TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 11, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: An important reminder from your moderators: Archive through May 11, 2011 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Even the clips need a link, same with pictures, as I understand it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Hukd, as I noted above, originally they were suing over clips, copies of any material at all. They now seem to have backed off that stance, and are only suing over full articles. Also over photographs. But really, with these folks who knows. So that's why NO postings will be permitted from the Las Vegas Review Journal; or the Denver Post. Ever.

Technically, copyright law says you must get permission to use *any* copyrighted material.

However, I *think* at this point, that provided you:

Post the headline
Post the first paragraph (include the name of the newspaper or source)
Post a link to the source

I believe that would stand under fair use.

In addition, in the near future we will be investigating the procedure for registering an agent with the US copyright office. With this designation, we will be covered under what is know as the "Safe Harbor Act", and should anyone accidentally post something that doesn't follow the rules correctly, and we miss it, any offended parties are required to serve a "takedown" notice and allow us to remedy the situation before they can sue.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Ahh, that was a great clarification, Kar. I didn't understand that they were targeting articles from these specific places! I really should learn how to read...

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
FWIW, Righthaven continues to solicit new clients every day, so we may add to our 'bad newspaper list".

However, if you follow those guidelines for ALL articles for ANY publication, we should be on solid ground, even if that publication signs on with Righthaven later.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Wow. I am speechless as well.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
(pretend you see a clip art here of someone kicking someone else in the behind)

Caption reads....

"Stop messing with my message board!!"

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 3:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
Thank you Kar for all you do for us.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 3:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Oh how ugly! I'm sorry it's come to this.

But, I'm curious as to whether there are Blocking functions in place - or if it's reliant on Moderators having to catch the "bad newspaper list"

Like, if I post a link to my fav exit interview, they have a LONG web address. So I use a link function
"...\li nk{.....,fav site}..."

The Mods might not be able to see where the link really heads to. You never know where this smarmy outfit might be soliciting business. Thankfully, I don't believe I've ever posted from these bad guys. But I tend to post a lot of links, just want to make sure here.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Biscotti, if you follow the instructions above, YOU will have to be sure the name of the publication *appears* in your post (if you copy from the headline thru the first paragraph, you will almost always get that). If links do not have that identity, we will do our best to click and add.

But as a community, I would also ask (beg) of you to help police the board, in a respectful way. If you see something that does not have that identification, please let us know!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Wowsers....I didn't know we weren't allowed to post the 'whole' article. Sorry, I am guilty of posting a whole article but good about posting a link to where it originated from and usually naming the place too.

Will make sure not to do that again and hope they leave TVCH alone!

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
This reporter with the VegasInc has been investigating and writing about Righthaven for quite some time. Very anti-troll.

http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2011/may/10/r-j-owner-says-copyright-lawsuits-target-parasitic/

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
BTW - I'm starting a personal boycott of the RJ. Removing them from my twitter. If I can find a way to get other folks to do the same, I will.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So, they have to *amend* their bogus agreement, in order to 'make it clear' that they have the right to sue. And then they say, hey, judge, if that's not clear enough, can you amend it for us so we can sue people?

Really??

these people are a piece of work, that's for sure.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I'm doing the same here, Kona, with the Denver Post. They are the only game in town however, unlike LV, which has another major paper.

When asked why they aren't publishing any stories about Righthaven, they say it "isn't newsworthy", ie, they know it will bring them bad publicity.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 11:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
My post subscription was on hold and I sent them a note stating that it would likely remain that way forever becuase of this association. Never did like them. Loved my Rocky Mtn News.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yay, Brenda!

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Unfortunately, the only other "newspaper" in Las Vegas is the Sun. And that was absorbed by the RJ a couple years ago (it's all one subscription and the Sun is inside the RJ). After that we have the Weekly (alternative news) or online resources from our TV news stations.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Oh snap! The exact same article that was posted in here was also posted in Survivor Skills, verbatim, WITH a photo from the RJ. Available to non-members just by googling the topic "Rupert Survivor Gambling". Selective lawsuit???? They are soooo dead if this ever got to court.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think it's actually more incompetence than it is 'selective', they seem rather clueless.

Gemma120in2002

07-05-2003

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 3:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gemma120in2002 a private message Print Post    
Is this why we now need to sign in every time we come to the sight? I'm not complaining at all, it's just a new development. I'll be sure to post information about Righthaven on my facebook page. It's important to know that trouble is actively searching for you!

Gemma120in2002

07-05-2003

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 3:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gemma120in2002 a private message Print Post    
There is an article on Wikipedia concerning Righthaven LLC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righthaven_LLC

Pamy

01-02-2002

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 4:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Gemma, you can go to settings and have it remember your cookie..or something like that :-)

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 5:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Pamy, my settings have always been to remember the cookie, and I just checked and they haven't changed. So something changed here, on the site, to require a daily login. (And I need to do it both on my computer and on my Galaxy Tab.)

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
That's odd Costa, cause I have it set to remember me in cookies too, and nothing has changed for me.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
So, Denver Post is part of MediaNews Group. The Wikipedia article on Righthaven says their agreement is with Media News Group, . What about the other papers that are under the MediaNews Group wing?

My Google search on MediaNews Group reports a plan in Jan 2010 to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. So, they must just be letting Righthaven troll around like this in a desperate attempt to make money.

You know what? Every time I typed the name of that company (starts with an R) in this post, I had a bad taste in my mouth. It's become a dirty word to me. I think I'll just call it R from now on.

Now to go rinse my mouth with mouthwash.