TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 11, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: This is good & easy: Archive through October 11, 2011 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, April 18, 2011 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sounds yummy CD - like a fun party appetizer/snack.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, April 18, 2011 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Needed something quick and easy, and cobbles this together tonight:

Sauteed 8 oz. of mushrooms in a bit of olive oil and butter, added a couple cups of medium shrimp, some basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme, some red wine and a bit of salt and pepper. When the shrimp was almost pink, I added a couple cups of chopped spinach. Meanwhile, I cooked up a pot of rotinni. Finally, I dumped the two together and added one can of organic, fire-roasted diced tomatoes. We topped it w/asiago.

So easy, so good - and we cooked and ate in under 45 minutes!

Serate

08-21-2001

Friday, April 22, 2011 - 5:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Country I have done that in my NuWave Oven with Pepperoni. VERY yummy. Very good in salads.

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Friday, April 22, 2011 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
Serate, I bet it would be good in salads, thanks I will remember that.

Serate

08-21-2001

Friday, April 22, 2011 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Country I happened onto it by accident. I love frozen pizza's made in the NuWave Oven, esp Jack's pizza. [uh not Jack my dog. Jack's is a brand name. lol] You cook the pizza upside down on a silicone liner for the first 15-20 min depending on the pizza [15 for Jack's as it has a think crust], then flip it over, take the liner off, and cook it another 5 minutes. The peperoni on Jack's pizza is on top of the cheese, and it would get really crunchy and good. So one day I decided to try it by itself. NUMMY! Then when I did it when Gracie was here, she dipped hers in ranch dressing. So I tried it and it was good. Then I thought, I like crunchy bacon on salads, why not this. & it was awesome!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I want the bacon cookie recipe.

Serate

08-21-2001

Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Here you go Sugar!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/melismashable/8-unusual-chocolate-chip-recipes

Serate

08-21-2001

Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Sugar it also gives the recipe for Chocolate Chip Cricket Cookies.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks.
No thanks to crickets. I have to draw the line somewhere, lol

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Tonight I had company and made the Barefoot Contessa's Perfect Roast Chicken. The best roast chicken I've made in my life! So easy, so delicious, and leftovers for chicken salad.

I used EVOO rather than butter on the chicken and added potatoes and extra carrots to the root vegetables--and placed all the veggies under the chicken in an uncovered le Crouset Dutch Oven rather than a roasting pan (I don't have a good roasting pan), but other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. Almost no work at all. Put it in the oven and did errands while it cooked.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Tried a new, super easy asparagus soup that could be frozen.

Ingredients:
1 lb. asparagus, cleaned and cut in 1" chunks (reserve some tips if desired)
1 sweet onion, diced
1-2 sm. potatoes, cleaned and diced
1 TB oil
1 TB butter
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
salt, pepper, white pepper - to taste
1 TB dried basil
1 qt. veggie stock
1 TB lemon juice
1/2-3/4 C half 'n half cream
2-3 TB Greek yogurt

Heat oil and butter. Saute onion and garlic until softened - 5 minutes. Add asparagus, potatoes and all dry seasonings. Stir and cook 5-7 minutes to coat veggies. Add veggie stock; bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute, steam or blanch asparagus tips if desired. I just put them in the pot at the beginning - no garnishing for this cook if it means another pot to clean! LOL

Blend softened veggies & broth w/immersion blender or in blender.

Can freeze at this point.

If/when serving, add lemon juice, cream and yogurt and adjust seasonings. Heat through. Serve in bowls garnished w/asparagus tips and grated asiago cheese.

Since I didn't make separate tops, this salad took only about 10 minutes of actually chopping/cleaning time, and was done in about 40 minutes start to finish.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, May 30, 2011 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I just found this GREAT recipe on the Food Network site, courtesy of Paula Deen.

Ingredients

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 cans (14 1/2-ounces) English peas, drained

Directions

Melt the butter in small pot and add the peas. Cook over medium heat until peas are warm.

It seems pretty easy, but I did read some good questions in the comments:
Come On! How do you open the can??? and do I use salted or unsalted butter????

Do I look like Michael Symon or something? Please post recipes that are realistic and not so difficult!!!!!!!
or this one:
Intriguing recipe. Too bad I didn't have any peas, so instead I used waffles.

I melted the butter in the microwave as I don't own any pots, luckily I'm pretty smart and remembered to take the butter out of its wrapper before putting the whole stick in the microwave. After ten minutes I opened the microwave door and liquid butter ran all over my kitchen counter. I quickly grabbed my waffles to wipe it all up and soak it in but realized I was actually using carrots which are in no way absorbent.
I do wish these chefs would be more clear. I think I'm going to try the second suggestion.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Monday, May 30, 2011 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Ahhh, Tish, that is funny really!
and I had a waffle indulgence about a week ago that had been playing in my mind for almost a couple months without breaking down....
Then one night in a fit of weakness I pulled out the dusty waffle machine,tidied it up and made one of the best 'weak moment' treats I'd had in ages.....doused with homeade syrup and powdered sugar...sweet butte...(I was so bad)... this is a rare thing and not somthing I do 'almost ever'.....but oh how scrumptious it was...... so until next time, I have my memories....lol

Butter and pea's....hmmmmm

One day I saw Paula Deen on the tv's at the gym and she was making her 'bread pudding'....having memories of my grannies bread pudding I stayed on the treadmill longer just to see the recipe....Wowzers....she used 'crispy cream donuts' for the bread...enough butter, eggs, sugar, and more sugar topped with powdered sugar.... I could not believe what I was seeing....but she is fun to watch 'for sure'....

Holly

07-21-2001

Monday, May 30, 2011 - 10:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I lol'd at this comment about Paula's recipe, which got 5-stars from the poster:

"It lacked something. I then realized Paula is from the South and must presume everyone knows grits or chitlling go with all recipes. Fortunately I'm cosmopolitan; I've been to the South. I added both grits and chitllings. It did take a little more than 10 minutes. My local grocer here did not have chitllings so I had a neighbor slaughter a pig and butcher same. I promised him some of the English peas. Thank you so much and keep up the good work."

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, May 30, 2011 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Holly, I literally got dizzy from laughing so hard at the comments. One was "this was a bit buttery for my taste but then I realized id forgotten to add the peas." There are so many hilarious comments it's worth reading a few pages.

And now I've gone and ruined a perfectly good thread. They're going to start throwing me out of threads like I'm Juju.

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 1:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Oh my! I've been laughing hard for a while now. Thanks for posting this, Tish. I needed a good belly laugh and just love this kind of dry, sarcastic humor. Off to read some more now.

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 1:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Here's another beaut: "Can I cook this on a Tuesday? There is no indication in the recipe which day the dish should be prepared! will it keep until Wednesday? I could have made it last Tuesday when I had butter but I have no butter now. Can I still cook it last Tuesday?

NB: I noticed that some people were having problems with their cans. I found I had limited success by staring intently at the can. I think it moved a bit.
I have drafted a letter to the manufacturers of the can of peas but I feel that if more people could sign the letter we may get more done. To add you name please follow the link below.

givepeasachance.ie/yes_we_CAN

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
LOLOLOLOL!!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 6:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
My personal favorite from Tishala's link:

"I was unable to open the cans, so I put all the ingredients in the pot and heated them, hoping to find an opener in the meantime. Well, long story short, my home was destroyed, my dog ran off, and the neighbors called the FBI to report me as a terrorist. Good news: What little pea scum I was able to scrape off the street was delish! Thanks Paula!"

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
OK, one more:

"This recipe was so easy I did it in bed!
Unfortunately I think one of the peas slipped under the mattress, and I've been unable to sleep since."

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
I bought some cute ramekins at Big Lots last night for a dollar each. Does anyone here ever cook in these? Do you have any recipes?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Made this Weight Watchers recipe yesterday and it was really good, much to my surprise...usually I manage to screw things up...

3 cans fat-free chicken broth
1 can rotel tomatoes
10 oz low fat velveeta cheese
2 pounds frozen California vegetables

Heat broth to boiling, add in rotel and cheese, allow cheese to melt, add in frozen vegetables and simmer until heated through.

1 cup = 2 WW points.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 9:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Map, I used mine all the time. Killer baked eggs mexican style, individual mac and cheese, pot pie eithout the bottom crust... A gazillion things. Depending on the size.

Rslover

11-19-2002

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 11:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
Deep ones for onion soup and shallow ones for creme brulee.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Roxip, is that vegetable soup?