TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 02, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: This is good & easy: Archive through February 02, 2011 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, December 06, 2010 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Potato soup:

Boil chopped potatoes and carrots in a mix of chicken broth/water/pepper.

Meanwhile saute onions in melted butter. When translucent, make a rou with flour (same amount as butter). I also mix 3-4 TB flour w/a bit of milk and dump that in. Then, add milk and some of the potato broth w/stir constantly until it thickens. Season w/white pepper.

Drain most of the water from potato/carrot mixture. Then, add in rou mixture, diced ham, and however much more milk or half and half you want. Season w/salt and more pepper.

We have this about once a week in the winter - DS loves it & always wants it really thick, so I often times add more flour. The potato broth mixed w/the onion/flour helps maintain the soup flavor though.

Another alternative:

In a large pan, saute leeks and mushrooms. Add veggie broth and chopped potatoes. Boil until tender. Puree (carefully if using a blender!) and season with white pepper, chives and salt. Finally, return to low heat and add 1/2 C heavy cream, 1/2 C buttermilk, and 1 C half and half or skim milk. Heat through.

DH also loves this, and the leeks/potato/mushroom flavors are delicious!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I think potato-leek soup is one of my faves. I would recommend using vegetable broth, however. (And personally, I wouldn't add any ham. Keep it vegetarian and healthy! :-))

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Hmmm. I've never used broth to make cream of potato soup - just a straight roux of equal parts butter and flour then whisked with a couple of cups of whole milk. Take out about 1/2 of the potato water, pour in your cream sauce and then gradually add back in some of the water and more milk per your taste.

If the soup is too thin whisk together more flour and water and pour into the pot.

Salt and pepper as you are reincorporating the milk and water. I don't clear the onions in advance, they go right into the pot with the potatoes to boil.

Red potatoes have the best flavor for the soup, IMO.

Oh, and you can cheese it to beat the band, whatever your flavor. Shredded cheddar on top is good.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Oh yea....I will love trying all the different ways! I'm trying to use the potato as a vegetarian alternative this time...one of the people coming is a vegetarian and another is lactose intolerant, so my choices are keeping them each in mind to have one that works.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I stumbled over a good recipe the other day...you take 1-1/2 pounds of chuck steak, lay it on a large sheet of foil (big enough to fold over and seal), pour a package of onion soup mix over the meat (and for those of you who are health conscious I am sure you could substitute your favorite herbs for this or even slice onions)(although next time I'm going to cut back on it...I found it a little strong), place vegetables on top of that (I used carrots, potatoes and celery), take 2 Tablespoons of butter and cut it in little chunks over vegetables and seal it all up in the foil. Place in oven at 450 degrees for 90 minutes. It was delicious!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Allietex, my best friend gave me the same recipe years ago...although mine also includes sauteeing jalepenos and diced green chilis...and she always uses Wolf Brand Chili.

She lived in Sitka, Alaska for a year and her parents sent her a case of Wolf Brand Chili...she made enchiladas and I think she made lots of friends!

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
Roxip, thank you for the chuck steak idea. I made it last night and DH loved it.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
You can do same thing with certain cuts of chuck in a crock pot. Don't need extra liquid. Crock pot is my friend.

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
Mine too Colordeagua!!!!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I love my crockpot. I almost bought myself a new one for Christmas...I just can't decide whether to go bigger or smaller...LOL!

I'm going to try the chuck steak one in the crockpot. Maplsyrp, did you reduce the amount of the onion soup mix? It really seemed a little too much for me but that just might be my taste preference.

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
Yes, I only used half the package. I also sprinkled mrs. Dash on the vegetables. I think I might be addicted to Mrs. Dash. LOL. DH bought me a new big crock pot awhile back when my old one quit working. I came home after work one day to a cold pork loin in the crock pot. The critters in the corn field got a lovely meal that night. I never realized how bad my old crock pot had gotten until i used the new one. It heats up in a few seconds and it's big so I can put two roast in it at the same time.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Maybe I should get one of each...LOL! There is only my daughter and myself, which would only require a small crockpot (mine is mid-sized), but then I have to take food to different events at church and family gatherings and mine isn't big enough!

Skootz

07-22-2003

Friday, January 14, 2011 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Skootz a private message Print Post    
Instead of onion soup mix, just cut up onions for the chuck steak.

I have done this similar also with onions, potatoes and carrots....it is so delish....hmmm supper tonight perhaps????

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, January 14, 2011 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
LOL...I'm such a horrible cook it always amazes me when a recipe turns out. So when I say that it is easy you can really believe it!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Which size crock pot??? I live alone. Don't entertain. I have three crock pots and use them all at one time or another -- 1 qt, 1.5 qts, 4 qts.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, January 14, 2011 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I would think the recipe I posted above would be fine in a mid-size crockpot...I did 1-1/2 pounds of chuck steak (which was three pieces). A small one would probably do just as well. If was about the size of a small sheet cake pan.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 31, 2011 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Tried a new soup recipe tonight that, while it simmers for 45 minutes, was quite easy to prepare. It's a recipe from Whole Foods (not that I've ever shopped there! LOL)

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

In a large pan saute 1 C chopped onion and 8 oz. (I used 12 oz.) sliced mushrooms.

When the onions soften, add 1 lb. of cubed chicken, 3/4 C wild rice (or wild rice/brown rice mix), 6-8 C chicken stock, 2 bay leaves,2 garlic cloves minced (I added mine w/the onion & mushroom). I also added salt, pepper, a tiny bit of ginger and some thyme. Bring to a boil, then simmer (total time 45 minutes).

Remove bay leaves and serve.

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Monday, January 31, 2011 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
Oh that Chicken Wild Rice Soup sounds good. I sure will make that one.

And to add some info regarding the potato soup, to thicken it I add instant potato flakes and that works great.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
WOOOHOOOO!!! I picked up my immersion blender. Now I need blended soup recipes - pass 'em on so I can play with my new toy. :-) (It's got a chopper, too, so my Pampered Chef chopper is now packed away!)

Pamy

01-02-2002

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 6:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Any ideas on what I can bring to a superbowl party this Sun? something easy
dessert or side dish type thing

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Black and Gold M&Ms

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Tortilla rollups? Flour tortillas, spread cream cheese, picante sauce, chopped olives (pretty much anything you like), roll them up and cut them into bite-sized slices...doesn't get much easier than that!

LOL...Dogdoc...I'm taking it you are a Steelers fan? My boss is from Pittsburgh and he bleeds black and gold. He and his family are going to the big game.

Panda

07-15-2005

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
Brownies are always a hit at our football parties as far as dessert.

Or sometimes we will just bring chips and salsa.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
LOL @ Dogdoc!!!

I hate tortillas in roll ups. I use lahvosh bread instead. Tortillas that are "raw" and cold taste awful to me. I also make mine with various fillings (turkey and cheese; veggies and cheese) and include much of what a regular sandwich would include.

For dessert, you could do a poke cake. You can make regular boxed cake. When it comes out of the oven, poke holes in it and pour jello (made with only the hot water) over it. Then frost and decorate. I've done football themed ones using the colors of the team I wanted to win (well, OK it was when the Chargers were in the SB). You could also just use a whipped cream topping and decorate with fresh fruit.

Or cupcakes? They are easy to make and easy to eat. You could go as fancy or plain as you wanted.

For a side dish, how about a 7 layer dip? Or a spicy black bean dip? Or deviled eggs? Or a cheese plate (with crackers and baguette; buy several varieties of good cheese and serve on a platter with dried fruit and nuts).

Pamy

01-02-2002

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
good ideas!! TY all!!!!

Dogdoc, I see you gave me a suggestion for something to eat alive to mimic what we will see on TV. Maybe Ill get a green scooper so we can scoop them out kinda like the will have to be scooped off the field.