tonight, Hatch's lawyer claims that 'improper contact with the public' i.e. for calling into a RI radio station is what caused Hatch's re-arrest. Seems like something else is going on to me.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Friday, March 11, 2011 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2011/tv-news/survivor-star-hatch-gets-9-months-on-violation/?cmpid=FCST_tvnews

By MICHELLE R. SMITH
Associated Press

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Reality TV star Richard Hatch has ordered back to prison to serve a nine-month sentence for failing to pay taxes on the $1 million he won on the first season of the hit CBS show “Survivor.”

<snip>

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Insert CA Name

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: