TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 06, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: This is good & easy: Archive through December 06, 2010 users admin

Landileigh

07-29-2002

Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
since i started slow fooding it, my blood pressure has gone down. amazing the difference in salt content when you make your very own refried beans. oh and they taste better too!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I don't often buy canned food because of the high sodium content. Not that I need to reduce my sodium intake, but because I prefer to add my own seasonings to whatever dish I'm fixing. (I don't even EVER buy salted butter.)

I think my point was that many of the "quick and easy recipes" are only quick and easy. In this day and age, where Americans are amongst the least healthiest of all nations, it would be good to remember that you can have quick and easy AND healthy.

Annie, I can't start a thread if I don't have a recipe to stick in it. So I'll have to think of one of my quick 'n easy recipes and post it when I have a chance. (And I wouldn't dare ask you to give up your Rotel! Just knowing that you check the sodium content of everything else, having one little can of Rotel wouldn't hurt! LOL!)

Interesting that the healthy eating thread isn't in Cooking Corner. No wonder... never go to that thread. And skimming thru that thread, um, yeah, nope. Has nothing to do with what THIS thread is all about. Sorry.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Monday, February 15, 2010 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
tapping my foot waiting for Cost to look up recipes!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
OK, Annie, I started a new thread, WITH a recipe, HERE. :-)

Texannie

07-16-2001

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
good girl!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, March 19, 2010 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Tuna Casserole for Fish Friday

4 small cans of your favorite tuna
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons butter
3 cups milk
3/4 cup reggiano/asiago/parmesan mix cheese
1/3 cup cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup frozen, thawed peas
12 oz. flat egg noodles
Optional - bread crumbs, corn flakes or additional cheese mix for topping

Make a cream sauce with the butter, flour, milk, salt and pepper while the egg noodles cook to al dente (then drain). Let the cream sauce thicken for five minutes, then put in the cheese mix and cream cheese, stirring constantly while the cheese melts. Put the peas and tuna into the cream sauce and mix lightly.

In a buttered glass pan, layer the cream sauce mix with the noodles, mixing as you go. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, putting on any preferred toppings in the last 15 minutes.

VERY tasty and simple.

Chewpito

01-04-2004

Friday, March 19, 2010 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Yumm.... I love tuna casserole and usually just invent somthing.....but I will surley try your recipe...... Thankyou!!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Colossus asked me to marry him for the third time after he had some of this last night LOL. I mixed and matched a couple of recipes, and it turned out terrific. It will definitely enter the rotation of our regular meals.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Super-easy and delicious soup recipe (sorry about the canned stuff for those of you who are watching sodium content)...

Taco Soup

1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 can sweet corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 pkg Ranch dressing mix (dry powder)
1 can water

Saute meat in sauce pan, pour out any extra liquid (I use 93% fat free ground beef so there is rarely any extra fat). Add in taco mix, all contents of cans (including liquid) plus 1 extra can of water. Mix in ranch dressing mix. Allow to simmer over medium to medium-low heat for about 35-45 minutes (the longer it simmers the better it tastes). Serve over tortilla chips or fritos with cheese, avocado, onions, picante sauce - however you like to spice it up.

I have also sauteed the meat and then put all the ingredients in a crock pot and it is even better.

(And last summer I even sauteed and froze the meat, threw it in the cooler and carried my crock pot camping with me, left it on the picnic table (I'm too lazy to camp without running water and electricity on the camp site) cooking all day and had a hot, delicious meal ready after a day of tubing on the Guadalupe...it was divine!)

Debra

11-20-2003

Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Debra a private message Print Post    
Roxip,
I love that recipe! Thanks for posting it.

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
Roxip's recipe does sound delicious! To reduce sodium, look for sodium-reduced taco seasoning mix, sodium-reduced or no salt added diced tomatoes.

Also instead of adding liquid from canned corn and beans...rinse in colander. This helps remove most of the added sodium. (Also helps with beans other problem of causing gassiness. If you try this, you may have to add a little more than one can of water to make up for the loss.

I don't know if you can buy sodium-reduced Ranch dressing mix- but I found a mix on-line to make your own.

1/2 C. dry buttermilk powder
1 tbsp dried parsley, crushed
1 tsp dill weed
1 tsp onion powder, NOT onion salt
1 tsp dried onion flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder, NOT garlic salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

Combine well. Store in air tight container. (either a re-sealable bag or baby food jar, or similar)
Use 1 Tbsp to replace one envelope of Ranch dressing mix.

Hope this helps someone who wants to reduce sodium, but still wants flavourful, quick and easy recipes.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 26, 2010 - 6:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Those are great suggestions. The first time I tried this soup was at the home of a friend...perhaps one of the reasons that I love it so much is that I never make it without having great memories of the time spent together with some fabulous women - laughing, crying, telling stories and planning the wedding of the daughter of the friend.

But it tastes pretty darned good too, and it is one of those recipes that you can always keep most of the ingredients on hand when you need something in a hurry.

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Friday, March 26, 2010 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
Roxip...a lovely memory does make food even more delicious! I have many recipes that I have collected over the years that are connected to memories of family or friends who are far from me now, but brought closer by the food that they shared with me.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Our church did a cookbook this year (that I helped type) and the best recipes were the ones that had a story attached to it.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
We had lake bass for dinner last night, and I made this to go with it. My BIL and SIL liked it so much they were fighting over how much each was eating because the other wanted more. I left the bowl behind for them to lick when we were through LOL.

Cucumber Dill Sauce

1 cucumber very finely diced (but not in a food processor, use a chopping knife)
1/4 tsp each of salt, sugar and wine vinegar
1 cup sour cream (or 1/2 sour cream 1/2 yogurt)
2 tbsp dill (fresh or dry)
Garlic/garlic powder/or garlic salt to taste

Toss the diced cucumber, salt, sugar, dill (if dried) and vinegar together and let it sit for about five minutes. Fold in sour cream and season with garlic to taste (put the fresh dill in at this point if that's what you're using).

This is extremely cool and fresh tasting - can be a vegetable dip, sauce for your fish or even a salad dressing.

Maris

03-28-2002

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I went to a launch party tonight for Emeril's Red Marble steaks. Met the big man himself, got my photo taken with him but these steaks are delicious. I tried the rib eye and the tenderloin. The sides were awesome. They are a little less expensive than the Omahas steaks.

I was also impressed with his partners. He has partnered with Allen Brothers steaks which is a family owned operation and they were all down to earth, really nice people. All the meats they had displayed in the refrigerators in the event room were donated to City Harvest at the end of the evening.

They were truly delicious, check them out at www.redmarblesteaks.com.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Too cool!! One of my bookclub pals lives on the East coast and has worked as one of his crew on his Emeril Green show - she says he's down to earth, too. One of my most memorable meals was at his Delmonico restaurant in N'Awlins - unbelievable service and fabulous flavors.

The steaks look yummy!

Debra

11-20-2003

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Debra a private message Print Post    
How fun Maris. Thanks for sharing with us.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, July 02, 2010 - 4:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
\jealous

Maris

03-28-2002

Friday, July 02, 2010 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
cooked up my emeril steaks last night and they were delicious.

Allietex

08-16-2002

Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
Enchilada Casserole.

For when you are hungry for enchiladas but don't want to go to the trouble and mess of rolling them.

9 corn tortillas
3 cups grated cheddar cheese. Can use any cheese.
1 cup chopped onions
Chili

Chili recipe

1 pound ground beef
1/2 of the chopped onion
2 cloves garlic chopped fine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder (add more if you like it spicer)
1 can tomato paste or sauce. Paste is better. Makes the chili thicker and richer.
1 cup water

Put olive oil in pan. Saute onions and garlic until soft. Add meat and cook over medium heat until brown. Add spics and tomato paste. Add water and simmer until thick.

Place tortillas one at a time in chili to soften. Use a wide spatula as they will tear easily. Place 3 tortillas in bottom of greased baking dish, arranging them to cover the bottom of the dish. Layer chili, onions, and cheese on meat. Make three layers. Top with a liberal portion of cheese. Grate more if necessary.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Serve with a shredded lettuce and you have a great meal.

If you are in a real hurry, you can use canned chili.

Or use your own favorite chili recipe.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I almost always layer mine. It's just so much easier.

Jarreau

03-02-2008

Friday, August 20, 2010 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jarreau a private message Print Post    
We were just talking about bean dip in the BB thread so, I decided to post my bean dip recipe here. I usually make it for tailgate parties and I promise you, I have seen grown men use their fingers to scrape the side of the dish. It's good and easy.....

RO-TEL'S HEARTY BEAN DIP

2 (16-oz.) cans refried beans

2 (10-oz.) cans Ro-tel Original or Mexican Festival diced tomatoes

2 (2.25-oz.) cans sliced black olives, drained

1/2 cup sliced green onions

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese blend

Tortilla chips

1.Put beans, tomatoes, olives, green onions, parsley or cilantro and garlic salt in slow cooker. Cook on Low for 2 hours. Add cheese and cook on Low for an additional hour.

2.Serve dip with tortilla chips.

Makes 4 cups.

Whoami

08-03-2001

Friday, August 20, 2010 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Looks yummy! I just may have to try it!

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Monday, December 06, 2010 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have a good, easy potato soup recipe? I am having some friends and their kids over for lunch on Sunday before we go to our town's Christmas parade. I want to fix a couple of different kinds of soup that are crowd friendly. I was thinking taco soup and potato soup may be good choices...but I am willing to entertain other options since I love soup and will be fixing it all winter!

Here is one for Spinach Bisque that is easy that I have used in the past.

1/2 c. chopped onion
2 T butter or marg.
1/3 c. flour
1/2 to 1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 1/2 c. milk
1 c. water
3/4 c. cubed American cheese
1 10 oz. pkg of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

Saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and nutmeg. Gradually whisk in milk and water. Add cheese. Cook and stir over medium heat until melted. Add spinach. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.