TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 14, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Crock Pot Cooking: Archive through November 14, 2010 users admin

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Karen is looking for some crock pot ideas, she has so much on her plate right now. I thought that since we couldn't be there to cook for her we could at least help her out with some ideas to take a little of her stress.

quote:

I thought we had a crockpot thread? Hm. Anyways, I need crockpot recipes (or other quick n easy / set-it-n-forget-it types) that don't make mountains of food. With Don and I back and forth to the NICU twice a day, I need something that I can easily throw together in the morning, go about my day, and have ready for a quick meal when he gets home at 7, before we head out again. Any suggestions? We're not big on leftovers, unless they're the freeze-and-eat-three-months-from-now type, so portion size is important. Oh, and we don't have a microwave.

<going now to check my crock pot cookbook>

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Dang, can't find my cookbook - who did I loan it to?

Anyway here's a wonderful site of crock pot recipes that allow you to change the serving size. I looked at a couple of the recipes and they looked good.

http://www.food.com/sitenews/crock-pot-cooking-877

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I like that crockpots make enough to freeze/have left overs! LOL but I usually 'repurpose' the left overs. Example:
put whole pork roast in with packet of onion soup mix and jar of apple sauce. serve with salad and rice.
use left overs for a stir fry or barbecue pork sandwiches
same with a roast. cook it with a jar of peppercini peppers then shred and put in rolls and top with mozzarella
use left overs for tacos

soups, stews are always good and then you can have servings to freeze.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
this isn't crockpot but it's my new favorite under 10 minute dinner.
cook pasta, drain (we like bowtie)
microwave steam fresh veggies (we like the summer veggie mix)
in pasta pot melt butter and olive oil, put back pasta and add veggie; stir on low. add in 3 cubes of laughing cow cheese, stir together till melted and blended.
even my kids raved about it!

Karen

09-06-2004

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karen a private message Print Post    
That pasta sounds good, Texannie! Anything that I can do with minimal effort is awesome right now. It sucks, because I'm such a foodie (I hate using that word to describe me, cause I'm not really, but I am, lol) and I love, love to spend hours in my kitchen making extravagant meals.

Someone here has a tortilla soup recipe they keep raving about. Who is it? How do I make? LOL

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
CROCK POT STEAK FOR TWO

Ingredients:

Thin round steaks
1 small onion
Cream of mushroom soup
Mushrooms

Directions:

1. In crock pot put 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 can of water. Mix together.

2. Cut one small onion, add to soup. Cut mushrooms in half and add to soup.

3. Brown meat in skillet. Put meat in soup in crock pot for 8 hours on low.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
Put a pork roast in with a little bit of water. Cook for 4-6 hours, depending on if it is frozen or not or if your pot cooks fast or not (mine cooks really fast). When done, shred and add your favorite BBQ sauce. Heat until sauce is heated, put on buns and you have easy peasy pulled pork sandwiches. Yum!

Draheid
Board Administrator

09-08-2001

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Draheid a private message Print Post    
Many years ago there was a site called justcrockpotrecipes.com online. Apparently it was last updated in late 2002. However, the 'Wayback Machine' (internet archives) still has a copy of the site, complete with links to many of the recipes, available for access HERE

Another old site was 'Annies Online' which is now Alicia's Recipes. The crockpot section is available HERE

Colordeagua

10-25-2003

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Anyone tried the newish Bush's Grillin' Beans? I particularly like the Black Bean Fiesta "flavor". I put a can of that with 3/4 lbs. cut up boneless / skinless chicken breasts in a crock pot on low overnight. YUM! Three good meals worth for me.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
Here is a link to a blog by a woman that used her crock pot everyday for a year...she has some interesting recipes:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

Panda

07-15-2005

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
same with a roast. cook it with a jar of peppercini peppers then shred and put in rolls and top with mozzarella

You had me at peppercini peppers-I am so making this, I have read about using a jar of pickles but that sounds way better!! Yes there was a crock pot thread b/c I once made someone's pot roast recipe!

Sia

03-10-2002

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
Ever make a tuna noodle casserole? I substitute chicken for the tuna because my hubby prefers chicken--and if my Dad comes over, he won't touch the tuna! (Cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts and chop before tossing in the crockpot--or use canned chicken for speed) and add your usual stuff:

3 fresh chicken breasts, cooked and chopped OR
2 small or 1 large can chicken breast, drained
Pasta of your choice, cooked al dente
2 regular-size cans Campbell's cream soup, your Your choice of the following: cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of broccoli, and/or celery
Diced Vidalia or other sweet onion
Can of peas, drained
Can or two of sliced mushrooms, drained
Dollop of Miracle Whip
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
Sliced water chestnuts, chopped smaller
1/4 to 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)

If you think you won't have enough time to get the onions done in the hours you have available for cooking, just heat them in a skillet till translucent; it speeds your cooking time.

The crockpot is a great way to make your favorite casseroles in the summer when you don't want to heat up the kitchen by turning on the oven!

Sia

03-10-2002

Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
The biggest village close to where we live just had its annual fall festival, and DH brought home a really delicious dish that I think would be easy to fix in the crockpot. He didn't tell me what name was give to it on the food cart, but I will call it Barbecued Chicken/Beans/Rice.

Pre-cook rice (I would use brown, but white was what DH brought home in the dish from the fair.)
Cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks. Ideally, you'd grill the chicken--or utilize leftover chicken you had from a grill meal the night before!!
Open a can of beans & drain the liquid off them(navy, white, pinto, kidney--whatever is your favorite; the dish from the festival were navy beans)
Barbecue sauce

Throw together in the crockpot and let heat through; should take an hour or two to get hot enough, and would hold warm very well on low heat until dinnertime.

Colordeagua

10-25-2003

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Or just use can of whichever flavor of Bush's Grillin' Beans that you like. My fav is Black Bean Fiesta. Can of that, plus chicken breasts cut up into chunks in the crock pot for however long. YUM! I use app. 3/4 lb. chicken. Cook in crock pot for about ten hours. Makes three good size servings for me.

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
Anyone have a beef stew in the crockpot recipe that they could share?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
This is yummy. Layer (from bottom to top) 2-3 chopped & skinned potatoes, 1 med.-large onion chunked, 3-4 large, chopped carrots, 8-12 oz. sliced mushrooms, 1 1/2 lbs. stew meat. In a bowl mix: 1 can condensed tomato soup, 1 Tb. beef bouillon, 1 C red wine (or water), 1/4 C flour, 1 tsp. each oregano, basil, parsley, and 1/4-1/2 tsp. pepper. Whisk well and pour over meat and veggies. Cook on low 8 hours.

Colordeagua

10-25-2003

Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Quoting myself:

Or just use can of whichever flavor of Bush's Grillin' Beans that you like. My fav is Black Bean Fiesta. Can of that, plus chicken breasts cut up into chunks in the crock pot for however long. YUM! I use app. 3/4 lb. chicken. Cook in crock pot for about ten hours. Makes three good size servings for me.

It's cookin' in the pot at this moment -- overnight.

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Friday, November 05, 2010 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
Thanks Teach. I couldn't for the life of me figure out the liquid part and I wouldn't have thought to put in the mushrooms. I can always count on advice from a TVCH'er.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, November 05, 2010 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) We make it w/venison usually (DH can't have too much red meat), and it is one of our favorites during the fall and winter months.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, November 05, 2010 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Dunno if y'all have seen this, but there's a woman who did a year's worth of crock pot cooking (similar to the Julie/Julia thing). She's got a book out, but she's also got a blog: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ (her name is Stephanie O'Dea).

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Friday, November 05, 2010 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
sue, i discussed her last year when we hat the crockpot thread. i found her when she started the blog and have made many wonderful dishes. everyone should try her refried bean soup. it is awesome!

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
Texannie, I just made your pasta, veggies and laughing cow cheese. I added some precooked chicken to it and wow was that good. Thank you for a really fast easy and good meal.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
isn't it just the easiest AND best tasting??!!! i love when "nothing in the fridge let's just toss all these things together cause in theory it should taste good" actually works! LOL

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Is that the Laughing Cow "original flavor" swiss? I was going to try your recipe but never bought Laughing Cow before, and didn't realize there were so many flavors!

Countrydaze

11-07-2003

Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Countrydaze a private message Print Post    
I brought the low fat one and it was so good. What do you use Texannie. I just love this recipe, good and easy.