TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 23, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Cakes, confections, cookies, etc.: Archive through June 23, 2011 users admin

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Lighter bake and berry blend made by Sunsweet makes AWESOME banana bread!

Zgoodgirl

08-22-2003

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zgoodgirl a private message Print Post    
Sugar, try half butter, half cream cheese? I always have to add some cream cheese to my frosting.

Gal, my family has always used my grandma's recipe but I don't have it on hand atm. I will try to get it from my mom. But I have tried chopped walnuts, raisins, coconut and dried pineapple (for a tropical taste), and I have even stirred in some peanut butter or nutella in the batter before baking. They've all turned out yummy. But I LOVE banana bread.

ETA: Also, if you still have too much bananas, just mash them all up, put them in a baggie with as much air out as you can and freeze them. When you feel like making it again you can just defrost it in a bowl of water.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Escapee, I will look for that - I told Colossus I would do my best to make sugar-free banana bread, the honey was a good start.

Zgood, thank you!!! I can get ripe bananas for nothing for the next couple of weeks and would love to freeze some for later use!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
GAL, if you were making "sugar-free" by using honey for diabetic reasons, actually honey is worse. it's CARB-free, not "sugar" that it would need to be.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Nope, not for that Landi Colossus just thinks honey is healthier than sugar.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
Add peanut butter and toast it in the morning...yum!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
you should try stevia then. much better tasting.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, September 24, 2010 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
GAL, I've got an awesome banana bread recipe that includes walnuts and chopped dried apricots. I'll dig it out this weekend for you.

And if you add choc chips, use the mini chips. They just seem to work really well in banana bread.

And Colossus is right, honey is better than sugar. You can also use turbinado sugar, although that will change the color and flavor (it's less refined than white sugar).

I never use Stevia or Hoodia or any of those other fake things. I think they are disgusting. I'll use honey if I can. If the recipe requires sugar, then I'll justify using it if it turns out it's not a huge amount of sugar per serving.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, September 24, 2010 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Stevia isn't fake - my mom had stevia plants this year in her herb garden.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 5:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Cost, are you confusing Stevia with Splenda?

Bookworm

12-18-2001

Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 6:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bookworm a private message Print Post    
Gal--I make banana bread for farmers' market and you don't even have to mash the bananas before you freeze them. When you thaw them out they will be mostly liquid anyway. :-) Just count out what you need for a recipe and place in a baggy, seal, and freeze.

Here's my banana bread recipe:
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2-3 mashed bananas
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 cup flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt

Blend butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add flour, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix well. Add dry ingredients. Mix and pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

(That's what the recipe says...I actually mix the wet ingredients, add the dry and mix, then bake at 350 for about an hour. I also double the recipe though and 45 min might be right for a non-doubled version.)

:-)

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, September 27, 2010 - 5:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
No Annie. I said "fake" cuz it's not sugar. I won't use any of the sweeteners. Agave, honey, sugar (although I only use cane sugar).

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, September 27, 2010 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I see. Wouldn't want anyone to think stevia is an artificial sweetner.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, September 27, 2010 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
GAL, I finally dug up my nana bread recipe. I highly recommend trying this one. The addition of the lemon rind and dried apricots add a bit of a tartness to the bread that is really delicious!!!

Sue's 'Nana Bread

1-3/4 c flour
2-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c shortening
2/3 c sugar
3/4 tsp lemon rind, grated
2 eggs, beaten
1-1/4 c ripe bananas (4-5 bananas)
1/2 c walnuts, chopped
1/4 c dried apricots, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Grease a bread pan and set aside.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Blend shortening, sugar, and lemon rind until creamy. Add the eggs and beat well. Add the bananas and mix well. Add the flour, in 1/3's, to the wet mixture, stirring well after each addition. Add the nuts and dried apricots.

Turn into prepared bread pan and bake for approximately 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few moist
crumbs.

Enjoy!

TIP: Use the tart California apricots (that are dried in halves) rather than the sweeter Turkish apricots (that are dried whole).

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, November 26, 2010 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Pumpkin Pie Cake recipe for Texannie, as requested! :-)

Pumpkin Pie Cake
(Sue Heim)

29 oz can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
5 eggs (divided use)
1 15 oz can evaporated milk
1 c milk (low fat)
3/4 c sugar
2 tbl pumpkin pie spice
1 pkg cake mix (white)
5 tbl butter, very chilled, cut into small dice

Heat oven to 350 degrees (F). Lightly grease 9"x13" pan.

In large bowl, slightly beat four eggs. Add canned pumpkin, sugar, and spices. Add both milks slowly and stir well. Pour into pan.

Beat remaining egg. Pour cake mix into a medium bowl. Add beaten egg to cake mix, and mix 10 strokes with fork. Sprinkle on top of pumpkin pie filling. Dot butter on top.

Bake 1 hour. If top gets too brown, cover with foil during last 15-20 minutes.

To serve: Cut into squares and flip over onto plate (so the pumpkin is on top and the cake acts like a crust on the bottom. Top with freshly whipped cream and a dusting of pumpkin pie spice.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, November 26, 2010 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
that sounds really good! thanks!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, November 26, 2010 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
It is!! And the best part is it serves a LOT of people and it's very easy to transport. You don't have to worry about the edges of pie crusts falling off. :-)

Happymom

01-20-2003

Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 11:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Wow that cake sounds delicious! Thanks Costa!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, December 03, 2010 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
It's really not a "cake" per se. The bottom 2" are pumpkin custard and it's topped with something that looks sort of like a crumble topping, that's about 1/2" thick. When I created the recipe, I didn't know what to call it, so I called it pumpkin pie cake!! LOL!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, December 03, 2010 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
sounds like a pumpkin versus of the southern classic 'dump cake'.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know if an egg free cookie recipe exists? My oldest niece is allergic and we used to make sugar cookies for the holidays. She is a lovely young woman now and I would like to make some cookies just for her.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
These are requested by my brothers every year (and there are NEVER any left over):

Christmas Sandwich Cookies

1 C butter (no substitutes), softened
1/3 C heavy whipping cream
2 C flour

Filling
½ C butter (no substitutes), softened
1 ½ C confectioners’ sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Food coloring
(may need a bit of whipping cream or milk with filling)

In mixing bowl, combine butter, cream and flour; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle. Divide into thirds; let one portion stand at room temp. for 15 minutes (keep remaining dough refrigerated). On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 in. thickness. Cut with a 1 ½ inch round cookie cutter. Place cut-outs in a shallow dish filled with sugar. Turn to coat. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork several times. Bake at 375o for 7-9 minutes or until set. Cook on wire racks.

For filling, in a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla. Tint with food coloring. Spread about 1 tsp. of filling over half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.

Yield: 4 dozen

Lumbele

07-11-2002

Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lumbele a private message Print Post    
Whipped Shortbread cookies
No eggs; just made some the other day and they melt in your mouth.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Wedding in SF last weekend.....not lopsided, although the pictures shows it is.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
One of these days, girl, I'll get to taste one of your fabulous looking cakes... One of these days! :-)