TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 12, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Survivor!: Survivor XXXIX - Island of the Idols: Dan and how Survivor is presenting the situation: Archive through December 12, 2019 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well it seems like we still do not know what Dan was told, or anything to clear up this whole mess.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
. Sorry, double post.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Not surprised. When someone repeatedly does something even after he is asked to stop, there is no reason to think that he will not do it again.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Hmmm.....interesting.

I wasn't a fan of Dan or his touchy feely behavior that was clearly shown on the TV episodes and I had to stop reading certain threads here because a few individuals kept protecting him and it upset me that these posters wouldn't let it go. They just went on and on and on saying the same things over and over again in trying to convince me and others that Dan wasn't at fault.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That’s completely incorrect. No one here “protected” Dan. People made comments based on observations of what Survivor actually showed the viewers.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Jimmer. This is unfortunately a highly sensitive issue on which many people will project their personal histories. Many times in this subject people have claimed that I said things that I didn't.

As mature adults we need to be able to discuss this in rational, mature ways. And it's hard to do that because it is so touchy.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I was bothered by that as well, and also the assumptions that were being made about Kellee's background when she reported his bad behavior.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Then you were also bothered by something that didn't happen. No one defended Dan. Didn't happen. But that's what I mean by saying people see things through their own lenses.

And assumptions reign in these discussions. That's what people do here. Lots of assumptions were made about Dan also. And everyone else on survivor.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
It seems to me that one reason women don't report things is that people often don't believe them or they blame the victim.

I stand by what I said before. I suggested that we did not see everything that happened. However, others were quick to respond to my post saying that there were cameras everywhere 24x7 and that if something happened it would have been caught.

As I said before, Kellee may have exaggerated, but he should have never tried to touch her again. We don't know the whole story. We certainly do not know Kellee's history nor do we know Dan's. As I said before, this has been so over-hyped and over-analyzed and we have limited information about what really happened or their backgrounds. So for this reason, I don't believe we should be making assumptions about her past "trauma".

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I just read through the earlier posts in this thread and the thread for the previous week in question. Some posts were certainly defending Dan. However, it seems that many people were not defending him. I would be in that camp.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/kellee-kim-reacts-to-dan-spilo-survivor-removal/

“Tonight, on CBS Survivor, Dan Spilo was kicked off the show for, once again, inappropriate touching. While Dan’s dismissal has validated the concerns that I raised from the beginning of this season, I wish that no one else had to be subjected to this type of behavior,” Kellee, 29, wrote on Twitter on Wednesday.

Beginning with episode 1 of season 39, Kellee complained to Dan, 48, and told him that his touching made her uncomfortable, but it wasn’t until day 22 that production stepped in and gave him a warning about his behavior.

If something had been done about Dan's inappropriate touching earlier, maybe the next incident with the production person would have been avoided.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Let’s be clear. No one here said that Dan should continue to do things that other players found offensive. No one here defended sexual assault. I hope that no one would accuse anyone here of doing that because that is extremely insulting.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
What I saw and read tonight on the episode shown, made me feel relieved with having Dan removed from the game. He's gone.

Jimmer and Karuuna, let's agree to disagree. I won't be posting anything more on the Dan issue.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
If you’re talking about what was posted here, I’m not agreeing to disagree. I know what was posted and unlike what Survivor hasn’t showed us, I can see it here.

If you’re talking about what happened on Survivor, well we all disagree about things here on a regular basis. That’s part of what makes a discussion board like this interesting and entertaining. Seeing how others view the world.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 10:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
On a slightly different note, it’s interesting to hear that the players have significant personal contact with the Survivor production people during the course of the game. They must in order for an incident like this to occur with someone in the production group. That in itself is educational.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 11:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I think it is interesting that they have finally dealt with this issue that has been going on for many years.

Azriel

08-01-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 3:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Azriel a private message Print Post    
Look I’m not defending Dan, but I’m not condemning him because they have not given us all the facts. People are automatically thinking he did something sexual. He might have touched someone else’s hair or put a hand on their shoulder, we don’t know.

I’m a woman that has been sexually attacked so I don’t take accusations lightly, but I also believe that it’s not always black and white in all situations.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 3:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/11/survivor-host-jeff-probst-dan-spilo-removed-episode-13/

https://ew.com/recap/survivor-season-39-episode-13/

https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/14/survivor-inappropriate-touching-controversy-kellee-dan-opinion/

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 5:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Neither of your second two links work, Sea.

ETA: I fixed them.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
In this age of information and “me too” to have that short description as an “end all” at the end of the episode should raise questions. Is it deception? Is it a CBS cover up? Is Dan in a job where he knows how to “shut down “ talk? Oh and how coincidental that Weinstein’s announcement of settling for 25million.... it’s what gets me wondering

There is hours that aren’t shown cbs from day 1 had an air tight nda. Season 1 loser tried to say production does manipulate storylines, big brother fans don’t doubt it for a moment

Me too movement tried to empower the voiceless, but like those that are victims of bullying, it’s still a “he said, she said” world. Where the rich and powerful hold the cards

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 7:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Those are excellent questions, Reader. The ability of these shows to suppress information is concerning. Contestants largely sign away their right to communicate their feelings and concerns.

I’m not implying that anyone was sexually assaulted on Survivor (we don’t know) but I feel so terrible for anyone who has been a victim of sexual assault.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
I believe we perceive things from our perspective, our own history. We gather information and we interpret things based on what we know, what we believe... it’s kind of all around us these days. I mean truly think of the studies done in front of people, a “crime” is committed and they ask “eye” witnesses. It really reminds you everybody’s facts do rely on their perspective

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It surely changes your view of the world.

Speaking of how these shows manipulate and manage things, one of those articles pointed out that we didn’t actually see Jeff physically speak to the contestants about Dan. They showed him starting to speak and then cutaway and we heard but didn’t see Jeff speaking. We have no way of knowing if the contestants actually heard what we heard or if that was recorded later and changed in some way. Further manipulation?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
We also might be wise to remember that in our litigious society that Jeff and the Survivor production staff have to be very cautious about what they can say and do in the public eye. It is frustrating that we don't feel we are getting the whole story, but I am certain there is an army of lawyers trying to keep it as neutral as possible in case Dan or one of his accusers decides to file a suit against the Survivor franchise.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Egbok, I feel vindicated now that Dan is gone.

I didn't like reading how poor Dan just didn't understand how some women didn't like to be touched.

There was no excuse for what he did.