TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 09, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: An important reminder from your moderators: Archive through May 09, 2011 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
TVCH is a non-commercial board, primarily intended for public discourse and discussion of reality (and other) tv shows.

Our policy has always been to fully protect the copyrights of publications and other entities, and to that end, we have always asked that material from other sites be fully credited, and originating links to those websites be provided.

In addition, as is the long standing policy of this board, you should provide only brief excerpts of articles, not full content.

We live in a litigious society however, and sadly, we have been targeted by a questionable company called Righthaven.

This company has a negotiated agreement with two newspapers: The Denver Post and the Las Vegas Review Journal. For these papers (and perhaps others), Righthaven searches out articles and photographs on the internet, then acquires the copyrights from their partner papers, and then initiates lawsuits against the websites with the potentially infringing material.

Stated damages are $150,000 and the transfer of the domain name.

For this reason, we ask that you absolutely and scrupulously NOT post any material from these newspapers. It will be immediately deleted.

As we review these policies, and to make it easier for us, please remind yourself of the following posting policies:

Always identify your source and provide a link to all material (articles and photographs) obtained from other websites.

Include short excerpts only.

And new:
no material from the Denver Post or the Las Vegas Review Journal, as we find this legal practice questionable, and we do not intend to further promote their publications in any way.

Thank you.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
If I can add here: this shady outfit (Righthaven) is currently engaged in litigation with DemocraticUnderground.com and, in all previous cases, judges have ruled against Righthaven (see here). The only thing they have on their side is a) the fact that fighting them costs money and b) that they have a lot of time on their hands.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Wow, that really sucks. Too bad I don't have a subscription to Denver Post; cause I'd be on the phone right now cancelling it.

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
How can they do this? I would think it's illegal. What if you quote a website that has one on it?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Tisha, as I understand it, in most cases, defendants have settled, to the overall tune of a half mil or something - several thousand dollars at a time.

The other option is to hire an attorney, but either way it costs you $.

Twiggy, there is some action now claiming that the assignment of copyrights for the purpose of suing is not permitted within copyright law. So, let's hope that is the ruling.

I did not understand your last question. What if you quote a website that has one on it?

Whoami, even if you don't have a subscription, please feel free to write a letter to the editor condemning these practices. :-)

Whoami

08-02-2001

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
It seems to me a site would have to already have a copyright. To create a copyright for the purpose of suing is ridiculous!

I don't know about doing a letter to the editor. I'll think about it. But you can bet your life I'll have an earful to say to the next salesman that calls me trying to get me to subscribe to them!

Taysmomcj

03-24-2008

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Taysmomcj a private message Print Post    
It's so sad that there are people out there that sue for sport.

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
I have no words. When people/companies let themselves be driven by the dollar to this extent, what can you even say? We all know it's wrong and I hope they don't get away with it.

Is it okay to even be talking about it here?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Okay, so are the local news TV stations tied in anyway to the CO newspaper that shall remain nameless? I wonder if we could get a "9 wants to know" type of story on the air about this and embarass said newspaper into backing off???

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As our posters, you ARE this community; and have a right to know. And we also need your conscientiousness and help in making sure your posts closely adhere to our policies.

TVClubhouse is its members. An attack on any part or any one, is an attack on us all.

I have been assured that it is okay to say what we have so far. When we need counsel, one of the firms that has already been successful in having cases by Righthaven dismissed will be ready. This law firm is well known to me for my own business dealings, and took on a case against Righthaven on behalf of a disabled, autistic young man in Denver.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2011/02/brian_hill_
autistic_blogger_denver_post_righthaven_lawyer.php

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Brenda, there have been a number of newspaper reports on it, such as the one above. Not sure if there have been TV reports.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
ITA w/ Tays: It's so sad that there are people out there that sue for sport.

Kar, I'm so glad you have connections with the experienced law firm. That's more than half the battle. Go get'em Tiger. You know we've got your back.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This is so frivolous!

I have read this whole thread 3 times, and I'm still confused as what exactly TVCH supposedly did wrong and is being accused of. Is it just the pasting of the article portions?

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
Is TVCH being sued?

That sucks!!!! We are a family here. I hate greedy people!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Originally Righthaven was suing based on portions of articles posted, their newest suits are based on whole articles; and in some Denver Post cases for photos.

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
but suing TVCH or other places? Is there a disclaimer somewhere on their sites that says you can't refer to it?

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2011/04/republishing_en.htm

A little slow to load but interesting reading. Indicates we have the law on our side (just going to take time and legwork to file a response, those ).

Whoami

08-02-2001

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
FYI, you can Google Righthouse and find a lot of interesting stuff on their shenanigans. Add a certain beloved message board to the Google search, and you might find some info on the lawsuit.

I'd rather not say anything more of my own findings, or add any links to what I've found, in case said beloved message board would rather not have too many details readily available.

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
I found the article. I can't post it. They say we we are a hobby site without advertising.
You are right Who..why give them more fodder.

Standing behind Kar!! There are always people out there trying to ruin things for people.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Please do not discuss the specifics of any litigation regarding anyone associated with TVCH here. Thanks. :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If TVCH has to hire a lawyer, please send me the donate link.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
So if a person quotes from an article, but not the ENTIRE article, and cites the reference, it's still o.k. to do so?

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Is it sort of like buying a Xerox copy of a winning lottery ticket and then going to court to collect on it? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole thing!

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
We are always told to reference our articles here. I think we have very strict (but fair, good, wonderful, fuzzy, and loving) Moderators to remind us!

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Monday, May 09, 2011 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Yes, I know that. But I'm thinking that they are suing over "entire" articles being posted, not clips from them. Just want to be sure what the real issue is