TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 17, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: This is good & easy: Archive through April 17, 2011 users admin

Denecee

09-05-2002

Friday, February 04, 2011 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
Costa, on the Poke cake recipe, wouldn't the cake just dissolve when you poor the hot jello on it?

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, February 04, 2011 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
My ex-MIL always made a poke cake with pudding.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, February 04, 2011 - 6:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
my poke cake recipe uses either sweetened condensed milk or hot fudge sauce.

Serate

08-21-2001

Friday, February 04, 2011 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Denecee - I make Jello cake with just half the water, but use half boiling, stir until Jello is dissolved, then half cold water or ice. Then pour it over a cooled cake. Never have put actual frosting on it, but when I want to be fancy I reserve about 1/3 -1/2 cup of the Jello mixture and let it cool but not gel up, then mix it with whipped cream or Cool Whip and "frost" the cake. When it's just for us I usually just put whipped topping on the pieces as we eat them. FWIW it tastes pretty good made with No Sugar Added cake and SF Jello.

JMM - That's what we've always called Poke Cake, cake with pudding dumped over. Cake with Jello dumped over we called Jello Cake.

Texannie - never heard of that but OH MY GOODNESS I'M IN HEAVEN is what I'd call your version!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, February 04, 2011 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
here's one that combines all the goodness!

Family Favorite Poke Cake

About This Recipe
"Needs only a handful of ingredients, including Milky Way candy bars and ice cream topping, for this yummy version of popular poke cake. It’s so easy, kids may want to whip it together themselves!"
Ingredients
1 (18 1/4 ounce) packages yellow cake mix
3 eggs ( or as called for by your cake mix)
1/3 cup oil ( or as called for by your cake mix)
1 1/3 cups water ( or as called for by your cake mix)
10 fun-size Milky Way bars, divided
1 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 ounce) jars milky way ice cream topping
1 (12 ounce) cartons frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions
Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.
Chop six candy bars.
Remove cake from the oven; immediately sprinkle with chopped candy bars.
Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, poke 20 holes in warm cake.
Pour milk over cake; cool for 10 minutes.
Pour ice cream topping over cake; cool completely.
Spread whipped topping over cake.
Chop remaining candy bars; sprinkle over cake.
Cover and store in the refrigerator.

http://www.food.com/recipe/family-favorite-poke-cake-174184

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, February 04, 2011 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
aaahh ty Mame and Jmm...Im going to get some this wkend :-)

Cool Annie! I figure this is the good and EASY thread so I dont want to have to make hm made pico

another ??? on the poke cakes..how many holes and how big? toothpick pokes or finger pokes....I havent had sex since November and all this poking is making me frisky! LOL

Serate

08-21-2001

Friday, February 04, 2011 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Lol Pamy. If you are using Jello then just use a regular fork and poke all over until you are tired of poking. The more you poke the more jello you get in the cake. I usually do rows that are about 1/4" apart. If you are using pudding then use the handle of a wooden spoon, or something equivilant. [I have no wooden spoons, but have plastic spoons shaped like wooden spoons.] I usually make my pokes about 1/4" apart, but my gramma used to make the holes bigger to hold more of the pudding, and made hers about 1/2" apart.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, February 04, 2011 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
ahhhh very cool TY!!!! only 25 more days til my hubby comes home!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 6:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Cool Annie! I figure this is the good and EASY thread so I dont want to have to make hm made pico

does defeat the point of the thread, doesn't it?! LOL

Holly

07-21-2001

Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 7:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
How HARD is it to make salsa?! LOL

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
well, chopping all the veggies does take more time than opening a can.
not exactly sure how my recipe became a debate between rotel and salsa, use whatever you choose.
the original recipe never even called for either of it! LOL

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
With my new immersion blender chopper it almost does NOT take longer. It is SOOOO cool! :-)

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
This isn't a recipe, but is easy. I have not done this, but if you ever need to wash a lot of potatoes, you can put them on the top rack of your dishwasher and "wash" them w/o detergent on the rinse only cycle. I would not have any dishes in the dw if you're going to try it. (That is the weirdest thing I've read in awhile.)

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Teach, but they ya have to clean the blender! which =more time LOL

LOL Happy, thats great idea if you need to wash lots of them!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'd have to wash the can opener - so it's half a dozen of one, six of the other. :-) I gotta' admit, I just can't eat the canned tomatoes (diced, spiced or otherwise) cold. I love 'em in soups and sauces, but my dips have to have fresh 'maters. Not sure why, but there ya' have it.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 7:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
this IS a hot dip

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Bwahahaha! With all the talk of rotel vs. pico, I totally got lost in the discussion. In that case - rotel it is!

Here's a good & easy way to get some canned tomatoes. Go to the Muir Glen organic site & sign up for their "tomato club." You can then get 4 cans shipped to you (free shipping) for $8. That's less than I pay in the store per can. I ordered two boxes!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, February 07, 2011 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
For Jello poke cakes, I use a skewer. And poke lots of random holes all over. When you cut the cake, you can sort of see the color as marbled. (A regular fork won't make it all the way thru the cake.) Be sure to keep the cake in the pan in which it was baked until the Jello sets, too! :-)

Annie, your recipe looks very close to the ubiquitous "Better Than Sex" cake!

I don't think twice about making salsa. I can whip up enough for a single serving in just a few minutes.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 07, 2011 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I use the back end of a spoon when I'm poking a cake...it makes big enough holes to make a difference. My favorite is the ubiqitous chocolate sheet cake (Texas sheet cake if made with pecans in the icing of course) - I always poke the top of the cake before pouring on the icing to let it seep into that rich chocolate cake...makes it danged close to brownie texture...YMMYY!

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
So, does anyone have some good sandwich ideas? Have friends coming for lunch next weekend and they have requested picnic food. (Not sure why.... think one of them have some sort of gift for me that must be picnic related.) I get stressed out having to fix food for other people, and haven't even seen one of these friends for years and don't know what she likes, so can't decide what to fix. Figured sandwiches are good, then can fix some cookies or brownies and some fruit salad and maybe some chips or something. Neither of them is fussy, but I am excited that they are coming, so want something they will enjoy.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'd get hoagie buns, then make a platter up w/two or three types of meat and two-three types of cheese. Then have tomatoes, red onions, lettuce, and any other toppings people might like. They can build their own sandwiches and leftovers make easy lunches for the week!

Serate

08-21-2001

Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Teach has a good idea. And if for some reason they do have a picnic in mind, it would be easy to pack that up and take it on a picnic.

Serate

08-21-2001

Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
You can make these unique cookies!

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
ewwwww........I can't mix chocolate chip cookies and bacon! I remember reading about one place that was selling chocolate covered bacon. I couldn't eat it.

I had actually thought about doing BLTs. Which is actually another one of my issues. I am going through a meatless phase, but figure my friends will want meat. Which I am OK with....but don't know if I will be eating it then. Maybe the fix-your-own will work best.

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
I just read about this online someplace and had to try it as it was easy and sounded different. Take pepperoni and place on a foil lined sheet. Bake in 350 oven for about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels. All the grease comes out and they are like crunchy chips. So good!!!!